A well known doula agency upset me....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM
missmich
My doula said the training was really good. She also said that if she treated her doulas better they'd volunteer for them longer. She's the 3rd doula that has told me something like this about this woman!
November 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yikes!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Wow. Just WOW! Words are failing me here! Thank GOD their true colors were shown before you had to labor & bring your beautiful child into the world with such negative, inhumane plain ole rotten vibes around! Sheesh. I think alone would be better than having such an uncaring, rude, pompous...ok, you get the point! I have a volunteer doula, a midwife student with 5 kids & baby #6 due 8 days before I am, providing services for free and emotional support has been a HUGE part of it. I thought that was WHY people had doulas?! Otherwise, you'd have a midwife if it was "just" all for the birth techniques.

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm

November 5th, 2010, 12:36 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Have you thought of taking all coorespondence and talking to the director of the agency? Not for recompensation, but perhaps a less hostile explanation?

I can't believe her response either... it was downright belittling and rude. I'm sorry you went through that and am so glad you found a better doula.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
November 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM
missmich
She IS the director. The doula that she assigned to me was nice and friendly and never rude like that. This woman is the director and she also trains doulas. I think what I'll do is let the agencies that refer clients their to be ware of how she treats the lower income clients.
November 5th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know what agency and who you are talking about. She really is an excellent doula and highly regarded within the community. That email REALLY surprises me.

I know that a lot of the women they usually deal with in their program are women who truly have very little and often do not even any speak English (or French), the don't have computers and probably wouldn't know what to do with one if they did have one. They are often newcomer refugees who are alone, or women in very dire straights. The doulas usually don't serve much of a touchy feely, warm fuzzy role, just a more primal sort of supportive role, if that makes sense.

Either way though, there is really no excuse for that kind of tone in the email and they agreed to take you on and emotional support is well within the scope of a doula. Keep in mind though that many of those volunteer doulas are still in the process of certifying and have little experience and may not feel comfortable being a psychologist to their clients. Sometimes a client wants more than a doula can give and sometimes that's ok.

But yeah, still pretty shocking.

November 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
missmich
i'm also a client at one of the places that refers women to them. many of the women i met there were refugees that's true.

the website clearly states that the doulas do offer emotional support to their clients so i don't know how what i said was crossing the line or was to much for even a new doula with little experience to handle. all i said was that my dad didn't take my good news well and was upset with me and that i was feeling stressed then i asked if she knew of anything that could relieve the stress. i didn't go into any details at all about it either. later on though i did plan to mention that as a child i had experienced abuse and was afraid the memories mat surface during the birth,so i am soooooo glad i was not still with them other wise i don't know how they would reacted to that.
November 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
I know I'm late to respond, but I feel like it is important to point out that a good PERSON will be there for you with a supportive word and caring advice. Yes, even when not being paid. It's beyond being a bad doula, IMHO. She was being a bad *person* to neglect you when you needed advice and support.

If only someone had bothered to explain that you should NEVER charge for doing the bare minimum society expects... being a decent human being!

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search