Curious

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you get to eat during labor?

If you did, was it "real food" or liquids like jello, broth and dry toast?

I'm really considering pushing to be able to eat more than dry toast and juice during labor, plus I'm hoping to labor at home for the most part so I'll be able to snack at home. I'm thinking it will help me keep energy up more than the jello, broth and toast I got ONCE in 24 hours of labor (and then I pushed for two hours). I'm just curious what everyone else did and what their experience was. I know a friend who basically hid her food that she brought from the nurses, but I don't really want to do that just in case something happens, they should know that I've been eating.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was able to eat whatever I wanted at the Birth Center. I had no urge to eat, but I got really weak around 20 hours in and ate 2 milk shakes It is CRIMINAL to not allow women to eat food.

October 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I never had any desire to eat during labor so it never came up... but with my first (hospital birth) I drank a ton of water, but eating was never part of the discussion. I did have some oatmeal early in the morning before heading to the hospital though.

With my second (birth center) I didn't eat anything -drank water though - but I would have been allowed to if I'd wanted

my third (home birth) again, I had no desire to eat, but my midwife made me

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 22nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital I birthed at really encouraged food during labor if you were up for it. I didn't have an IV for the first 20 hours or so, so they kept ordering me apple juice, plus I had brought Gatorade with me. I ate things like peanut butter on graham crackers, fruit, jello, pudding. I tried to keep it neutral and bland, because I was afraid of what it might do to my poor laboring tummy!

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

October 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hospital didn't allow anything but ice chips and popsicles, not even water. After my labor was over I said something about how I would just wait for the ice chips to melt and have little sips of water and one of the nurses told me I wasn't supposed to do that.

By the time I got there I didn't really feel like eating anything. We got to the hospital around 9 PM and Vincent was born at 3 AM and the thought of eating something never once crossed my mind. Earlier that day while I was in early labor at home I was careful not to eat anything heavy and didn't really want to. I think I just had things like pudding, applesauce, toast, etc.

October 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a few granola bars & water. That was pretty much it; I wasn't really hungry after the strong contractions kicked in. It was after delivery that the unbelievable hunger kicked in. I had the food the hospital gave me & then Mike brought me a Wawa sandwich. I was non-stop hungry for about 2 days after Avery was born.
October 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I was in labor for 30+ hours. The first 20 hours were at home and i ate just regular food. I had a full chicken dinner! The rest was at the hospital in active labor and food was the last thing i was thinking about. The nurses were encouraging me to drink alot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEliz View Post
It was after delivery that the unbelievable hunger kicked in.

Soooo true! They brought me a breakfast tray shortly after i delivered my son. I looked at it thinking... i don't want this. Then i had a taste... and then practically licked the plate clean. Best tasting hospital food ever!!! lol. Labor will do that to ya i guess.

October 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I had a hospital birth with a Midwife so I was encouraged to eat and drink as
I pleased. I took a case of Boost, a box of granola bars and water. I had most of it gone by the time DS arrived and finished the rest after (and stiil could have happily polished off a meal for 5).
October 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I remember I was starving afterwards. By the time we got to our room it was still too early for breakfast (about 5 AM) and I asked for some food. They brought me a turkey sandwich and I had not eaten deli meat once during my pregnancy (did not appeal to me at all) and that was the first thing I ate after he was born and it was probably the best turkey sandwich I've every had! I think I cleaned my plate at every meal while I was in the hospital.

October 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Army_Wife's Avatar Blessed times 3!
I was allowed to eat and drink, but food wasn't appealing once the hard contractions began. I drank a lot of water and sprite during my labor.

October 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I could eat whatever I wanted, but all I wanted was Poweraid. I think I had 2 bottles. I wasn't even that hungry afterwards, they made me eat some cereal that I brought with me.
October 22nd, 2010, 08:09 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only wanted ginger ale while I was in labor. After I was so hungry, too. Someone ended up eating my dinner, so I had to wait a little bit to eat. I brought OJ in a thermos and I think it was the best drink I've ever had.

October 22nd, 2010, 10:03 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't hungry during labor either. I brought a bunch of snacks, granola bars, yogurt, things like that, but I didn't eat any of it. I drank a bunch of gatorade though which I promptly threw up. I don't think the hospital can actually prevent you from eating even if they try. After though, a whole other story. I was starving and the hospital food was just gross. I had people bringing me all kinds of yummy food the entire time I was there....

