Cervical Check Questions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Arachne
How important are cervical checks at 32+ weeks? Seriously? I could see 36, or 38 weeks. But, 32 and 34 weeks? Is there ANYTHING a doctor can do, if you're say, 4cm at 32 or 34 weeks? I mean really, what can be done? Not to mention, doesn't it just get depressing to be at 2cm, 3cm, 4cm, or whatever for so long? If I'm 4cm dilated, or 5cm, is sex still okay? There's not a chance of him breaking my water?

Also, my husband says "well, if you're dilating at 32 weeks, they can do stuff, they can prepare you." Really? Truly? I mean... I could hang out at 4cm for a month, couldn't i? I could go from 0 dilation to 5cm and laboring pretty much over night, right?

I know there are drugs to slow down/stop contractions if I were in preterm labor, but if I wasn't having contractions, and it was just some dilating, I wasn't sure there was much they could do about dilation, though.

With as frequently as my husband is down there though, wouldn't he notice if my cervix was dilating any? He's aware of what it feels like, typically... (I, apparently, have kind of a short birth canal.) I'm sure he'd spaz and say something if he noticed anything funny about it.

I'm just waffling back and forth between whether or not I want to do cervical checks at 32/34 weeks, or hold them off until I'm at least 36 weeks...
October 31st, 2010, 01:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Unless there is concerns about preterm labour there is no reason to check until you are in labour. Even then - it's not really necessary. I had two - one when my midwives came to my house (I was around 4) and one several hours later to see how it was going (I was at 5 - they didn't tell me ) My water broke on the second check (by accident - she was going to ask if I wanted her to.) and they would have done a third check after transition when I wanted to push - just to be sure I was fully dilated - but I just had to push - there was no checking gonna happen!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
October 31st, 2010, 06:17 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, no need for cervical checks at all, at any point really. Baby is going to come when baby is going to come. As long as your water hasn't broken it is safe to have sex. But if I knew I was 4cm+, personally I think it would weird me out. 3cm and smaller, I would be fine.

You're right, it is just going to excite you unnecessarily or disappoint you, both of which you don't need to be. Or if you happen to be dialated quite a bit the doctor might want to induce you because "you are already 4cms!!!" and almost act like you are in labor and just don't know it! (Not all docs, some!)

You can always refuse!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
October 31st, 2010, 06:32 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, no point in cervical checks until you're in labor! I don't think I was checked at all until I got to the hospital in labor. My midwife had talked about checking me at 39 weeks though, because she was leaving that week, and if I was dilated at all, she could strip my membranes and possibly send me into labor before she left. That didn't happen, but she arrived back home from her trip mere hours before I gave birth, so it all worked out anyway!
I suggest doing some research on cervical checks, why they're done, and why or why not to get them. That way you can form a good strong opinion based on facts, and present that to your OB if he tells you to take your pants off. Seriously, who does want their doctor's fingers in their vagina? I like to avoid it unless I'm in so much pain that I don't care anymore!

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search