Log In Sign Up

Induction Talk has started our board


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
November 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 724
My doctor actually made a comment about "if" they "let" me get to 40 weeks.

EXCUSE ME!?

Sephie will come out when she's good and ready! She knows better than I do, and FAR better than YOU do, Doc, about when she's ready to meet the world.

This is my daughter you're talking about, not some ****** cookie. I know we all make comments relating to baking, but it's not like you can put a baby back in after you take her out and realize she's got iatrogenic health issues! "Oh, this baby is undercooked, we'll just pop her back in for another two weeks."

They'll "let" me get to 40 weeks!? Baby isn't even overdue until 42 weeks! I'm perfectly healthy, there is NO REASON to be threatening a woman with induction at her 25 week appointment.
__________________
Nikko

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
Reply With Quote
  #22  
November 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 922
"Don't worry, I'll be heavily medicated!" /sigh
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #23  
November 12th, 2010, 02:29 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Hahahaha hi ladies from my DDC!!! I just came over here to post the same thing I debated posting anything at all on that thread as the last one got kinda heated, but I did try to post something neutral that wouldn't start a debate or hurt feelings but boy was it hard! I just simply do NOT get it . I have had an induction with my 2nd son, it lasted 23 hours, I did end up getting the epidural after about 16 hours of it, and it was just horrendous, and his birth was a freakin horror show, he was born blue blue blue and had to be whisked away given oxygen and then had to go to NICU, my BP dropped so low I passed out and I hemmorahged. Maybe no not all due to the Pitocin and Epi, but I have never had that problem since with my natural child births.

This is going to come up more and more the closer we get to our due dates I get it for medical reasons, but for all the other reasons people give? Nope, don't get it. I am in a huge pickle on who is going to watch my kids when I go into labor, and scheduling an induction would make things easier, but seriously I'd bring them all to the hospital with me before I let an OUNCE of Pitocin touch my body.

Plus, I find the end of pregnancy and never knowing exactly when you are going to go into labor VERY exciting!!!
__________________
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"

Last edited by HeatherLyn429; November 12th, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
November 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather30 View Post
Hahahaha hi ladies from my DDC!!! I just came over here to post the same thing I debated posting anything at all on that thread as the last one got kinda heated, but I did try to post something neutral that wouldn't start a debate or hurt feelings but boy was it hard! I just simply do NOT get it . I have had an induction with my 2nd son, it lasted 23 hours, I did end up getting the epidural after about 16 hours of it, and it was just horrendous, and his birth was a freakin horror show, he was born blue blue blue and had to be whisked away given oxygen and then had to go to NICU, my BP dropped so low I passed out and I hemmorahged. Maybe no not all due to the Pitocin and Epi, but I have never had that problem since with my natural child births.

This is going to come up more and more the closer we get to our due dates I get it for medical reasons, but for all the other reasons people give? Nope, don't get it. I am in a huge pickle on who is going to watch my kids when I go into labor, and scheduling an induction would make things easier, but seriously I'd bring them all to the hospital with me before I let an OUNCE of Pitocin touch my body.

Plus, I find the end of pregnancy and never knowing exactly when you are going to go into labor VERY exciting!!!
I love the surprise, too! I love when my water breaks, and I know "Yay, it's baby time!"
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #25  
November 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boise!
Posts: 16,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWifey View Post
My doctor actually made a comment about "if" they "let" me get to 40 weeks.

EXCUSE ME!?

Sephie will come out when she's good and ready! She knows better than I do, and FAR better than YOU do, Doc, about when she's ready to meet the world.

This is my daughter you're talking about, not some ****** cookie. I know we all make comments relating to baking, but it's not like you can put a baby back in after you take her out and realize she's got iatrogenic health issues! "Oh, this baby is undercooked, we'll just pop her back in for another two weeks."

They'll "let" me get to 40 weeks!? Baby isn't even overdue until 42 weeks! I'm perfectly healthy, there is NO REASON to be threatening a woman with induction at her 25 week appointment.
Nice. Yeah.

Iatrogenic is one of my favorite "new" words. I saw it a month or so ago for the first time ever and had to look it up. Dh and I just love it now.

"ADJ. pertaining to a condition caused by medical diagnostic procedures, or exposure to medical treatment, facilities, and personnel."

