Other "natural" lifestyle choices?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
So I got to thinking....

Those of you who have had or want(ed) to have a natural birth, do you approach other aspects of your life in the same manner?

Do you prefer a more natural approach to other medical treatment? Is your diet more focused on foods containing less artifical substances? Do you clean your homes with nature-friendly products?

November 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes. I do not do well with medication, of any kind, so I find alternatives. When I have aches and pains I use water as a therapy, or massage.

We eat organic foods. I have a very sensative stomach and I can't handle artifical stuff. Plus, where I live natural/organic foods that are made local are the norm. They take pride in their food. But even when I lived in USA I still ate organic foods. The little bit of extra money didn't bother me, and I'd gladly pay more for real food than less for food made by chemicals.

I use vingegar to clean. It's cheap and works great for almost anything. It lasts a lot longer than a bottle of toxic spray too. The only time I use chemicals is when I encapsulate a placenta. I have to clean up using a bleach solution. If I don't I can get into a lot of trouble.
November 9th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
to some extent. I don't do everything that way, but I definitely lean in that direction (cloth diapers, try to stick to natural foods and cleaners, etc...)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 9th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
to some extent. I don't do everything that way, but I definitely lean in that direction (cloth diapers, try to stick to natural foods and cleaners, etc...)
This is pretty much how I am. I take a little bit from every area.

I try to stick to the most natural cleaners that I can (vinegar, baking soda)....but sometimes I need a little Windex for my windows, or oven cleaner for my oven.

I try to eat as much organic food as possible (we aquire a lot of game meat ourselves), but sometimes I take advantages of great sales on non-organic stuff!)

I prefer to see the homeopath or look for natural remedies for illnesses for most of my problems, but will see my GP if I must.

I also plan to cloth diaper but am open to using a minimal amount of disposables for traveling or for D (he's not on board with cding yet).

So basically, it's the story of my life. I can always seem to see the benefits from all possible choices/decisions/views. This can be very frustrating as I can never say if I am 100% for one thing ot the other. lol

November 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We grow almost all of our own meat (except Pork, which we RARELY eat..but beef and chicken) and if we eat something else (DH loves Bison, and we get turkey tenderloins every once in awhile) we get them at whole foods. But we pretty much eat only chicken, and then beef every once in awhile.

We also grow almost all our own veggies in the summer..and we are going to plant apple trees this weekend I want to plant a couple cherry trees too. We shop from the farmer's market in the summer (its only open June-early Oct) and use organic flour, etc.

We generally clean with Borax, Baking Soda, and Vinegar...but we do have windex for electronics and windows, and pledge for wood.

we cloth diaper, but all energy efficient appliances, minimum light usage (but the living room TV is on almost all the time, I need the background noise)...use the clothes line when we can vs the dryer, etc.

I'm a bigger hippy than DH He doesn't care about anything except cloth diapers

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I don't do too many other things naturally. I am planning on using NFP after baby is born because BC gave me such horrible mirgraines. It was awful. I have no desire to take any kind of hormonal BC ever again and DH hates condoms so I will go back to charting like I did while TTC.
November 9th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
We do a lot of natural minded stuff. Baby is ebf for a loooong time. Baby is cd'd and I prefer natural fibers like cotton and wool. We don't vax. I prefer less chemical-y cleaners, but dh hates the smell of vinegar and tto, so we use a "natural" cleaner from the store. We avoid buying stuff with hydrogenated oils, artificial food coloring, in our regular food. We're ok with it in treats once in a while. There's more I'm sure... We've found a happy medium for our life.

And we try and use homeopathy first before meds. Dh does love his nyquil when he's sick though. But for the kids and I we use stuff like Umcka. Same with toothpaste, dh likes his regular stuff, but the kids and I use stuff like Kiss My Face or Spry with no flouride.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We try.

I do have a cook top wood stove in addition to my regular one. I just loved the idea of having one and DH humored me. It does keep the kitchen toasty when you're done using it and it never matters if we have electricity or gas. We also use a wood stove for our primary source of heat in the winter. While that may not sound "natural" we have newer appliances in that area so its not giving off all kinds of gunk into the air.

I do a LOT of gardening, canning and freezing. My garden is almost half the size of our polebarn garage. We get the majority of our veggies that way. I'm expanding to do more fruits next year. We also pick a lot of our fruits wild here. We get blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and apples free from nature. I do this mostly for cost reasons, but I do really like that I know what went into growing them and that there aren't any preservatives or chemicals on them. We pick off of our land, so we know no spray is going onto it. And yes, we're sure of what we're picking.

I prefer cleaning with vinegar and baking soda. Mostly a cost thing.. but I've also never had vinegar a) ruin my clothes.. b ) may taste gross but can't hurt my kid and it also works just as well as any other cleaner. I do use borax as well, and sometimes I do use bleach.

I do cloth diaper.. again, mostly cost.. but I do like that it helps the environment. I also like that its easier on my kiddo's skin.

I'm also not much for meds. If I'm sick, sure I'll go to the doc and see what I need to do. If its just an ache or pain though I'm more likely to use water or heat or ice.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 9th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Super Mommy
About a year ago, we decided to do things more naturally. After reading and researching ingredients in products and foods that we use everyday, I felt really overwhelmed. I had no idea what awful things they put in products.
So, we started with changing our hygiene products and cleaners. When I grocery shop, I go for the organic products over anything. But sometimes, it's also not in the budget. I was really glad to find our local wholesale store carries a lot of bulk organic foods.
I'm still working on it. I would love to grow my own veggies and fruits like you ladies! That's great. I definitely get more ideas from talking to other JM mommies, and learning how they maintain a more natural lifestyle.
AND this will be my first natural childbirth. I'm nervous, but at the same time, I'm getting excited. I feel like this is the best for me and my baby, and that I'm finding the strength to give her the best.