October 22nd, 2010, 10:10 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so jealous. Once I was at the hospital all I was offered were things like broth, jello, juice and dry toast. Their toast SUCKED... It was super stale or something and it just wasn't appealing. I remember wanting mashed potatoes sooo bad.

The reason I ask is because of my first experience with L&D. I went into labor around 7-8 on March 16th, I ate my normal dinner and went to bed. Water broke around 2-3 am, can't remember exactly when.. so I went to the hospital. I did take snacks, but for some reason I just didn't remember I had them. DH didn't eat at all through my entire labor, I don't know how on earth he did that. But the only thing they brought was breakfast . They brought me one measly tray of breakfast food mid morning before they started my pitocin (hah, last meal?) and it just blew. Strawberry jello (I hate jello), beef broth, apple juice, a carton of milk, black coffee no cream or sugar, and this digusting whole wheat toast that was so obviously stale and one tiny pack of butter to put on both pieces. "both pieces" btw.. refers to the one slice they divided diagonally.

I barely ate any of it and wanted to ask for more and different food, but then they started my pitocin drip and although I still felt hungry and we passed many meal times, they didn't bring anything else . So I while at the hossy from 2am until 6:08 pm, that's all I had to eat. Lots of water, but I wanted FOOD! They brought a dinner to me after DS was born... a pork chop (way over cooked), mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, a roll and a big piece of chocolate cake with some juice and a carton of milk.

I think I might have lost all dignity and actually licked the plate. lol

SO yeah.. I want to eat this time around. Maybe even if I have to smuggle it in like I do at the movie theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathode View Post
I wasn't hungry during labor either. I brought a bunch of snacks, granola bars, yogurt, things like that, but I didn't eat any of it. I drank a bunch of gatorade though which I promptly threw up. I don't think the hospital can actually prevent you from eating even if they try. After though, a whole other story. I was starving and the hospital food was just gross. I had people bringing me all kinds of yummy food the entire time I was there....
Yeah I barely ate hospital food after I was done with that meal after DS was born. Family brought yummy stuff plus we had the snacks we brought. My MIL, however much she can annoy me at times, brought the most awesome post partum hospital gift to my room ever. She brought one of those edible fruit arrangements. It was just a small one for me and it was gone within an hour.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
October 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
After over a day of labor at the birth center, then a csection, they would not let me eat. i was so hungry after DD was born and they brought me jello and chicken soup and i am a vegetarian. i cried i was so hungry. they brought me juice. ugh. i could not eat, per their orders, until the next day!

October 23rd, 2010, 06:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll be delivering at a birth center and they actually encourage that you eat. They gave me a whole list of food and drinks that they suggest. It's upstairs right now and I'm too lazy to go get it, but it's nothing that's too heavy basically, to minimize the chance that you'll vomit during labor. They also encourage things like gatorade, etc.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
October 23rd, 2010, 07:11 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first birth, no. I had a hospital birth and they don't let you have anything.

With my second birth, yes. But I had a homebrith, so no restrictions. I ate peanutbutter sandwhiches (cut into four so they were small) and yogurt. I also took a sip of water after every contraction during transition because I was really thirsty but knew if I gulpped it I would vomit.
October 23rd, 2010, 08:22 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They started my pit at 2am or 3am, and I ordered breakfast at 7 or 8am...I had frosted flakes, french toast and fruit. Around 1PM I ordered the fruit and cheese tray (that I ended up not eating much of, but my DH was eternally grateful for it..I had to yell at a nurse who tried to send it away..in the middle of a contraction!)

at one point i was STARVING at my CNM brought me a popsicle...I was shocked at how full I felt from that popsicle, but I was pissed when that's what we brought me. (They were really concerned about c-section because of Bry's decels, otherwise my CNM has no restrictions to food/drink in labor)...and I drank copious amounts of water the entire time I was in labor.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my 1st in the hospital I was only allowed liquids until by water broke and then nothing (though I snuck in juice boxes and hard candy). My 2nd at home, I had a burger about 1hour and 1/2 before the birth.

October 23rd, 2010, 02:41 PM
purplelady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was never hungry during labor. but with my third the birthing center told me i could if i wanted to. i just drank lots of water.

mom to Tru(12), Rienn (8), Rowan (3) and twin angels: Valhalla grace & Kjartan michael 12-5-10 (due 6/20/11)
NFC west Division champions '04,'05,'06,'07

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search