Yep. I just love all the doctor worshipping. Like because we don't have an MD after our names, we must know absolutely NOTHING and how dare we question common medical practice. I'm not saying give birth behind a bush like I would or to shun your doctor or flat out ignore them, but I AM saying research what they tell you because they don't always have your best interest in mind.
__________________
"Unborn children should be welcomed in life and protected in law." George W. Bush






Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
November 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGirl View Post
Wow! It is amazing how many women are opting to go early. I plan to go as long as my Dr will let me past my due date until I am induced. Maybe a lot of the women planning on being indued with pit are planning on an epi anyway so they don't care that the contractions will be more severe (is that the right word?).

I just think that its nutty to go for an elective c-section at 35 weeks! That baby is not done cooking yet! Like a PP said I could understand if DH/SO were in the military and going to be deployed but just for moms conveinece is silly in my eyes.



I was the same with about getting an epi - all my life I said the one thing I will want during labor is an epi. But then like you I did the research and decided it wasn't for me after all.
IMO yes, that's the right word! lol My contractions off of pitocin were a breeze. I'm sure they would have been more intense as time went on, but they were a nightmare on pitocin. I'm glad some women have it easier on pit, but I sure didn't.
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #27  
November 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
IMO yes, that's the right word! lol My contractions off of pitocin were a breeze. I'm sure they would have been more intense as time went on, but they were a nightmare on pitocin. I'm glad some women have it easier on pit, but I sure didn't.
Same here. Regular ctx I can handle. Pit ctx I can NOT.




Jennifer, your comment about giving birth behind a bush made me literally LOL When I was in transition with Bobby, I tried to leave the hospital. I told dh I just wanted to go into the woods. I felt like a wild animal and thought I'd be better off squatting in front of a tree like Brooke Shields on Blue Lagoon I was begging to let me leave LOL. Luckily when it gets to that point you are almost done! These are the funny stories though I remember and hold dear to my heart, because I would not have felt like that had I been medicated to the hilt, or remembered it so clearly.
__________________
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
November 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boise!
Posts: 16,196
Heather. I say that because I was like 21w when we moved from Phx to OR with #2 and I didn't even bother to find care until 28w, and then I didn't like them and I thought for sure I'd wind up delivering behind a bush...which freaked me out at the time. Now I'd rather do that than deliver with care providers that I didn't mesh with THAT much. I've read some pretty interesting outdoor birth stories though. I'm thinking this time it might happen behind the couch again like with #2.
__________________
"Unborn children should be welcomed in life and protected in law." George W. Bush






Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
November 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaeph View Post
Ugh...that thread. I read her reason for why and almost choked on my food.

I think I've plastered enough info on our DDC about how our body works in natural labor and how the baby's body works that anyone should question induction just for the sake of ease...but yeah. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

And unfortunately it's just going to get worse as we all deliver and everyone starts talking about how "oh the doctor says breastmilk isn't enough for my 8lb baby", etc. Bologna, my 24mo 30lb kiddo was like 90% exclusively bf still (big time solids issues). Ugh Ugh UGH!
Ugh... I know what you mean.... "I don't make enough milk...I can't breast feed".... B.S. I know something like 1% of the pop. can't breastfeed, if that. I think they should be saying "Breastfeeding is hard... I don't want to do anything hard, or work at anything, it hurts and I am a suck!"

I am not even wanting to read some of those threads because it makes me go crazy!!
__________________
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz







Reply With Quote
  #30  
November 12th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 8,477
I am going to have to go back to the DDC and read though that thread. I tend to skip over the induction threads.
__________________
Mom to Issac (8/22/99), Carly (8/10/06), and Zack (2/7/11)
Surromom/Aunt to Luke (1/21/09)

Reply With Quote
  #31  
November 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 871
There is also a good little discussion going on in the Heated Debates forum. Someone just responded to my post with something like... oh here we go on the unnatural birth speach, state your facts... what does pitocin do to the baby???

I responded with sorry I didn't state my facts I just thought it was common sense when undergoing a medical intervention to be informed of the risks you are exposing your baby to....
__________________
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz







Reply With Quote
  #32  
November 12th, 2010, 07:02 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 13,847
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
At the end of my pregnancy, induction didn't seem so bad. I was told i would deliver really early, and when i didn't, i got really impatient. I ended up going into labor naturally at 39 weeks. I had a long labor and a hard delivery, but avoided the epidural. I can't even imagine how it would have gone during an induction! I think it would have failed. I can't imagine setting myself up for failure like that. It's just sad how uninformed people are And they won't listen to reason either. I remember my mindset at the time, no one could have changed my feelings on the subject, but after experiencing labor, i understand.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #33  
November 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemama View Post
There is also a good little discussion going on in the Heated Debates forum. Someone just responded to my post with something like... oh here we go on the unnatural birth speach, state your facts... what does pitocin do to the baby???

