The Skeptical OB blog!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2010, 09:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So while looking for blogs I came across this one...

This woman is a looney tune and completely outrages me...

She sounds to be anti-NCB... which is sad figuring a woman OB would be more "in-tune" with a pregnant woman and be more NCB friendly...

here is her 'birth junkie; blog post... The Skeptical OB: Birth junkie

She seems anti-NCB, anti-homebirth, anti-water birth.... and seems like such a close minded ignoramous... grrrr
November 1st, 2010, 12:05 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, she's a total loon.

What is really hilarious though, is for a brief while, her blog was hosted on a circle or site or whatever about science-based medicine, and she was run off pretty darn quickly when the readers figured out her anti-everything posts were anything but science based. It was quite funny.

November 1st, 2010, 08:40 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I've seen her make comments on other blogs and articles. She's a moron.
November 1st, 2010, 11:42 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Wow, her blog on Natural CHildbirth is quackery......nutty.
November 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. That's all I can say.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

November 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
LOL. poor lady. must suck to be thta dumb LOL.
My favorite "Homebirth midwives are just birth junkies who took it a step further. They are birth junkies who couldn’t manage to get into or through a college level midwifery program, so they decided to simply pretend that they were midwives."

I think we have found her frenemy here . . .

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, man. If only I'd worked out my self-esteem issues I could have had an epidural and an OB.

November 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She isn't a OB. She practiced for a few years back in the early 90s I believe. She is very out of touch with what is really going on. She is very anti-Midwife, homebirth and NCB. I can understand being anti-Midwife and Homebirth but I don't get what is so wrong with having an unmedicated birth with little to no interventions, because that is what NCB is. She pretty much thinks she knows everything, but she is very wrong about many things. She also thinks that DEMs have no training what-so-ever. And while that is true for some, there are actually colleges to become a DEM. There is one in Wisconsin that is pretty good and has OBGYNs as staff and you apprentice with an OBGYN (naturally minded though). I think she forgets that the term DEM just means that they became a Midwife without being a nurse first, that's all. But I do agree with her that we do need better standards for Midwifery, and that there should be a more regulation. I don't think just anyone should call themselves a Midwife without any training, and that does happen. However I haven't seen it happen often, only about twice. She generalizes a lot too, and then when she's called out she says she's only talking about the extremists, but she's not.

She's just a non-practicing OB with way too much time on her hands. She must have a pretty boring life.

Also just an heads up, I think she has her name and her blog in her computer to where when it's mentioned she'll get notified so she can start debates with whoever started it. So she may then come on here and try to start stuff. And if she doesnt' come on here to start a debate then she'll probably be watching this board for now on and she'll blog about it and call us Justmommies Crazies like she does with MDC.
November 2nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
She isn't a OB. She practiced for a few years back in the early 90s I believe. She is very out of touch with what is really going on. She is very anti-Midwife, homebirth and NCB. I can understand being anti-Midwife and Homebirth but I don't get what is so wrong with having an unmedicated birth with little to no interventions, because that is what NCB is. She pretty much thinks she knows everything, but she is very wrong about many things. She also thinks that DEMs have no training what-so-ever. And while that is true for some, there are actually colleges to become a DEM. There is one in Wisconsin that is pretty good and has OBGYNs as staff and you apprentice with an OBGYN (naturally minded though). I think she forgets that the term DEM just means that they became a Midwife without being a nurse first, that's all. But I do agree with her that we do need better standards for Midwifery, and that there should be a more regulation. I don't think just anyone should call themselves a Midwife without any training, and that does happen. However I haven't seen it happen often, only about twice. She generalizes a lot too, and then when she's called out she says she's only talking about the extremists, but she's not.

She's just a non-practicing OB with way too much time on her hands. She must have a pretty boring life.

Also just an heads up, I think she has her name and her blog in her computer to where when it's mentioned she'll get notified so she can start debates with whoever started it. So she may then come on here and try to start stuff. And if she doesn't' come on here to start a debate then she'll probably be watching this board for now on and she'll blog about it and call us Justmommies Crazies like she does with MDC.

Ah, good ol' "Dr. Amy." I've seen a few posts on this blog and her other site (which I can't remember the name for) and usually end up either enraged or laughing out loud at how uninformed/closed minded she is. She is soooo anti-natural birth it's ridiculous and she LOVES to pick fights. I've seen her start drama on a few other blogs. All I have to say is that the world is lucky she is no longer a practicing OB. Her attitude towards birth is disturbing...

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
November 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
yeeeeaaaaahhh.... about Dr. Amy, I don't waste my breath, my finger strength, or my google search on her. It tickles me funny that she is the Skeptical OB (i.e. SOB... umm... son of a.... BOMBSHELL, I SWEAR I was going to say bombshell) giggle... lol, ok, soo...

