Log In Sign Up

Other "natural" lifestyle choices?


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
November 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by prantastic4 View Post
About a year ago, we decided to do things more naturally. After reading and researching ingredients in products and foods that we use everyday, I felt really overwhelmed. I had no idea what awful things they put in products.
So, we started with changing our hygiene products and cleaners. When I grocery shop, I go for the organic products over anything. But sometimes, it's also not in the budget. I was really glad to find our local wholesale store carries a lot of bulk organic foods.
I'm still working on it. I would love to grow my own veggies and fruits like you ladies! That's great. I definitely get more ideas from talking to other JM mommies, and learning how they maintain a more natural lifestyle.
AND this will be my first natural childbirth. I'm nervous, but at the same time, I'm getting excited. I feel like this is the best for me and my baby, and that I'm finding the strength to give her the best.
With gardening.. a really easy way to start is a window herb garden! Then if you want to you can move up to putting tomato plants in large planters on your porch/deck in the spring/summer. Peppers and some strawberries also do well in pots. Plus you can always reuse the pots. I went from doing potted gardens in apartments to doing the full blown square foot gardening when we started renting a house last year and took over MIL's garden. Now my garden is built and ready to go next year! Its really rewarding and kids love it . My son had his own little corner plot and loved to pick stuff off of the plants and eat it. I wasn't too worried about it because there's no chemicals. We'd just carry out a little bowl of water and a wash cloth to wash things. Nothing tastes better than home grown!
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #22  
November 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 8,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
With gardening.. a really easy way to start is a window herb garden! Then if you want to you can move up to putting tomato plants in large planters on your porch/deck in the spring/summer. Peppers and some strawberries also do well in pots. Plus you can always reuse the pots. I went from doing potted gardens in apartments to doing the full blown square foot gardening when we started renting a house last year and took over MIL's garden. Now my garden is built and ready to go next year! Its really rewarding and kids love it . My son had his own little corner plot and loved to pick stuff off of the plants and eat it. I wasn't too worried about it because there's no chemicals. We'd just carry out a little bowl of water and a wash cloth to wash things. Nothing tastes better than home grown!
I have an herb garden that I keep outside by my deck all spring and summer. In the fall, when it starts getting cold, I transplant most of them in to pots so I have them inside all winter It's so nice to have herbs all year long!
__________________
Thank-you Bokkechick for the beautiful siggy!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)


Reply With Quote
  #23  
November 10th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
I know and fresh herbs taste so much better! I usually split them and put some in my garden in the summer, but leave them in pots in a window area year round. Our weather just isn't friendly for them after like.. august lol. It kind of bites.. our growing season is so short. I'm northern Wisconsin.. so I'm sure your growing season isn't all that different.
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #24  
November 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,791
I am not really natural about anything but babies. Natural birth (didn't work out), breastfeeding (kind of halfway worked out after an epic struggle), co sleeping, we *tried* to do only homemade organic babyfood, but that didn't work out that well because she went straight to eating off our plates, cloth diapering was a giant fail because of our hard water.

I do cook 80%+ of our food from scratch/whole food ingredients, but to go organic/all natural we'd have to double or triple our food budget and that's not an option.

I love FAM, but that's at least half because I'm an info-*****, and half because it's more natural.

I love my toxic cleaners.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #25  
November 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,862
I don't really eat organic but I try to go for unprocessed foods as much as possible. I breastfeed and am very AP, but can't say I'm very natural in other areas of life. I use disposable diapers (shame on me!) and I'll take medicine if and only if I think it's worth it.
__________________
Mariah, AP Mommy to Juliana

Reply With Quote
  #26  
November 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 0
I'm quite 'crunchy' lol. we cloth diaper, clean with vinegar, DH make beer and wine, try to eat organic and not a lot of meat. In terms of medicine - I like to have a balance. Personally I believe vaccinating is important. (probably helps I live somewhere where things like whooping cough are a problem). I also go to the doc if I have something that needs antibiotics - but I LOVE my acupuncture too. - Like my DDs birth. She was born all natural at home - but then she turned blue and we went to the hospital. I did the natural thing - and then went to the doctor when it was necessary - and I'm super grateful for both. KWIM?
__________________

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote
  #27  
November 11th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,029
Our ideals are very very crunchy, however we cannot do everything we believe we should/want to do.


We don't vax, I want to cloth diaper but we haven't. I pray for baby #3 we will. Homemade baby food & breastfeeding, our own garden, grow own herbs, homemade cleaning products, dishwasher/washer products...Our family dynamic is very AP/NP (natural parenting, a bit more hard core than AP), homebirthing..
Raw diet is something we're going towards.
Natural Health (oils, herbs, homepathy, DIET!!!)
Our religion is Paganism, we're very down to Earth and crunchy ppl.
We are considering going off the grid in a few years as well.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC










