What options do I have?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I lurk here a lot, and love to read everyone's experiences with natural childbrith.

D and I are planning to start TTC in about 8-10 months and I REALLY want to have a natural childbirth. I do not want drugs in my body, and especially not the baby's (if I can help it).

I live in a pretty rural area in Atlantic Canada. Midwives are legal in our province now, but due to the high costs for them, they only really exist in places where hospitals employ them. Unfortunatly for me, they are all way too far from my home to utilize them, and unless something changes in the next year or so, I will have to give birth at our local hospital.

I've read a bit about hypnobabies and the Bradley method. I was leaning more towards the Bradley method, but there are NO instructors here.

Can anyone reccommed some resources for me that will teach me to prepare my body and mind(even starting now) for a natural birth? Any books? Links? etc.

I am a HUGE wimp, so I definately need a plan and a method for when I finally give birth.

October 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i would start reading anything by ina may gaskin you can get your hands on

and there's a great book by henci goer (sp?) but i can't think of the name of it..i have it, but its upstairs...

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is there maybe an online class you can watch for one of the methods you'd like to use? Even if its not interactive, the visuals could help aid in understanding the books you read.

I did almost did med free, but had pitocin and just couldn't quite do it. I did avoid an epidural though. This is just my 2 cents, but what helped me the absolute most was a good labor partner (DH) who supported and encouraged me. Another thing that helped a lot was knowing the non-medicated pain management techniques like using counter pressure on your lower back for contractions, using alternative methods to push (ie- not laying on my back), moving during labor, laboring in a tub or shower, birthing ball (or just an exercise ball) etc.

Good luck!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
Is there maybe an online class you can watch for one of the methods you'd like to use? Even if its not interactive, the visuals could help aid in understanding the books you read.

Just so you know, I had a completely natural (not-even-an-IV-natural) birth at a local hospital. Some of the biggest things were making sure I knew my stuff (we did Bradley classes and I read everything I could lay my hands on) and choosing a SUPPORTIVE provider. For me, that meant a provider who encouraged, not just "tolerated," NCB. Also, know the attitudes toward NCB and the policies at the hospital you are going to deliver at and write a polite, concise birth plan.

I could go on forever, but I'll just say that you can have a natural birth in a hospital. You may have to "fight" a bit harder, but it can be done and it can be WONDERFUL! Good luck!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
October 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I don't know much about Bradley... I did the hypnobabies homestudy. I thought they had a lot of great information. I also like the mindset it puts you in. I was not afraid going into my labor.

October 23rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She Births: A Moderns Womans Guide to an Ancient Right of Passage

Birthing From Within

The Official Lamaze Guide- Giving Birth with Confidence

Labor Pain: A Natural Approach to Easing Delivery
October 23rd, 2010, 09:08 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth With Confidence, among a few others.

I was able to have a NCB in a hospital. You just have to learn to trust your body and not be afraid of labor. Remember that labor pain has a purpose and it won't last forever.
October 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
look around at the hospitals in your area, you should be able to find something that matches your desires. Then find out who delivers there and choose the most NCB friendly one on the list.

and check out the subforum here for lots of info, links, etc.
October 25th, 2010, 04:24 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Thanks for all the help so far!

Unfortuanley for me, there's only one hospital that I can really give birth at. From what I have heard though, they seem to be pretty laid back in the sense that they won't push things on you unless absolutly necessary.

October 25th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I can't really handle Ina May, I struggle to read her stuff. I do love "Active Birth" by Janet Balaskas (minus some of the spiritual side of yoga that she gets into, I had to skip that). She really explains the science of how birth works and that helped me sooo much. I just finished reading "Childbirth Wisdom" by Judith Goldsmith, it's about tribal birth and it was fascinating. There were a lot of things that the tribal people did that have been proven wrong (like denying a baby colostrum...it seemed to scare them because it made the baby poop a ton-but now we know they NEED to poop a lot after birth to clear out their intestinal tract), but the way they handled birth was really amazing. Right now I'm reading "Gentle Birth Choices" by Barbara Harper. I've only just finished chapter 1, but I like it a lot so far. She's one of the first to have a water birth in the US.

I think it's AWESOME that you are learning NOW and wanting to be prepared. You can do it! I'm a huge wimp too (ask my dh, I cry about tiny little pain), but I've done it twice now without meds and I'll never look back. Doesn't mean I won't bed during labor (when transition hits), but yeah.

And read birth stories. Any, homebirth, natural, purposely medicated, hospital, c-section...you can learn little bits of things from all of them. I was recently rec'd the book "The Baby Catcher" by Peggy Vincent. It's a colleciton of birth stories. So far I really like it a lot.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
October 25th, 2010, 01:15 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did the Bradley method with my NCB just from reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. There are no classes offered where I live either. I know of myself and three other women here who successfully did it that way. Oh, and I just labored at home until the last possible minute and then went to the hospital. I never had my baby monitored or any IVs or anything. I literally walked into the hospital, layed down on the bed where they assess you, and the nurses delivered my little boy. I wouldn't have had it any other way!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search