November 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
I consider myself to be very crunchy. I always choose the most natural method, for both my family and myself.

November 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I lean towards more natural methods in most things. I don't take medications usually, instead I rely on massage, water therapy, and homeopathic treatments. I breastfeed and cloth diaper. We use mainly vinegar and water to clean. We eat mainly local and/or organic food and I don't buy items with hydrogenated oils, transfats, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

November 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Yes, I am super crunchy. I am an acupuncturist, so doing things natural is what comes naturally

November 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
For me, it was backwards. My first son was a medicated birth, but after he was here I gravitated to natural parenting. Didn't think I would breastfeed but tried it out and went til he self weaned at 26 months. Decided not to vaccinate him, cloth diapered him, etc etc etc. And so when I got pregnant again, it was not a question that I would deliver him naturally. Being a mom has made me crunchy and "natural." But I wouldn't say I was very much like that before having kids.
November 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say I'm semi-crunchy. I use natural alternatives when we can (sometimes they are just not cost effective for us right now - like buying everything organic). I do use vinegar to clean, avoid lots of medical interventions in general for our family, am starting to cloth diaper.

I am striving to be a more crunchy mama in the future!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; November 9th, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
November 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Haha, I like the way you worded that Meredith

I'm the same way, I am very natural minded. I was not from the beginning, but as my first daughter got older, I very quickly feel into it. I always felt drawn to breastfeeding, that is was "natural" even if it didn't come naturally to us. After that, I got into cloth diapers and slowly, my whole way of thinking changed. We use mostly natural products to clean with (baking soda and vinegar) and use natural remedies instead of medicine more times than not. I've become more careful about what I feed my family and even the things we have in our home that could contain chemicals that would affect us.

November 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ditto kristen - i didn't have many crunchy instincts until Brylie...I always wanted a natural birth, because I figured if my mom could do it I could do it. I didn't plan on BF'ing because my my MIL and her mom .... seriosuly, they still batter me about it..but we tried it, and just now weaned at 15m....Bry was in sposie dipes til she was 4m old..but then i read that there are carcinogens in sposies and switched. my mom died from cancer so i am a freak about trying to avoid carcinogens...and only in the past 2 months or so have i really become aware of buying things that dont have HFCS in them (who knew to check bread?!! 100% wheat bread with HFCS as the 2nd ingredient?! what?!)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 10th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I try to buy more organic food. I grew up in a very rural area of PA & my mom canned a ton of fruit & veggies every summer. I honestly don't remember having veggies in an aluminum can in my pantry until I moved out. I live in a DC subburb, so it's harder to get locally grown food. Over the summer there are farmers' markets & DH just bought me a pressure canner. I'm going to start with some of the easier stuff like tomatoes & green beans.
DH is not on-board with a more natural lifestyle outside of food, so he makes it a little tough. He definitely doesn't check labels when he goes to the grocery store... ever. I wanted to CD Avery while I was off work, but he really pitched a fit about it (daycare won't CD because they consider saving the dirty diapers unsanitary). I don't really consider myself "crunchy", but am trying to cut down on the amount of chemicals my kids come in contact with.
November 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaeph View Post
We do a lot of natural minded stuff. Baby is ebf for a loooong time. Baby is cd'd and I prefer natural fibers like cotton and wool. We don't vax. I prefer less chemical-y cleaners, but dh hates the smell of vinegar and tto, so we use a "natural" cleaner from the store. We avoid buying stuff with hydrogenated oils, artificial food coloring, in our regular food. We're ok with it in treats once in a while. There's more I'm sure... We've found a happy medium for our life.

And we try and use homeopathy first before meds. Dh does love his nyquil when he's sick though. But for the kids and I we use stuff like Umcka. Same with toothpaste, dh likes his regular stuff, but the kids and I use stuff like Kiss My Face or Spry with no flouride.
This is us too. Me and the kids are more "natural" than DH. There are some things that I would like to do but DH absolutely refuses (for example, cloth diapering) so I have to pick my battles.
November 10th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty crunchy I think. I use a lot of elbow grease in my cleaning and definitely avoid using anything stinky or fragranced around the house. I don't wear makeup and I don't shower until I need it, we use Dr. Bronner's castile soap for bathing. I do use over-the-counter products, just the most gentle ones I can find. I buy a lot of 7th Generation products, like dish soap and TP. I avoid junk food, love veggies and whole grains and beans, and eat organic as much as possible, especially animal products. There aren't good farmer's markets around here and we live in the woods where there's too much shade to grow vegetables, which makes me sad, although I love living in the trees.

It remains to be seen what will happen with a baby... I plan to CD with flats and prefolds, breastfeed for at least a year and hopefully up to age 2, etc.

I guess the main ways we aren't so "natural" is that we love science and technology. We have lots of computers and love Star Trek. We are nerds. DH and I are both scientists and so our views on vaccination, etc are in line with what the scientific consensus is. But sometimes the scientific mindset leads to more "natural" type choices - like in childbirth - I think the evidence is actually quite overwhelming that a more midwife, homebirth focused system, like what they have in most Northern European countries, is far superior to our profit-driven, intervention-happy system.

So I guess I'm pretty natural for the most part!!

November 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search