Would really appreciate your input...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I have been told that I will be in nursing clinicals this winter and it is only 5 semesters long... I have been contemplating so many ideas in my head about get my LC license as well and becoming a Midwife...

Tonight I was online and there was an ad for an online university that with a BSN I could get my MSN Midwife RN license through.

My question is with my CNM license, do I have to practice under an OB?? I just don't know if I would want to practice under an OB and have to worry about intervention alley!!??
October 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the rules are different everywhere. Here in Texas, the CNMs definitely do not have to practice under OBs.

ETA: Any CNMs who want to deliver in hospitals do have to work under OBs.

October 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So what kind of MW work with birthing centers or homebirths?
October 25th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Here we have 4 birth centers run by CNMs. The midwives at 2 of them also do homebirths, the midwives at the other two do birth centers only. My midwife (a CPM) is opening a birth center with another CPM and a CNM, and they will all continue to attend homebirths. There are 3 more birth centers run by CPMs and I believe all the midwives do homebirths as well. All of the midwives here who do homebirth only are all CPMs or DEMs, except one or two lone CNMs.

October 26th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Can a CNM work under an OB and still be NCB friendly?
October 26th, 2010, 07:29 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think personally she can believe whatever she wants and hopefully influence some of the hospital staff. But I would bet that in the same way that choosing your place to birth is SO important when you are the birthing woman, choosing your overseeing OB and hospital would be important if you want to be NCB. You might have an uphill battle on your hands if your POV differs from the OB or if hospital policies are in conflict of NCB. You would probably have to choose do you want to be in conflict with your doc and hospital all the time but potentially make a difference for birthing women or do you want a nice work environment and just be a great care provider for women whether they choice natural or not.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM
And to be quite honest, midwives aren't given a lot of respect in hospitals. If you are in conflict with the OB/hospital too much, you'll pretty much be gone.
For hospital midwives, no matter what they believe about NCB, their stats pretty much tend to resemble their overseeing OB's as far as inductions/cesareans, etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search