no garlic while bf?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm REALLY trying to wean Brylie, but it's a challenging process.

We went to whole foods tonight and I bought probiotics and garlic supplements (for GBS)..but it says on the garlic "do not take while nursing"....I googled it, but not much really comes up..anyone know why I can't take it?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard it warned against for causing gassy babies, or the flavor putting them off. My midwives and lactation consultant said there was no need to avoid any food really, unless my baby seemed unusually fussy after something. I've eaten dishes with garlic in them and she's never seemed to react negatively.

Then again, you will get a lot more garlic from a capsule then from just eating a dish.

November 4th, 2010, 12:40 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still nursing Ben (13 mo now) and I take a garlic supplement and have never had any issues. I think they put do not take while pregnant/nursing just as a precaution cause you'll notice tons of stuff say that. I think you'll be just fine. Garlic would only be beneficial I would think.

Good luck with the weaning! My little guy seems to be nursing MORE now than ever so I don't see weaning in my future anytime soon.
November 4th, 2010, 05:18 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took garlic supplements off and on while nursing DD, and it never seemed to affect her. I can only think that maybe it has to do with changing the flavor of the milk.. I don't know.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

November 4th, 2010, 05:58 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I heard garlic was good for getting baby to latch because of the smell. But Liev does not like garlic, well really smelly garlic.
November 4th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I always was told there was actually a nutritional benefit to garlic while bfing, but it can effect taste/smell (some babies like while others may not)

November 4th, 2010, 08:46 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
It's safe!

I would think you'd only have to worry about it affecting the taste, and turning the baby away if you rarely ever ate garlic. We eat quite a bit, so my babies are used to it

November 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I would guess it's a taste thing too. All of mine have been subject to tons of garlic, especially dd when she was 15mo. I had an absessed tooth and took probably 12,000mg a day for two weeks. I know everything I ate tasted like garlic, so I'm sure the milk did too. But she kept on.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If garlic and breast feeding were a problem - what would italy do? LMAO - I'm KIDDING! but really - I eat a tonne of garlic and we're fine here. I think they just put that on everything.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 4th, 2010, 01:58 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
cool I'm going to start taking it for GBS...is it too early?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search