Last edited by Earthy.Mama; November 11th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
November 11th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jule'sMomInOR View Post
I don't really eat organic but I try to go for unprocessed foods as much as possible. I breastfeed and am very AP, but can't say I'm very natural in other areas of life. I use disposable diapers (shame on me!) and I'll take medicine if and only if I think it's worth it.
Lol we use sposies when we leave the house. Different things work for different people. We live about 20 minutes out of town and its just not practical for me to carry cloth diapers out. I tried, it was a disaster and the carseat had to be washed! I just couldn't do the homemade baby food.. but we didn't stick with baby food very long anyway because we decided to do baby led weaning instead. Maybe look into baby led weaning and see if it would work for you? Its actually kind of funny and cool to see them experience solid foods that way and it doesn't require the amount of work that pureeing mass amounts of veggies, fruits or meats does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
DH make beer and wine
Ooo FIL does this as well. We are thinking about going half and half with him on his next batch. I must say that I love my wine when I'm not pregnant and homemade, once you get the hang of it, is by far the best. Store bought gives me headaches because of the preservatives and aging chemicals they use.
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #29  
November 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,029
Oh, yea we do make mead and want to make wine too.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #30  
November 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
I'm only slightly crunchy, I'm working on it though. We are going to cloth diaper, got my first batch today woohoo! I started using natural cleaners when I got pregnant because I worried about the fumes hurting Baby. I see a doctor regularly because I have chronic health problems but I avoid the doctor for a lot of other things. I don't like antibiotics and I strongly avoid them, I use yoga and acupressure to help with chronic pain. We line dry everything, although that happened by accident. Our drier broke and we couldn't afford another one right away, and then I got hooked on line drying. We have a small garden, and until we got pregnant we had chickens for the eggs. I'm usually a vegetarian but haven't been able to maintain during the pregnancy. Otherwise our diets stink, we are all about convenience foods and fast food. We are working on that though, and hoping to make a complete change before Baby starts eating regular food.

I am likely only going to breastfeed for a couple of weeks to a month. It's not for lack of wanting to, but it is more important that I am medicated. I have an appointment with the LC at my birth center next week to go over medication options and see if there is some way I can breastfeed longer. I'm hoping maybe the hormone shift will keep things in check somehow and I can stay off medication longer. In an ideal world I could go 6 months without meds and use that time to pump and save, as well as nursing, so she'd be able to get a bit of extra milk even after I have to stop.

Hmm other than the breastfeeding, I'm not doing too bad crunch wise. I guess I'm heading in the right direction.
__________________

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #31  
November 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2011 View Post
I'm only slightly crunchy, I'm working on it though. We are going to cloth diaper, got my first batch today woohoo! I started using natural cleaners when I got pregnant because I worried about the fumes hurting Baby. I see a doctor regularly because I have chronic health problems but I avoid the doctor for a lot of other things. I don't like antibiotics and I strongly avoid them, I use yoga and acupressure to help with chronic pain. We line dry everything, although that happened by accident. Our drier broke and we couldn't afford another one right away, and then I got hooked on line drying. We have a small garden, and until we got pregnant we had chickens for the eggs. I'm usually a vegetarian but haven't been able to maintain during the pregnancy. Otherwise our diets stink, we are all about convenience foods and fast food. We are working on that though, and hoping to make a complete change before Baby starts eating regular food.

I am likely only going to breastfeed for a couple of weeks to a month. It's not for lack of wanting to, but it is more important that I am medicated. I have an appointment with the LC at my birth center next week to go over medication options and see if there is some way I can breastfeed longer. I'm hoping maybe the hormone shift will keep things in check somehow and I can stay off medication longer. In an ideal world I could go 6 months without meds and use that time to pump and save, as well as nursing, so she'd be able to get a bit of extra milk even after I have to stop.

Hmm other than the breastfeeding, I'm not doing too bad crunch wise. I guess I'm heading in the right direction.
If you haven't yet, I'd suggest going to the breastfeeding board, explaining the meds you have to take and they would likely give you suggestions of what to do and talk with your Dr. about as alternatives to continue to provide milk to baby
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #32  
November 14th, 2010, 08:20 AM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,181
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiana View Post
If you haven't yet, I'd suggest going to the breastfeeding board, explaining the meds you have to take and they would likely give you suggestions of what to do and talk with your Dr. about as alternatives to continue to provide milk to baby
I actually haven't done that yet. The only thing I've really done besides googling is speak with the childbirth educator at my birthing center and set up the appointment at the breastfeeding center. I hope that I'm able to find something that works because I always thought I would do EBF with child led weaning, and well I have great boobs for breastfeeding. LOL
__________________

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #33  
November 14th, 2010, 04:33 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25,988
Compared to some of you ladies, I am far from crunchy but DH seems to think I'm some radical hippy! I BF, cloth diaper, co-sleep (by accident because she won't sleep without me), and baby wear. I don't like taking medicine unless it's absolutely necessary, but that's more because I'm too lazy to go to the doctor. That's pretty much it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #34  
November 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,232
We cloth diaper, co-sleep, breastfed, make our food from scratch (but not organic), use natural cleaners and try to avoid medication unless really needed. We do vax and I like diet soda
__________________
Alison - Mom to: Emmeline (7/14), Augustus (2) Maximus (4) Eleanor (5) Reid (6) Evelyn (8) Lucas (13) Christopher (14)

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0