She once pointed her laser eyes on me and my blog... she ran yipping when I was done with her.

Yes, I refuse to even visit her site anymore - she is a joke - baiting and ciclically arguing without ever making a valid point... name calling, etc... and I won't give her the 'hits' to raise her search engine ranking anymore. I simply ignore the cantankerous ol troll and hope she'll go away.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
November 6th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just visited the site once...

I was looking for NCB friendly blogs and her's popped up, I read it, laughed, and was shocked too...
November 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
I have a fetish with my placenta...thats it! LMFAO.

I love this comment left for her.

Quote:
By the way, I thoroughly enjoy your new blog title. SOB is a great term for you. Well, the B is perfect!
She is has some major issues that she needs to work through. I hope that she seeks the emotional support that she so desperately needs.

November 9th, 2010, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't waste my time with her and her followers.

She came onto Ricki Lakes parenting community (My Best Birth) once and tried to start a debate. It lasted for about 3ish weeks. It was pretty fun, and she was on our turf which was nice. I learned something when debating her. I told her the difference in schooling for CNM and DEM (if you decide to go to school for DEM that is, not every state requires it). She tried to tell me all CNMs have Master degrees and DEMs only apprentice (which is funny because even if you're an OBGYN you still do apprenticship as well as schooling, which is the same with most DEMs). I pointed out to her that I've sat down with 3 great colleges that offer the CNM program and ALL told me a Masters was optional. And the Midwifery program after nursing school was only 1 year long. I've sat down with several DEM colleges and the program is 2-4 years long and you can get a B.A after 4 years or continue to get a Masters. She told me I was wrong. After she told me that I knew she knew nothing about what she was talking about. Tell me, someone who has talked to over 10 colleges with both CNM and DEM programs, that I was wrong, was hilarious.

Here is the thing about her and her followers. They are not confident or even content with themselves. They talk about how great their c-sections were and how dangerous giving birth the normal way is. And they are mad at anyone who didn't give birth medicated or with a c-section the way they did. Everyone on MotheringDotCommune are crazy because they give birth and parent with instincts instead of doing what everyone else does. Both DH and I took psychology in college and simple psychology tells us that they name call, bully, and find flaws with everything that is different from them because they are either jealous that they didn't get to do that too, or they are not comfortable/content/happy with themselves as a person. I do not need to belittle women who have c-sections, or have an epidural, or who formula feed because I am happy and content with myself.
November 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I find it funny that she complains and degrades people who are "birth junkies" but she is WAY more obsessed with birth (at the opposite end of the spectrum) than most people I know.

She's against homebirth because of a "3 times greater risk of neonatal death" (which, from my understanding she got because the total number of participants in the studies is wrong). Yet I'm sure she's totally okay with elective cesareans (with a 4x greater risk of maternal death) and elective inductions (2x great chance of a c/s with its inherent risks).

I really really dislike her, but I try to ignore her rantings.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 9th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I find it funny that she complains and degrades people who are "birth junkies" but she is WAY more obsessed with birth (at the opposite end of the spectrum) than most people I know.

She's against homebirth because of a "3 times greater risk of neonatal death" (which, from my understanding she got because the total number of participants in the studies is wrong). Yet I'm sure she's totally okay with elective cesareans (with a 4x greater risk of maternal death) and elective inductions (2x great chance of a c/s with its inherent risks).

I really really dislike her, but I try to ignore her rantings.
To this first bolded, I'm a total birth junkie, I really am. I love everything pregnancy and birth. I love the beautiful pregnant body, I love the feelings that come with it, even if it is morning sickness. I love feeling little kicks on the inside, or the head going back and forth. I love planning for a birth, no matter where it takes place. And I really loved my own birth, the second one not the first one. Complete unmedicated birth at home. I loved the feeling of the contractions, I loved the feeling of my baby coming down my birth canal and I loved standing and squating while my baby came out. Then the oxytocin rush afterwords was awesome. I also love seeing other women give birth. I find nothing gross about it. Am I weird? Eh, probably. But I love who I am and I love helping other women find their birth path no matter which route they take. Heck, having a homebirth myself I still have a class on c-section preperation class that I teach. I teach all avenues. There is nothing wrong with being a "birth junkie" or very passionate about birth. I would hope she felt some passion in it since she was an OBGYN for a few years. Unless all she saw was $ signs.

I believe, but may be wrong, that the 3 times greater risk of death was still under 1%. And the studies are never fair because they don't use the same amount of low risk women for each side. One side always has a bigger/lower number than the other. I don't believe she advocates elective c-sections though. I believe she had a post about it that it was too high. But I do think she sees nothing wrong with elective inductions, and she doesn't see the cascade of interventions at all.

