how to get a negative gbs test

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2010, 11:35 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I remember awhile ago there was a "recipe" to get a negative gbs test...it involved hibeclens, probiotics and maybe sex? Can anyone help me out here...I'm on my phone but I did briefly check the subforum gbs thread and didn't see it....thanks everyone!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 24th, 2010, 01:51 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it might be in one of those links, just not a specific link itself
October 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Ya I could only open a couple from my phone :/...ill double check when I get home I'm just out with a friend who is 33w and was + last time

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 24th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did some research on it, and found that garlic should take care of it. Smash a garlic clove, wrap it in some kind of gauze, leaving enough to pull on to get it out, and do that for a few days. You might want to look up the details. I asked my midwife about it, but she said if I test positive, then I have to get the antibiotics, even if I re-test negative. I never really thought of treating for it before I do the test!

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

October 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
My midwife said "you can do your own swab or i can do it" i was NOT expecting that and let her do it, but I totally could have gone into the bathroom and pretended to swab myself! LOL.

October 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I swabbed myself with brylie, but it was still +..boo

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but why not take the test? If you do have GBS, you will only have to be on an IV for about 45 minutes every 4 hours before the birth. This is really not that big of a deal when you think of the risks involved to your baby if you do have GBS. Risks include: breathing difficulties, gastrointestinal and kidney problems, and possibly pneumonia and meningitis. There is a 1 in 200 chance that your baby will contract GBS if you are untreated, but I still don't like those odds.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
October 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I don't want an IV, and there are other options to treat it such as hibeclens washes

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Plus antibiotics lead to an increase of yeast such as thrush, which can destroy breastfeeding.

PLUS, the actual scientific evidence says our practice of treating all babies of moms who tested positive 4+ weeks before the birth does not at all decrease the incidence of GBS compared to countries where no one is tested. So it's just more bunk gift wrapped for us by our Obstretic system.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; October 24th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
October 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
thanx sk8r...i was guna say the same line of stuff but too much from my phone

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 25th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Mmm...abx, yummy. What a way to start out life...

I've only done the test with #1 and #2 and was neg both times, but I'd totally insert garlic vaginally for a week or so leading up to the test. And if I was worried about being positive I'd do the same in the weeks leading up to the birth. You can also take oral garlic softgels or just swallow a garlic clove.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
October 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Interesting info ladies, thanks! I took the test but it was negative. I Was just wondering the reasoning and now I know!

[url=http://lilypie.com]
October 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me the hibiclens washes wouldn't have worked seing as my labors are so fast. Also in that case I wouldn't be able to get abx fast enough and soon enough. But since a short labor means the membranes aren't ruptured long and the baby doens't take an extended period of time to come out therefore not exposed long, all those things decrease the risks of the baby getting sick.

A point that I didn't realize while I was first looking into the hibeclens was that it was a temporary solution. It doesn't treat the actual GBS, it washes it away temporarily but it comes back within a short period of time... I wanna say a few hours? Meaning that you would have to time it very well both while taking the test or during labor.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 25th, 2010, 09:29 AM
one of my best friends is a CNM and she says for her patients who opt for the hibeclens, she does the wash every 3 hours after the membranes have ruptured

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
jillmarie's Avatar Veteran
I was negative last pregnancy. I hope I'm negative this time. I am horribly allergic to any antibiotics I have ever taken and I don't want to risk it especially with a new baby, what if the baby had a reaction? If I am positive this time, how can I avoid using antibiotics?

October 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
jill you would have to talk to your provider about doing something like hibeclens, or something like that. you can have a lot of sex, too, to kill the GBS. and like some others have said, insert garlic vaginally (im not sure how to do this, I will research it though) and take garlic capsules.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
My practice tests at 36 weeks so starting at 34 weeks I'll be doubling my current daily probiotic dosage. At 35 weeks I'll start doing a daily Hibiclens wash and two days before the test I'll be doing it three times daily.

I was negative with my first and I don't know what my status was with my second. The lab mixed up my results with two other women and so we all were considered "positive" (don't get me started on THAT...). I'm desperate to avoid a positive result this time as I'm highly allergic to penicillin and mildly allergic to clindamycin. During Violet's labor I was on a combo of clindamycin and benadryl and I was absolutely miserable.

October 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes View Post
My practice tests at 36 weeks so starting at 34 weeks I'll be doubling my current daily probiotic dosage. At 35 weeks I'll start doing a daily Hibiclens wash and two days before the test I'll be doing it three times daily.

I was negative with my first and I don't know what my status was with my second. The lab mixed up my results with two other women and so we all were considered "positive" (don't get me started on THAT...). I'm desperate to avoid a positive result this time as I'm highly allergic to penicillin and mildly allergic to clindamycin. During Violet's labor I was on a combo of clindamycin and benadryl and I was absolutely miserable.
will you PM me your probiotic regimen

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search