Induction Talk has started our board

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I can't believe all the induction talk.... it's crazy. I get that some people have to be induced for medical reasons but some are electing it for short, easy, no suprise labours.... ha ha ha! What the heck. I just can't believe it. It makes me sad for people that elect to be induced for such reasons.

That's it really just wanted to get that off my chest!

Christy
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

November 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually just saw that post, and came here to post the same thing! I was thinking to myself, "is it wrong to wish she has a long and painful labor?" lol
Honestly though, to be setting up an induction, this early on, just to ensure that you have a "quick, planned" labor? I could understand scheduling a repeat c-section this early on, but why on earth is there a reason to set up an induction this early?

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

November 11th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That seems ridiculous! I know the induction talk always starts early, but you guys aren't that far ahead of me! I can't even imagine talking inductions in a few weeks. I can't even imagine a provider scheduling an elective induction so far in advance!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 11th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Super Mommy
UGH! I was actually going to post this here earlier, but became occupied. I was horribly misinformed with my 2nd child, and had an induction. It was terrible...My body wasn't ready, and I pretty much rejected it. Of course, they increased the pit. All I can think now is "my poor baby!" A quick, easy, planned labor? No...It's so selfish. You'll never hear someone going in for an elective induction say "It's because it's what's best for my baby." It's all about them.

November 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
It just breaks my heart into a million different pieces every time I hear it.

November 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Super Mommy
It's actually posted on the Heated Debates forum. Pretty sure it's because of the post from our DDC.

November 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yeah... induction for non medical reasons bugs me....

case in point:
my SIL a couple weeks ago was "tired of being pregnant" and "in pain" so she hung around the hospital all day begging and waiting for a bed to open so she could be induced (@39w). 30 hours later she ends up with a c/s after being fully dilated and pushing for 20 minutes. Baby ends up spending time in the NICU because they both have fevers after the birth. But SIL doesn't want to stay in the hospital so she starts chugging ice water before they take her temp and gets discharged and taken off the antibiotics. 10 days later she is back in the hospital because of a massive infection and her incision is reopening and now she has to go back for ANOTHER surgery to remove the infection from her uterus. All because she couldn't wait any longer and wanted to be done with the "pain"....

yeah....

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 12th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
sigh. hugs. i hope it ends well.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 12th, 2010, 03:05 AM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
Honestly, before I did some research it didn't seem like a bad idea to me. I have anxiety issues and having no idea when my baby is coming really freaks me out. I also have no local family and being induced meant that my family could be here for the delivery. I've done a lot of reading though, and completely changed my mind, which is probably why I'm hanging out on the natural childbirth board. My baby will be born when she is good and ready to vacate my uterus and not a moment sooner. I've gone so far as to start telling people who ask, and myself really, that I'm due ten days later than I am. I don't want to be so hung up on my due date that I throw my birth plan out the window and beg to be induced two days after I'm due. If it wasn't for internet research though, I'd still be with a regular OB and still hoping to be induced at 39 weeks.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

November 12th, 2010, 06:12 AM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
I think elective inductions are just another sad example of where we are as a society - the majority of people are selfish with a keen sense of entitlement.

November 12th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Induction= easy, short labor? lol I wasn't induced, but my labor ended up being augmented and there wasn't anything short about it, or easy! I have to wonder if some of them are first timers that believe the line "Contractions on pitocin are no different than natural ones."

As much as elective inductions bother me, I can see why a few wome opt for them. I'd probably go for it if my husband was still in the Navy and was about to be shipped out. As long as I was within a few days, I'd want my support to be there, daddy to be there. Flame away if you don't agree, I don't care. I can understand why some women choose it.

What bothers me more is a lady I knew on WebMD trimester boards, long before they switched to the format they're in now.. She actually claims to have had an elective c-section. First time mother, she claimed she didn't want to go through labor and delivery, so she talked her doctor into an elective c-section. She then proceeded to b* her way through the weeks after the birth about how much pain she was in.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelen View Post
Induction= easy, short labor? lol I wasn't induced, but my labor ended up being augmented and there wasn't anything short about it, or easy! I have to wonder if some of them are first timers that believe the line "Contractions on pitocin are no different than natural ones."

As much as elective inductions bother me, I can see why a few wome opt for them. I'd probably go for it if my husband was still in the Navy and was about to be shipped out. As long as I was within a few days, I'd want my support to be there, daddy to be there. Flame away if you don't agree, I don't care. I can understand why some women choose it.

What bothers me more is a lady I knew on WebMD trimester boards, long before they switched to the format they're in now.. She actually claims to have had an elective c-section. First time mother, she claimed she didn't want to go through labor and delivery, so she talked her doctor into an elective c-section. She then proceeded to b* her way through the weeks after the birth about how much pain she was in.
Unfortunately it's not as uncommon as one might think. I know a mom who had all three of her kids via elective cesarean. First was on her due date, second was at 36 weeks, and third was at 35 weeks. She said she never, ever wanted to experience contractions so as soon as she started having serious BHs, she would start demanding a section. I'm sure it also helped that her husband is a surgeon at the hospital she delivered at.

November 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Super Mommy
One of the excuses they are using for the elective induction is so they can get a tax deduction for the year....ugh.

