Question about birthing centers

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2010, 11:02 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
I JUST found out that I am pregnant and I am trying to decide whether I want to go with a doctor or a midwife. There is a birthing center in my town that has an excellent reputation.

However, I have a question... after you give birth, do they send you right home? Do you stay overnight?They only have a few available rooms, so I cant imagine you stay long...

Im going to go see them next week, but I thought I would ask you guys if you had any experience with it?

November 14th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy and welcome to the board! The birth center that I am delivering at, you stay 6-12 hours.

KUP how your visit at the birth center goes.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 14th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yep, I think most you stay for 6-12 hours. They usually make sure you get something to eat, monitor you for a while to watch for problems, and then you get to go home and rest. I liked that WAY better than staying in the hospital.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 14th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The birth center I was at was kind of a crock. It was attached to a hospital. I stayed 2 days after delivery. I think birth center was just a name, not really anything to do with their philosophy .

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son was born at a freestanding birth center and we could have stayed as long as we wanted to. If I felt the need to stay a few days, my midwife would have written a note for it's necessity. We ended up leaving to go home about 8:30am after my son was born at 3:41am. We wanted to get home and sleep.

I would highly recommend checking out the birth center and see if you like the midwives there.

November 14th, 2010, 02:05 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I could not say enough good things about my birth center. My first prenatal appt was 2 hours long, all my follow ups were thirty minutes long. They really educated me, listened to me, and prepared me. I loved everyone there. Their general rule of thumb is 4-12 hours after birth you are discharged and then a nurse or midwife comes to your house the next day to check on you and baby. I unfortunately had a hospital transfer and could not wait to get the heck out of there!

November 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
The max for my birth center is 12 hours after delivery. If I'm not ready to go after that, they'll transfer baby and I to the hospital.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

November 21st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The freestanding birth center I delivered in would let you stay as long as you wanted, but they said most moms didn't stay longer than 6-8 hours. Anna was born around 10am and I was home by mid-afternoon. I felt fantastic and I was ready to go home, relax and bond with my baby, so it worked out well for us.

Expecting baby #4!

November 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
K_photo_mom's Avatar Krista
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
The freestanding birth center I delivered in would let you stay as long as you wanted, but they said most moms didn't stay longer than 6-8 hours. .
This is how mine works too. With my son I was there for 8 hours....that included labor and delivery time and with my daughter I was there for 6 and that also included labor and delivery time. I like to get back home as soon as possible.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search