Oh and about the studies, most of them have only went by the birth records, not by anything else. Which means they lump in unplanned homebirths as well as planned homebirths.
November 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM
yeah, I know all that. The canadian study that came out not too long ago was pretty well done and had fairly even numbers on both sides. I believe her issue is that "accurate" statistics are calculated in groups of 10,000 or something like that, so anything less than that isn't accurate and she has some equation to "adjust" for that showing the risk was 3x what ever any study shows. It's really impossible to do a fully accurate study because you can't "assign" someone a birth location.

your response feels a little defensive/argumentative and that confuses me. I hope it wasn't intended that way...

November 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
yeah, I know all that. The canadian study that came out not too long ago was pretty well done and had fairly even numbers on both sides. I believe her issue is that "accurate" statistics are calculated in groups of 10,000 or something like that, so anything less than that isn't accurate and she has some equation to "adjust" for that showing the risk was 3x what ever any study shows. It's really impossible to do a fully accurate study because you can't "assign" someone a birth location.

your response feels a little defensive/argumentative and that confuses me. I hope it wasn't intended that way...
Me? Argumentative towards her, not to you or anyone else on here

The birth junkie rant was just me being annoyed with her. I've heard her and her followers say more than once that Midwives are just birth junkies. But I don't get why that's a big deal I mean, I'd want my MW to be a birth junkie so I know she's passioante about what she does rather than just doing it solely for the money. I'm a birth junkie and proud

Last edited by HappyHippy; November 9th, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
November 9th, 2010, 09:33 AM
okay, just making sure I tend to read things the wrong way sometimes and I'm trying to just ASK people if they meant it a certain way to avoid feeling that way...

November 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I believe, but may be wrong, that the 3 times greater risk of death was still under 1%. And the studies are never fair because they don't use the same amount of low risk women for each side. One side always has a bigger/lower number than the other. I don't believe she advocates elective c-sections though. I believe she had a post about it that it was too high. But I do think she sees nothing wrong with elective inductions, and she doesn't see the cascade of interventions at all.

Oh and about the studies, most of them have only went by the birth records, not by anything else. Which means they lump in unplanned homebirths as well as planned homebirths.
I think these are GREAT points (esp. bolded one). I am an environmental scientist and work with risk statistics all the time. It pains me to no end to see untrained laypeople, ESPECIALLY journalists in the popular media as well as crap "experts" like Dr. Amy, make the elementary error of focusing on relative risk without consideration to absolute risk. Like "twice as many" or "triple the risk" etc. In my experience, at least 95% of these claims are referencing things with TINY (<1-2% or even <0.01%) absolute risks, which means that the samples have small numbers so the statistics are skewed. And even when this is not the case (like in country-size studies), does it really matter that you now have a 2% risk instead of a 1% risk? I mean, really.

I actually have this problem with a lot of the "advice for pregnant women" - especially avoiding foods that can cause food poisoning. It's based on a very similar type of evidence (and error in focusing on relative risk). Yes, I have gotten food poisoning from hamburgers before (I like them medium-rare), so sure, I am only eating well-done burgers now - hamburgers are a super common vector of food-borne illness for obvious reasons. But sushi? Soft cheese (especially in America, where it's all pasteurized anyway)? Give me a break!!! I eat my goat chevre with abandon and sushi occasionally, when I can get good stuff. Try telling a Japanese women that sushi is bad for pregnant women!!

Sorry, end of rant. Agreed that Dr. Amy is way over-vitriolic and not impressive in terms of her qualifications. Any good scientist would never, ever write with the awful mean tone that she uses. She needs a good therapist to work through her anger issues.

November 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good 'ol Dr. Amy.. she trolls periodically on "My OB Said What" and her posts can crack me up sometimes. She picks fights she can't possibly win. Then again, that site is pretty anti-doctor sometimes.

I can't imagine she'd do all that well here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I actually have this problem with a lot of the "advice for pregnant women" - especially avoiding foods that can cause food poisoning. It's based on a very similar type of evidence (and error in focusing on relative risk). Yes, I have gotten food poisoning from hamburgers before (I like them medium-rare), so sure, I am only eating well-done burgers now - hamburgers are a super common vector of food-borne illness for obvious reasons. But sushi? Soft cheese (especially in America, where it's all pasteurized anyway)? Give me a break!!! I eat my goat chevre with abandon and sushi occasionally, when I can get good stuff. Try telling a Japanese women that sushi is bad for pregnant women!!

Sorry, end of rant. Agreed that Dr. Amy is way over-vitriolic and not impressive in terms of her qualifications. Any good scientist would never, ever write with the awful mean tone that she uses. She needs a good therapist to work through her anger issues.
I <3 you. Lol

We go through this at least once a week on the various pregnancy sites I visit. Every time it starts up a "oh my goodness I'm not going to eat that now!!!!!!!!!" Especially the lunch meat and hotdogs.. I admit, not the healthiest choice.. but its not kryptonite! Just be smart about it.. common sense!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search