brewer's friendly recipes?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are some of your favorite brewer diet like recipes? I can't eat seem to come up with anything! our some of your fave ways to get eggs, veggies, etc?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I averaged about 90 grams of protein a day.

I would get my two eggs in at breakfast usually...weather they were scrambled, fried, or in french toast! If I didn't have them in the morning, I'd try to incorporate them in my lunch/dinner- Egg salad sandwiches, hard boiled for a snack, on a salad at dinner, etc...
Add a piece of toast, bagel, etc...or a bowl of oatmeal, for a serving a whole grains. Granola with milk or yogurt was also a good breakfast!

"Green" fruit/yogurt smoothies were one of my favorites! They offered a good serving of greens, a serving or two of dairy & fruit, and a serving of healthy fats, as well as increasing my daily protein count! That's a lot of stuff marked off in just one drink!
I know adding greens to a smoothie may sound disgusting, but really it's not!
I'd start with about a cup of Yogurt or kifer (both good sources of protein), then add 1/2 a banana (fresh or frozen), frozen strawberries, blueberries, maybe even some mango...whatever you like! Then add a large handful of spinach. Yes- spinach (spinach is a very mild green. I promise the fruit covers it up, so you can't taste it once it's all blended!). Thin with some milk or juice if needed, and sweeten with a little honey, apple juice concentrate, a few drops of stevia, or whatever you prefer. I also add about a Tbsp of virgin coconut oil (VERY healthy fat!! It's full of good stuff!). Bend and enjoy! I'd drink these for breakfast, lunch, or a snack in the afternoon

That with a salad and a veg at dinner (even in a casserole), should help you get all you need for greens, fruits and veg.

As to the "whole baked potato" 3 times a week- I'd make it into anything I wanted, and just left the skins one. Mashed, seasoned backed wedges, diced in a casserole/soup, etc..

I never did the liver...I just couldn't do it

Turkey/cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread for lunch again helps increase your protein count, adds a serving of dairy, and 1-2 servings of whole grains.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

November 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are a lot of good suggestions Heather. Spinach in a smoothie sounds like a really good way to get that in. I want french toast now!

November 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
heather you rock!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 2nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
lulu711's Avatar Super Mommy
I throw spinach in everything because it's so mild. Even if I'm eating canned soup or something, I just toss a handful of fresh spinach into it. I'll second the green smoothies, delicious! I typically use greek yogurt since it's pretty high in protein.
November 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Love this thread because im sucking at the brewers diet. I think im just haing sooo many adversions that its hard. The eggs im good with...i make a big chicken salad with lots of veggies mid day...i have alot of protein rich soups that i make. Cheese and crackers is easy..but im still not hitting the mark. Smoothie is an awesome idea thank you!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

November 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
bre, what kind of soups do you make?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Chicken with a lot of veggies, or if i need something quich i buy the chunky beef soups!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

November 3rd, 2010, 09:48 AM
thank you for not saying bean soups

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eggs & Veggies- Omlettes or breakfast burritos. Both pretty straightforward. I like to scramble eggs for my burritos, add chopped peppers, onions, add a slab of cheese and/or meat like turkey or chicken. I also like to add black beans to my burritos sometimes with some homemade salsa (basically pico) to give it a zip. Omlettes of course.. anything goes, I like peppers, onions, chopped ham, tomatoes, maybe even some roasted eggplant.

Hard boiled eggs are always yummy.

Add hard boiled eggs chopped onto a salad. I avoid iceberg salad and go for the ones with spinach, cabbages, raddishes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce, leafy greens etc. I'm one of those people where the more complicated the salad gets with ingredients, the happier I am because its yummy! You can also add chopped chicken to salads. Just watch your sugar/carb content on dressings and of course the portions on dressings. I like simple vinegarettes.

Chicken salad or tuna salad- add hard boiled eggs, carrots, onions, celery.. whatever floats your boat the time.

Soups- I like to toss soups in the crockpot in the morning.. its an anything goes type of thing for me. Cook up some meat like chicken, ground beef, stew meat (but cut up smaller).. toss it in with low sodium broth, various veggies (carrots, sweet potatoes, red potatoes, onions, garlic, zuccini, squash, peppers, green beans, peas, okra..) and I love to add some lentils, barley, various beans. Kidney beans are usually a good option for soups. Their taste won't overpower your other ingredients.. otherwise white beans work well. You can always add taco seasoning for a mexican twist and adjust your additions accordingly.. add cheese for serving.

Turkey burgers! Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers Recipe - Allrecipes.com I have skipped the bread crumbs and eggs and just added ground spices like onion, garlic and a little pepper. Reducing the egg to 1 will also add an egg to the mix and help hold the meat together. Tastes excellent grilled then pile on tomato, romaine lettuce, sliced bell peppers, onions and cucumber. Mmmmm. You could wrap it easily in a tortilla instead of a bun.

Twice baked sweet potatoes or potato skins(or russets work too). Skin stays on, whip a little bit of cream cheese in to the mashed filling, add chives, little cheese, bacon bits (or real bacon). Mmmm. Brush the skin lightly with olive oil.

For potatoes you could also do home fries. Chop 'em up, leave skins on, season to taste with things like garlic, pepper, chili powder etc.. Use an ever so light amount of olive oil in a skillet, put the top over it and cook, stir occassionally until done. I like to leave the top off for a few minutes at the end to get them a bit more crisp. Can toss veggies into this mix for a breakfast bowl.

You can also toss spinach onto a tortilla pizza. Goes so well with it and it is still mild when cooked.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 4th, 2010, 07:55 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Don't forget to include whole grains in your total(daily) protein count! Almost everything you eat contributes to some degree or another!

Brown rice paired with beans/lentils makes a complete protein. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) can be used in place of rice in many recipes, or cook in some broth and eat as a side dish- It's one of the only grains that is a complete protein all on it own! Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu711 View Post
I throw spinach in everything because it's so mild. Even if I'm eating canned soup or something, I just toss a handful of fresh spinach into it. I'll second the green smoothies, delicious! I typically use greek yogurt since it's pretty high in protein.
Yes! Greek yogurt or kifer are some of the best! Good point!

November 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
i bought keifr last night..hopefully i can drink it :/

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search