Umbilical Cord ramblings

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vincent had a 2-vessel cord and was also born with a nuchal cord, which we didn't know about prior to birth. I know nuchal cords are fairly common but I was wondering if a known nuchal cord automatically indicates a need for a c-section. Obviously babies are born healthy with a nuchal cord but if it is known to be around the neck do they automatically want to do a c-section? I would think so, given the risk, so I feel very fortunate that we didn't know about it beforehand and that it didn't cause any problems.

I think umbilical cord anomalies are interesting. I will always wonder why Vincent's had only one artery and how/why it is related to his kidney issues. I sometimes wonder if there was something environmental that occurred at a certain point of development that caused these things or if it is just a fluke occurence or what. I also wish I had had the presence of mind to ask to see the cord and the placenta after he was born. I kind of wish I had a picture of his two-vessel cord now that I have read up about it some more.

October 25th, 2010, 05:04 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a good question.... I don't *think* it necessitates an immediate c-section, given the frequency with which nuchal cords happen. My first died of a cord problem (though not your typical cord accident) so if I had known that Kate had a nuchal (which she did) I would have flipped out. I know during labor if they notice decels that are an indicator of a nuchal cord most OBs won't let you keep going too long. I never did ask my midwives about the cord and what they would do.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know anyone who has had a c/s just for nuchal cord. I do know some who were told after the fact that the cord may have contributed to the reason for their c/s - especially c/s for decels or failure to descend.

October 25th, 2010, 07:11 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was suspected that Brylie's cord was around her neck before I was in labor. I was getting NST's 2x a week, and the u/s tech thought the cord was around her neck at the one the day I got induced, but she didn't really look well. My CNM said it was fine, and I think the fact that she knew the cord was probably around her neck kept me out of the OR - because her HR kept dropping very low - but would recover nicely (except for once, it dropped into the 30's and didn't come back up for like 3 contractions..my CNM actually called the OR and told them to be on standby) but it was in fact wrapped very loosely around Brylie's neck, which my CNM said was fine for the most part, it was just a little more "dangerous" during the actual birth because it was hanging her each time I pushed, but she was still getting oxygen through the cord so it wasn't a HUGE concern.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
October 25th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I would have been pretty nervous if I had known about it. I don't know whether his cord was loose around his neck or what. I actually didn't even know he had a nuchal cord until I read the report on my labor and delivery a couple weeks later - I don't know if they just didn't tell me at the time or if I was so tired I don't remember, but I'm kind of glad they didn't. I honestly don't remember a lot about the end of my labor but it did seem like there was some concern over DS's heart rate - but at the time I just thought it was because of difficulties trying to keep the monitor in place. I guess maybe he was having some decels because of the nuchal cord.

This may also seem like a dumb question but does anyone know if there's any reason that an amniotomy would be more dangerous or risky if there is a nuchal cord? I had them break my water when I was 9.5 cm and I wish I hadn't just because it wasn't necessary. But out of curiosity I just wonder if having the fluid there longer would be more beneficial to a baby whose cord is around the neck - or would it not make any difference?

October 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
IMO, the dangers of amniotomy comes from when they rupture the bag before the baby is engaged, which can cause a prolapsed cord...or when they do it too early, because it can put you on a clock. at 9.5cm I wouldn't really consider it a risk, but that's just my

I asked if I should be concerned that they suspected a nuchal cord, and both the high risk doc who was there when I got induced, and my CNM said no because so many baby's are born with nuchal cords..what was the difference if they knew about it or not? they said like 50% of babies (I think?? I don't remember exactly the %) are born with the cord around their neck

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 25th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
IMO, the dangers of amniotomy comes from when they rupture the bag before the baby is engaged, which can cause a prolapsed cord...or when they do it too early, because it can put you on a clock. at 9.5cm I wouldn't really consider it a risk, but that's just my

I think that's what I was thinking when I asked them to do it. It was probably going to rupture soon anyway - I doubt he would have been born en caul. But how rare would that have been - a baby born en caul with a 2-vessel nuchal cord? I think I read that the rate for nuchal cords was about 15%, for 2-vessel cords it's about 1% (in singletons), and being born en caul is probably less than .1%. If I was good at math I could figure out the chances of that.

October 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I think my CNM was referring to how many babies she has delivered with nuchal cords maybe? Because I think I asked "how many babies do you see with the cord around the neck?" and she replied "about 50%" (I just asked Sam, because I didn't remember exactly)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
October 26th, 2010, 10:26 AM
That's quite a lot! It's good to know it must not be that dangerous if it happens so often.

October 26th, 2010, 06:56 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Both of my girls had cords wrapped around their necks. I know it didn't make a difference for Lily as I was monitored the whole labor and she looked perfect as soon as she was born. Who knows with Abri- no monitoring but she didn't look very good when she was born. There was meconium and she was pretty grey and lifeless looking so they whisked her to the warmer immediately. It was such a hard and fast labor that I wonder if the nuchal cord was causing issues for her.
October 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
CJ's cord was wrapped around his neck at birth also- it was never detected and I was having weekly NST's and u/s's. It was mentioned at his birth-mainly as a note. but I am assuming it was lightly wrapped and happened during his rapid decent.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search