I responded with sorry I didn't state my facts I just thought it was common sense when undergoing a medical intervention to be informed of the risks you are exposing your baby to....
Yep.. it is kind of common sense that when you put something foriegn and artificial into your body.. there are most likely going to be side effects.

Its not like we know everything about the effects of every single drug out there, even when we use it for medical purposes. That factor along with the factor of every birth/person/baby being different, its going to pop up that its going to do something to someone along the way. Don't get me wrong, pit has its uses and when used properly its a great thing to have.. I just don't view it as the wonder drug that people like the person who replied to you apparently do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemama View Post
Ugh... I know what you mean.... "I don't make enough milk...I can't breast feed".... B.S. I know something like 1% of the pop. can't breastfeed, if that. I think they should be saying "Breastfeeding is hard... I don't want to do anything hard, or work at anything, it hurts and I am a suck!"

I am not even wanting to read some of those threads because it makes me go crazy!!
What's sad is that a lot of medical proffessionals actually perpetuate this way of thinking. The LC I had at my son's birth was absolutely horrible. Before I even left the hospital she was saying "Some people just can't do it." Jeeze lady.. my kid is two days old, cmon!

And then there was the pedi we started out with.. who claimed I would make my 7lb son (he was born 6lbs 8oz) obese if I kept feeding him the way I was. He claimed it would be better if I switched to formula to "know exactly how much he was getting." We switched pedis after that.
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #34  
November 13th, 2010, 05:53 AM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
At the end of my pregnancy, induction didn't seem so bad. I was told i would deliver really early, and when i didn't, i got really impatient. I ended up going into labor naturally at 39 weeks. I had a long labor and a hard delivery, but avoided the epidural. I can't even imagine how it would have gone during an induction! I think it would have failed. I can't imagine setting myself up for failure like that. It's just sad how uninformed people are And they won't listen to reason either. I remember my mindset at the time, no one could have changed my feelings on the subject, but after experiencing labor, i understand.
I had the same experience, only I DID end up going threw with it and have regretted it ever since. (I posted a re-cap of the horror show birth earlier). I was 21, pregnant with #2 (my first was a c/s so no labor ever) and was told I was measuring big with #2 and "No way would I make my due date." so when 40 weeks came.....and went...I got SO depressed. Stripped my membranes to no avail, and at 10 days past my due date went in for an induction (yes, I had a Pit induction even WITH a VBAC, not proud of it ) and anyway my own mother was BEGGING me not to, she told me it was the worst thing she ever experienced and I wouldn't listen.
__________________
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
November 13th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,030
When I'm pregnant, I'll stay in a DDC up until 20ish wks then leave when all the crazy talk starts. NCB and Homebirth boards are my DDCs when I'm pregnant!

My SIL made a comment on FB about if she was selfish for wanting to pick her baby's birthday. Surprisingly, the comments I saw that night told her not to do it, and the next morning she deleted her post thingy.... Whenever she gets opposing feedback she deletes it, no one can question her.... whatever.
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #36  
November 13th, 2010, 08:40 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 6,194
If there is a bold individual out there who wants to drop these links:

"Pitocin might cause a tumultuous, difficult labor and tetanic contractions, rupture of the uterus and dehiscence of a uterine scar, lacerations of the cervix, retained placenta or postpartum hemorrhage. Postpartum perineal and pelvic floor pain is increased as a result of augmented uterine contractions. Fetal complications might include fetal asphyxia and neonatal hypoxia, physical injury and neonatal jaundice. The use of pitocin also might be a factor in cerebral palsy from deprived oxygen and autism."

The Truth About Pitocin

Not a link, but a source:

In the 18th edition of Williams Obstetrics, it is stated:

"Oxytocin - pitocin - is a powerful drug, and it has killed or maimed mothers through rupture of the uterus and even more babies through hypoxia - asphyxia aka lack of oxygen - from markedly hypertonic uterine contractions."

