protein shakes?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the past week I have only been averaging about 30-40g of protein a day, so I was wondering if protein shakes were okay to drink during pregnancy? I hate them, but they are 52g of protein for an 8oz drink?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about greek yogurt? The kind I get has 14gs of protein in a cup. I think I've even seen kinds with more than that. Mix a little wheat germ in and you can get up to 22 easily.

I have no idea about the protein shakes, though, sorry.

ETA: With Levi I made shakes with the greek yogurt, wheat germ, a spoonful of almond or peanut butter, fruit, and milk (or milk substitute). That's 28+ grams. Really easy way to get it. Darn that we don't have a dishwasher now. I hate washing the blender.

Last edited by monica8; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
November 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
I can't stomach the texture of yogurt (or anything really healthy; fruits and veggies especially) at all right now - i love yogurt, but I *hate* greek yogurt (even when not pregnant, im VERY picky about texture). I'll see if Sam will make me a shake..maybe if I don't see it I'll be able to drink it

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Super Mommy
The Brewer's Diet doesn't recommend Protein drinks. I've already looked into it! They say they are an incomplete source of protein & they can make the babies big. Here is the link. Hope this helps.
Frequently Asked Questions

November 3rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
i have read that, but I really just have no appetite...I bet I eat less than 500 calories a day, and I'm worried about that. it wouldnt be a perma thing..just until my appetite comes back

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 3rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i have read that, but I really just have no appetite...I bet I eat less than 500 calories a day, and I'm worried about that. it wouldnt be a perma thing..just until my appetite comes back
I have a HUGE problem with eating still. I really haven't gotten my appetite back. My midwife suggested smoothies with protein or even eating protein bars. I really can't handle the shakes, because of the consistency, but I do really good with the smoothies and they are easy to make.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Pumpkin seeds have protein. My midwife gave me a list of a bunch of different foods, but I gave it to my SIL. Sorry! Maybe I can see if she still has it.

November 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
I'm very stressed about my protein, because I am planning on declining my GD test...so I want to of course be as healthy as possible.

id love if you could get that list, pix

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cottage cheese (low fat) provides about 16 grams of protein. Add some fruit that you can handle on top of that and you might get a good source there. I know some people who like to eat it on tomatoes with pepper sprinkled on, but I haven't tried that.

If you can manage to chop and mix tofu into some of the things you eat that will, in a 1/2 cup give you about 10grams of protein. I've noticed that some tofus I really can't taste at all. You can chop them up and add them to a canned soup, breakfast eggs etc.

Tuna is high protein too, about 16 grams for a 1/4 cup. If you can handle tuna salad on bread or crackers that might be a good option for you.

dark and light turkey meat is very high in protein as well for a 4oz serving. It ranges between 32-33ish grams per 4oz serving. That could be subbed instead of chicken into a salad.

I don't know about the shakes and I've never had to do a high protein diet or anything like it.. Just happen to know a good amount about it from cooking so much for so long . I'm not great with yogurt either, so I see where you're coming from on that. The first 16-17 weeks of this pregnancy I had a really really hard time with eating healthy because of morning sickness and food aversions not to mention the sheer lack of appetite. If you need some recipe ideas, look into "cook yourself thin" online. If you didn't catch it on TV, its a show that promotes cooking healthy to lose weight, but they have some creative twists on recipes that are pretty yummy. It might give you ideas on recipes. I also had to buy a lot of my foods premade at the beginning of this pregnancy.. if I cooked it and had time to smell the changes while it cooked, no way I'd eat it.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Personally I'd avoid them. They are usually made with soy protein, and I try to avoid soy as much as possible!(especially when preggo)

Here are some healthy protein bar recipes. Maybe if they were made up ahead of time, you could snack on them here and there.-
Nourishing Protein Bars – A Great Whole Foods Snack | Passionate Homemaking
Lemon Curd Bars (These are AMAZING! If you do not have coconut oil on hand, you can use butter. I left out the zest because I didn't have any whole lemons on hand, so just used lemon juice)

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; November 4th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
November 4th, 2010, 09:22 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
I can't stomach the texture of yogurt (or anything really healthy; fruits and veggies especially) at all right now - i love yogurt, but I *hate* greek yogurt (even when not pregnant, im VERY picky about texture). I'll see if Sam will make me a shake..maybe if I don't see it I'll be able to drink it
Ok, I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but- Have you ever tried kifer? It's super high in protine, and a wonderful pro-biotic! It more of a drink, and not thick and "goopy" like yogurt. It is a bit tart (like yogurt), but maybe you could handle the texture better? Anyway, even if you added it to something... You can buy it plain or fruit flavored in the health food section of most grocery stores.

November 5th, 2010, 01:22 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
You can find milk-based protein powders, so that might be okay. Peas have a surprising amount of protein. Here is an okay list: How to Boost Protein Intake During Pregnancy at the StorkNet Experts Corner I know my MW had copied the list out of a childbirth book. I just can't remember which one! Grr!

November 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I bought some keifr at whole foods the other day, but I haven't had the courage to try it yet. I just told Sam to go get me a glass though

I do LOVE peas

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
November 7th, 2010, 01:35 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I just made a home made Protein smoothy thanks to you girls! It was great! M

Mixed frozen fruit
Blueberry kiefer
spinich
Almond milk!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

November 7th, 2010, 07:45 PM
yeah we're going to have to try almond milk...i couldn't do kefir...but Brylie LOVES it haha..she's obsessed..she starts panting now when she sees it in the fridge...but ick for me!

sigh, this is ridiculous.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search