Thursday QOTD

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was your mom a SAHM? Does that effect what you choose or want to do with your children?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom had an in home daycare when I was a child. Once I turned 7 she went back to work. I don't know that I would say the fact that she was home is the reason that I chose to be a SAHM when Kennedy arrives. Even though my mom was sort of a SAHM, I plan on doing things a lot differently. Another thing that contributed to our decision for me to stay home is the fact that I don't feel comfortable with our child care options in this area. I always joke around with DH that I went to Graduate school to be a SAHM, and he'll be paying off my $100k in school loans until we are 90.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 11th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
my mom was mostly a SAHM. She had part time jobs once in a while - usually while we were in school and not till i was older - middle/high school. I really liked having her around all the time and I do think it played into my desire to be a SAHM myself.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
My mom was mostly a SAHM. Sometimes she worked a part time job but was always there in the morning and after school. If she worked over the summer I spent that time at my grandma's house. It was nice to have her there and if I had a choice I would be a SAHM but we can't afford it financially right now. I don't know if my mom being home is what makes me want to stay home though. I think it is more just wanting to be there while s/he grows up and not missing any f the milestones.
November 11th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom was not a SAHM. She was a physician and had her own practice from when I was born until I was about 10. Then she sold her practice and ran Urgent Cares until she retired.

I chose to be a SAHM because my mom was never ever around for me and I wanted to be the opposite of that. My parents divorced when I was a little over 1 and my dad had physical custody of us for the most part because my mom was too busy with work. When my dad died (I was 9) we went to our mom's and she had no idea what to do with us. Going from only seeing her every other weekend to living there full-time was crazy. I just know I want to be there more for my children.

November 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Kathode's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Mom was an awesome SAHM. She was totally involved with us, volunteered at the school, ran the Girl Guides (Canadian Girl Scouts), was involved with the church, always had cool crafts and things to do with us. I missed her a lot when she went back to work when my little brother was in grade 5. I really really want to be a SAHM so I can give my kids the same thing, but DH doesn't agree, it's a really big issue right now cause I have to go back to work soon. Or not. We'll see.

November 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My mom was a SAHM, she worked a few jobs here and there but she stayed home mostly.

November 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
noworries
My mom was not a SAHM but was still very involved with us. She worked a job that coincided with our school schedules so she could still be home with us as much as possible.
I don't think it had anything to do with me being a SAHM mom, it's just what I wanted. But neither of my sisters have any desire to be SAHM's so I think it's more of a personality thing.
November 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Both of my parents worked full time. I was and remain very close with both of them. I really enjoyed after school activities and summer camp growing up--and never felt neglected or ignored by my parents. It certainly makes me feel less guilty about going back to work--it also makes me want to make sure my children have a wide range of organized activities available to them.

November 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
My stepmom is disabled, and so she was kind of forced to be a SAHM. She doesn't have a visible disability, so a lot of people in our extended family didn't understand why we had to have a housekeeper to do a lot of the heavy things when I was little. She just physically CAN'T work, she gets pain so severe that she can barely move if she does too much. But she was an awesome mom, and it was great having her home.

I'm still torn about being a SAHM. I've been unemployed for a long time, and have mainly done childcare for the last few years. I've got a spotty resume, and have no idea how much luck I'd have getting a job even if I wanted one. I'm also not going to work for AT LEAST 6 months, since I want to exclusively breastfeed my daughter. And I'm pretty sure I want to homeschool. Since my DH is in the Navy, I really don't want the chaos of moving constantly to screw up the consistency of her education. I saw what moving during custody battles did to my cousins' grades, and I'm not putting my kid through that.

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
November 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My mother stayed home for the first several months until my father got laid off, then she went to work for a while and it kind of went back and forth. By the time I can remember...probably 5 or 6, I'm pretty sure she was working f/t and he was too. We bounced from daycare to daycare, and my parents worked opposite shifts for a few years. When I was 11 and my brother was 9 we started staying home alone a LOT...and I was constantly in trouble for my brother not taking care of himself. I didn't enjoy being a latchkey kid, but it was better than having my mother home (abusive). Her being around or not didn't affect my decision to stay home. I worked in a daycare when I was 17/18 and was thoroughly appalled and decided right then that my kids would never go to a daycare. Thankfully dh was on board when I got pg with #1 unexpectedly at 20.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I'm a day late, but it happens. My mom was a SAHM until I was in the 2nd grade & then she went back to work part time. She went full-time when I was in high-school. My dad drove truck long distance, so it was just me & Mom. I think she decided to stay home because Dad was gone all the time. I have lots of memories of doing fun stuff with her & hope my kids have the same. That said, it's not financially realistic for me to stay home. I'm the primary income in our family. Right now I'm working from home (probably until after the New Year), but I will have to go back. I'm just hoping to shorten my commute so that I can spend every possible minute with my kiddos. Mike is off several days during the week, so my kids are going to get to spend A LOT more time with their Dad than I ever did. I'm really happy he's going to be more involved in their lives.
November 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom was a SAHM until I was 5-6ish then she went back to school. I honestly don't have many fond memories of that time. I think all it did was make me skeptical about having kids, but now that I have DS that's gone . I never pictured myself being a SAHM and homemaker, but I do like it. I may go back to work at such point as all of our kiddos are in school. It really depends since we would also like to foster or adopt.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 19th, 2010, 02:32 PM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
My mom was definitely not a SAHM and it has affected my decision to be one greatly. She's very career-oriented and while I'm glad that works for her, it's not what I want for my family.

November 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My mom was and still is a SAHM. I loved my childhood. It seemed normal to me to have her all the time. She genuinely enjoyed her children.

Because of this, i wanted to be a SAHM... but we just can't afford it.
Luckily I only have to work part time.

November 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine was. She had a few random jobs, but they were all things she could bring me too.

It definitely affects my decisions. I absolutely loved being with my mom. It made me feel so special to be with her. I always knew I was fortunate to have her be with me.

I actually remember when my mom went to sign me up for preschool. We were standing at a counter that was way over my head. My mom looked down at me and asked "Do you want to go to school this year, or stay home with me again?" I said "Stay home!" very excitedly. I guess she had a change of heart at the last second about letting me go. It was a very special day, which is why I think I remember it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search