Glucose test?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Super Mommy
This is my third pg and I feel no need to take the glucose test. I havent had a problem before. What is everyone else doing? Is it really necessary?

November 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm doing mine, but the birth center does a different version if you're low risk. She told me to eat two waffles or pancakes with syrup, a source of protein, and a glass of juice, and they'll draw my blood 2 hours later.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i did it with brylie, was negative, so I am skipping it this time. My CNM doesnt think it's necessary, and since I'm already eating a pretty decent brewer's diet she is even less concerned.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 15th, 2010, 09:04 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did it with all 3. I wanted to do it for my own piece of mind. I always gain a ton of weight so I'm always nervous. I'm never close to having GD. I just gain a ton of weight. My blood pressure is low, no GD... just FAT!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My understanding is that it can be different for every birth, so therefore still necessary. Talk to your doctor or midwife though, they may have different options you can consider. Like another poster said, instead of the drink you might be able to eat something specific.

This is my second pregnancy. I took it with my first and will take it again this time. Though I'm thinking that if I have to do the 3hr, I will skip it and just consider myself diabetic. Depends on what the doctor has to say about it all.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I had GD with my first. I will not be taking to glucose test. Telling a pregnant woman not to eat fo 12 hours then giving her nothing but pure sugar is a little barbaric and not accurate at all. I will just start checking my blood around 26 weeks...much more accurate. I too am "attempting" to maintain the brewers diet as my midwfie thinks the reason i had GD last time was due to being malnourished.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

November 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I did not have it done with my last pregnancy. Having been negative with my first two pregnancies, I did not see a need. Had there been any symptoms I would have had the test done. But I question it's accuracy and don't see a need to do it.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 15th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife doesn't recommend the test so I will not be having it done this time. I did have it done with my last two and I didn't have it with either boys, though.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

November 16th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I didn't do the glucose test for either pregnancy

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Super Mommy
Both times I had it done my blood sugar was really low so I don't think I'll do it... anyway I am 31 weeks and don't you need to take it by a certain time?

November 18th, 2010, 04:11 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
nada for me... I have hypoglycemia and it screws me up all the time, false readings, so, nada for me.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
November 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Didn't do it. I had no risk factors and we just check my urine every appointment. If I had felt bad we would have checked.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 18th, 2010, 06:04 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Despite my personal hatred for the normal glucose test (Inaccurate! Mean! Ridiculous!)I actually just had my glucose test today. They drew 10 vials of blood for various things, and they also took a urine sample.

I got a message on my answering machine (I know, I'm so old-school... answering machine!) while I was in the shower to call the nurse. Of course this was nice and late in the day, so I have to find out what happened tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure I might have failed my 1 hour.

Gee, I wonder why?

I've actually had problems in the past with LOW blood sugar. Like, I'll get the shakes and be unable to function if I don't eat for too long. So they essentially put me from one form of glucose-related shock into another by getting me to the brink of fainting due to fasting, and then loading me up with what tasted like cheap WalMart orange soda.

So angry! I feel like it was a situation that I was set up to fail.

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
November 18th, 2010, 08:00 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its bizarre to me to hear people say they were told to fast for this test...my CNM said DO NOT fast, and eat a high protein breakfast/lunch the day of my test. She said fasting results in a lot of false positives, because your sugar spikes super high because your body is lacking nutrition.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
deacons_mommy's Avatar Veteran
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I didn't have it with my 1st, even though I had to go through the grueling 3-hr glucose test. Since I normally pass out whenever I have blood drawn, I'm not doing it this time. I don't think I'll need it.

November 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I prolly won't be doing it, my midwife doesn't really see a point since i've never had GD with my other 3 babies. But if she ended up wanting me too i would do it pre her request

November 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
its bizarre to me to hear people say they were told to fast for this test...my CNM said DO NOT fast, and eat a high protein breakfast/lunch the day of my test. She said fasting results in a lot of false positives, because your sugar spikes super high because your body is lacking nutrition.
Ditto. My OB said not to fast for my 1hr. I'm sure instructions will be different if I have to do the 3hr (I had to fast for that one with my last pregnancy, I agree, barbaric). Anyway, my current OB said just don't eat or drink anything but water for the hour leading up to my appointment, but eat normally up until that 1 hour window. I'll go in, drink the craptastic drink, get my anatomy scan u/s done and then by the time we're done with that I'll be ready for my blood draw.

Chelsey- I think what you're describing is exactly WHY I failed my 1hr with DS. I was nervous and wasn't given any specific instructions, so I fasted. I was within 1 pt of the cut off and they had me take the 3hr anyway. I'd have fought it if I had known, but I didn't find out about that 1 point thing until several weeks later.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 19th, 2010, 08:22 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWifey View Post

I've actually had problems in the past with LOW blood sugar. Like, I'll get the shakes and be unable to function if I don't eat for too long. So they essentially put me from one form of glucose-related shock into another by getting me to the brink of fainting due to fasting, and then loading me up with what tasted like cheap WalMart orange soda.

So angry! I feel like it was a situation that I was set up to fail.
This is exactly why I didn't get it done.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
November 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been debating whether or not to get this done. I didn't have any issues with my last pregnancy and it seems like the results are pretty inaccurrate. My midwife is leaving it up to me, but she said doesn't really see a need for it in my case.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; November 22nd, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
November 23rd, 2010, 12:26 PM
NiKA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
didn't really have the drink
but I did a blood draw 2hrs after eating a normal lunch. that's it.
And even that I was leary off, but they wanted to test other stuff at the same time (iron)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search