Had a 29 week appointment and discussed the birth plan...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Arachne
Well, almost 29 weeks. We did go over my birth plan a little bit, he said the only issues he saw, were the hospital would want me to have an IV, "just in case." I'm willing to work with this... although, I'll have my husband watching my IV like a hawk. Just in case anyone decides to sneak me a little something, know what I mean?

The other thing, is, he said being a squatting position while pushing, was fine, however, for delivery, "how did I think he was going to see anything? How do you think I can get down there? There's only so much room between you and the floor." And I was like "Well, I dunno how the beds are there, I thought of that, and thought squatting on the bed, and resting on my husband for support, might work. Then again, there's only so much room between me and the bed..."

So, I can push in a squatting position, but not deliver? He did say, if I did, it wouldn't be a controlled delivery/pushing type thing, I assume because he couldn't see well enough?

I DO have that I'd want to try delivering on all fours, if I felt up to it, and I assume he saw that, and that is okay. So, what? I'm supposed to push until baby boy crowns, and then he expects me to get on my back? I guess it's better than being stuck on my back the whole time... he did say, at my next appointment, to tell the receptionist to make it a little longer, so we could go over my birth plan more thoroughly.

It SOUNDS like they're willing to work with me on most of this, the really important things, at least. I guess we'll see for sure at my appointment in 2 weeks... he was also a little cranky, though.
October 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
way to discuss this and standing your ground.

nak

October 30th, 2010, 12:31 AM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
instead on an IV can you get the hep lock w/o the IV, that way it's all set up in case you "need" it?

it sounds like he is willing to work with you on stuff, but i don't know why you couldn't be in any position you want to push. doctors confuse me!
nice to know that you will have more time to discuss things at your next appt.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
October 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Arachne
I'll ask about the heplock! It'd cause me less worry, otherwise I'd get all shifty eyed any time a nurse came in, to make sure they weren't trying to mess with my IV. I'd have to make my husband watch my IV line like a hawk, too.

I dunno, his issue seemed to be, I could push in whatever position I wanted, but for like, delivery, he didn't understand how he'd be able to really see anything, you know? So... I can push up in a squatting position until when? Until baby boy crowns? Then I have to try and get on my back (could be difficult) or on all fours (probably easier to get into that position from a squatting position) to deliver? That confused me a little. I mean, what?

Do I push in a squatting position until he hits the birth canal, and then I have to move into another position? I guess I'll have to get him to elaborate more next time.

I'm kind of unconcerned about him being able to see, really. Seriously. Put your hand down there and apply some counter pressure, so that baby boy comes out fine, but not too quickly, so hopefully it'll help prevent tearing, too. What does he think he needs to see a whole lot for?
October 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You could always just zone out during pushing (it is pretty intense) and woops! The baby came out before he could get in there! As long as you don't have to push for an hour.
And I think they like to see down there to make sure there's not a hand coming out, and to make sure the cord isn't wrapped around the neck. This is something he can easily feel with his hand, no need to see. In fact, you could feel for it yourself, but I doubt your OB would trust you to do it. :/

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

October 31st, 2010, 06:43 AM
noworries
I agree about getting a heplock instead of an IV. I had to have at least a heplock during my birth with Isaac but never had to have it hooked up to an IV and I insisted they take it out right after the birth.
October 31st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good on you for standing your ground, but I find it strange that the doctor feels he has a say on the position you have to be in to deliver... Doctors are weird!
November 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM
Arachne
You're right, Katy. He probably wouldn't trust me to feel on my own. As long as he agrees to 95% of what I have, I'm ok. I figure, the pushing/delivery... he's already said I could push in whichever... and maybe I'll just "OOPS!" and not hear him say I need to move for delivery, ya know?

I get the feeling, squatting and pushing is going to be easier for me to get in tune with, than all fours and pushing, however... all fours, is better than on my back. I'm very much playing the pushing/delivery by ear. Doc says one thing, I've been known to "oops" and do what I want.

I'm going to ask about a heplock instead of an IV... although, having something hanging out in my vein, doesn't seem very appealing. AT ALL.

Kiwi - I concur, as to how I think it's odd that he wants to tell me what position I can deliver in... I suppose I'm pleased that he's at least willing to let me push in a squatting position, and maybe we can work on somethign to he feels he has enough "room to see" and he isn't just insisting I lay in bed, and push on my back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search