Question about how best to approach natural birth with induction

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
KogerBaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So to give you all a little background on my self. I have been planning on a natural birth in a hospital all along. I have a fantastic OB who is has been completely on board with my plans since day one. Well 3 weeks ago i was put on bed rest due to high blood pressure and preeclampsia. Now due to my condition i will be induced 3 weeks early (most likely Nov 20th) My OB is still very supportive of my wish for a natural birth and has told me that i should still be able to have this and i shouldn't give up on it just because of the induction, she has said that i do need to keep in mind that due to the high BP concerns i will most likely be limited in the amount and type of movement that i will be allowed to do. I am just wondering in any of you BTDT moms have been through this and if you have any words of wisdom and advice for me.
October 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are different levels and methods with induction. With my 1st son I had to be induced because of low fluid. They used cervidel overnight (I was only 1 cm when they started induction), I had some mild contraction throughout the next day (eventhough I was still at 1cm) and convinced them to let me walk and see if I could progress. My 7pm that night I was at 3cm and they wanted to try pitocin. I suggested they break my water 1st to see if that put me into active labor and if that did not work we could still try pitocin. They broke my water and my son was born 2 hours later naturally.

Long story short, certain methods have less of an impact on your pain level, so I would try things in phases and see if you can get into labor with less invasive means (cervadel, catheter/balloon, AROM). I never had pitocin so I do not have a long of suggestions with that, other than the Bradley method is usable while in bed (as I am sure other methods are too).

October 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
If you need pitocin, see if there is an option to turn it off once labor starts. Good luck!

October 29th, 2010, 08:24 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
bedrest seems so contradictory to me for HBP. (I had hbp too and was put on bedrest, but I didn't abide)...activity keeps your BP low! Days when I just sat around my BP would be like 140/80, days when i would go for a walk or swim it would be like 120/60. I did end up being induced for other symptoms (headache, blurrrrry vision and bloodwork) and I was given cytotec (which I fought, but after talking to several outside midwives that I am friend with, and my cousin who is an OB I did consent to it, because I was like a -10 on the bishop scale, and I didn't think it would be wise to go straight to pitocin)...and that dilated me to a 1 and made me 20% effaced...my CNM started the pit very low and upped it every 20-30 minutes by 2mL until I got more effaced (about 2 hours?) and then put the foley bulb in which took me to 4cm...then she AROM (trying to keep pit down low) and i stayed at 4cm for several hours..and my pit did end up getting quite high (36mL at one point, but my CNM flipped out and turned it down)....but my body just wasn't ready for labor.

so if I knew I was facing an induction some things I would do:

EPO and RRLT like crazy (of course standard dosage)..acupuncture for pre-e (to see if you can stall/prevent your induction)...and get a doula. i would also start writing positive affirmations that i could refer to when i was in labor - whether i taped them to hte bathroom wall of my room, or simply had my husband/doula say them to me.

good luck and i hope you don't need the induction!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search