November 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by prantastic4 View Post
One of the excuses they are using for the elective induction is so they can get a tax deduction for the year....ugh.
This was a problem a couple of years ago in my ddc, my son was due in January. I was offered an induction by my OB in December because of high BP, and I turned it down. Everyone and their mother was flabbergasted at why I would turn down the tax break. I did end up having to be induced, but I at least waited till 42 weeks.

November 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I am glad I am not the only who feels the way I do. I can't believe how uneducated some women are on pregnancy, labour and birth. Some women are so selfish. I just don't get it.

On our board (Jan.2010) a lot of people were responding with "wow, great". I get that they are trying to support the woman but hey let's educate her at the same time. She is a first time Mom , expecting easy, short and planned. This is the complete opposite of Motherhood.... it's long, hard and unexpected after the baby is born. I suppose she is going to formula feed to, because of course that too is easy, short and planned..... SELFISH!!!! I hope I am not offending anyone here.

Christy

November 12th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes View Post
Unfortunately it's not as uncommon as one might think. I know a mom who had all three of her kids via elective cesarean. First was on her due date, second was at 36 weeks, and third was at 35 weeks. She said she never, ever wanted to experience contractions so as soon as she started having serious BHs, she would start demanding a section. I'm sure it also helped that her husband is a surgeon at the hospital she delivered at.
So.. contractions are the root of all evil.. but major abdominal surgery is a-okay? I just don't get that. Its not like contractions are fun, but they're pain with a purpose. I personally didn't find them to be that bad until I was put on pit. I personally wanted to do all I could to avoid a c-section!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Wow! It is amazing how many women are opting to go early. I plan to go as long as my Dr will let me past my due date until I am induced. Maybe a lot of the women planning on being indued with pit are planning on an epi anyway so they don't care that the contractions will be more severe (is that the right word?).

I just think that its nutty to go for an elective c-section at 35 weeks! That baby is not done cooking yet! Like a PP said I could understand if DH/SO were in the military and going to be deployed but just for moms conveinece is silly in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2011 View Post
Honestly, before I did some research it didn't seem like a bad idea to me. I have anxiety issues and having no idea when my baby is coming really freaks me out. I also have no local family and being induced meant that my family could be here for the delivery. I've done a lot of reading though, and completely changed my mind, which is probably why I'm hanging out on the natural childbirth board. My baby will be born when she is good and ready to vacate my uterus and not a moment sooner. I've gone so far as to start telling people who ask, and myself really, that I'm due ten days later than I am. I don't want to be so hung up on my due date that I throw my birth plan out the window and beg to be induced two days after I'm due. If it wasn't for internet research though, I'd still be with a regular OB and still hoping to be induced at 39 weeks.
I was the same with about getting an epi - all my life I said the one thing I will want during labor is an epi. But then like you I did the research and decided it wasn't for me after all.
November 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemama View Post
I am glad I am not the only who feels the way I do. I can't believe how uneducated some women are on pregnancy, labour and birth. Some women are so selfish. I just don't get it.

On our board (Jan.2010) a lot of people were responding with "wow, great". I get that they are trying to support the woman but hey let's educate her at the same time. She is a first time Mom , expecting easy, short and planned. This is the complete opposite of Motherhood.... it's long, hard and unexpected after the baby is born. I suppose she is going to formula feed to, because of course that too is easy, short and planned..... SELFISH!!!! I hope I am not offending anyone here.

Christy
I'm not offended by you in the least. I'm glad to have like minded people in the DDC with me. I think these women DO need to research, and educate themselves. I know I didn't (until now), and ended up with awful experiences. (I regret this so much!)

I am determined to have a NCB. I know it's not going to be easy. But it's called labor for a reason.

November 12th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Ugh...that thread. I read her reason for why and almost choked on my food.

I think I've plastered enough info on our DDC about how our body works in natural labor and how the baby's body works that anyone should question induction just for the sake of ease...but yeah. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

And unfortunately it's just going to get worse as we all deliver and everyone starts talking about how "oh the doctor says breastmilk isn't enough for my 8lb baby", etc. Bologna, my 24mo 30lb kiddo was like 90% exclusively bf still (big time solids issues). Ugh Ugh UGH!

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
Quote:
I'm not offended by you in the least. I'm glad to have like minded people in the DDC with me. I think these women DO need to research, and educate themselves. I know I didn't (until now), and ended up with awful experiences. (I regret this so much!)

I am determined to have a NCB. I know it's not going to be easy. But it's called labor for a reason.
It is nice to have women like you too! I really don't understand the mentality of some women on our board. Yes I agree we should all have the birth of our choice BUT it seems so many are making uneducated decisions. Just because something is offered by a doctor does not make it the healthiest option for our babies.

I read somewhere...can't remember who posted it... that they were inducing to make sure the OB of their choice delivered. It boggles my mind considering most OBs run in at the last minute and aren't even there for the long haul, like a midwife. They check you and leave... run back in to catch when you are almost done pushing.

I went over to the Heated Debate forum and read more from some women who say their inductions are easy and a breeze. I am thinking maybe for you they were... but what about the baby. Pitocin and epidurals are not easy or a breeze for the babies.

I could go on all day..... but I will try to keep my mouth shut on the subject on our DDC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search