Pitocin Induction

Also- dangers of cytotec:
Login | Facebook

Induction risks:
What You Should Know: Risks of Labor Induction - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

This one might be my favorite- it's pretty non bias written by a midwife:
Induction of labour: balancing risks | Midwife Thinking's Blog


I've got a long list of these. So I can keep them coming. Oh, and since they don't seem to care and some of them actually *want* a c-section (OMG!!!), I can break out a pretty long list of terrifying links for that as well....
__________________
Previously known as ~~Que~~

Student Midwife, Doula, Placenta Specialist, and Lactation Counselor
Reply With Quote
  #37  
November 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 26,349
Quote:
She is a first time Mom , expecting easy, short and planned. This is the complete opposite of Motherhood.... it's long, hard and unexpected after the baby is born.
__________________
Andrea, mom to 3 beautiful girls - Abigail (8) Annabelle (5) and Alexis (3)

Expecting baby #4!



Reply With Quote
  #38  
November 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Que~~ View Post
If there is a bold individual out there who wants to drop these links:

"Pitocin might cause a tumultuous, difficult labor and tetanic contractions, rupture of the uterus and dehiscence of a uterine scar, lacerations of the cervix, retained placenta or postpartum hemorrhage. Postpartum perineal and pelvic floor pain is increased as a result of augmented uterine contractions. Fetal complications might include fetal asphyxia and neonatal hypoxia, physical injury and neonatal jaundice. The use of pitocin also might be a factor in cerebral palsy from deprived oxygen and autism."

The Truth About Pitocin

Not a link, but a source:

In the 18th edition of Williams Obstetrics, it is stated:

"Oxytocin - pitocin - is a powerful drug, and it has killed or maimed mothers through rupture of the uterus and even more babies through hypoxia - asphyxia aka lack of oxygen - from markedly hypertonic uterine contractions."

Pitocin Induction

Also- dangers of cytotec:
Login | Facebook

Induction risks:
What You Should Know: Risks of Labor Induction - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

This one might be my favorite- it's pretty non bias written by a midwife:
Induction of labour: balancing risks | Midwife Thinking's Blog


I've got a long list of these. So I can keep them coming. Oh, and since they don't seem to care and some of them actually *want* a c-section (OMG!!!), I can break out a pretty long list of terrifying links for that as well....
Thanks for the links. So true. I experienced the retained placenta, and a severe post partum hemmorhage that resulted from my babies cord coming detached from the placenta before the placenta came out, which then resulted in the midwife pulling hunks of placenta out of me. Yeah. Horror show like I said. Don't remember much more b/c I passed out.
And my baby was born blue and had to have oxygen and NICU time at birth.
And oddly, coincidence or not, he is my ONLY child with asthma, learning disabilities, was looked at when he was younger for possible being on the autism spectrum, and is about to under-go dyslexia testing.
__________________
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote
  #39  
November 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 2,058
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
This just baffles me. This is a clip from one of the articles pp posted:

It is certainly very true that pitocin plays a very big part in the shortening of labor. But - as with anything else - it comes with a price.

The major risk of pitocin induction and/or augmentation is not to you but to your baby. Indeed, it is well known that the increased pressure of the contractions can - and usually do -compress your baby's umbilical cord and as a result cuts down his oxygen supply.

We are certain that you know this to not be a good thing.

Dr. Roberto Caldeyro-Barcia has demonstrated that uterine contractions stimulated with pitocin reach over 40 mm Hg pressure on the fetal head - normally a contraction registers around 24 mm Hg. What does this mean?

This means that the quality - strength - and quantity of your uterine contractions are greatly affected when pitocin is used during labor. It is a fact that contractions tend to be longer, stronger, and with shorter relaxation periods between each of them



And yet, womens reactions to knowing about the instensity increase of a labor with Pitocin, is simply "Well I'll be medicated". Ya, OK so you won't feel the pain, but what about what the baby is going threw?
__________________
Heather, Mom to: Devon 17, Trevor 12, Bobby 10, Ryan 9, Breanna 8, Oliver 2
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
Reply With Quote
  #40  
November 13th, 2010, 01:35 PM
MamaMandy's Avatar is it Spring yet??
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 383
I don't get the mindset AT ALL. Sad that birth has become so...artificial, I guess, and arbitrary for no good reason. That some people know the risks to baby but let "convenience" outweigh, and angry that some doctors lie about this. And to top it off, it's not like c/s and inductions are easy options!
__________________
Raising my kids with boundaries - NOT battle lines.

Children are not little adults, but they ARE people too!

There's a reason they are called dependents...

AP is not alternative to those who see no other choice

http://helpguide.org/mental/parentin...t_disorder.htm



Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0