Add butter & oil to baby's food?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My friend has a 9.5 month old who's tiny. She's 14lbs 8ozs, but she's also not very long. She is just getting over RSV & was at the pedi's office. The pedi is worried about her weight & told my friend to start adding butter & oil to her food! There has to be a better way to get the baby to gain some weight. Oil & butter? Seriously?! I told my friend I wouldn't be cool with that & I'd try upping her carb intake. Things like sweet potato & healthy fats like avacado. I'm going to have to Google some other things because I'm having a lot of trouble with that advice. I know she's not my baby, but it still just sounds awful.
November 17th, 2010, 06:22 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yuck, I would change Pediatricians immediatly. Some babies are just small. If they're healthy then there is no reason to be worried. My oldest son was 19 lbs at 1 year (my youngest was 20 lbs at 6 months). He eats, he's healthy, there is no reason for me to add anything to his food.
November 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldes son is 20lbs and about 21months old (he is on track for height, 32 inches just skinny). He has been off the chart for weight since he was 6mo old (I call him mommies little outlier). The we do not restrict butter and fats (though we generally prefer olive oil over others) -- but do not go out of the way to add them either. The truth is it does not matter what he eats, he just has crazy metabolism. So long as he is developmentally on track and continues to gain we do not worry about it. The only convern (per his peditrician) is when he gets sick he just does not have any reserves.

November 17th, 2010, 10:59 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Strange. And yes, after having a 25 pound almost exclusively breastfed 8 month old, I understand that babies have their own minds made about their size. Just like I wouldn't put Sam on a breastmilk diet, I probably wouldn't freak out about a smaller baby unless failure to thrive was a concern.
November 17th, 2010, 11:06 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
That does seem like an odd thing to add to a baby's food. If it were me, I'd ask for a referral to a nutritionist that specializes in infants and children to promote weight gain through healthy foods.

November 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd have some trouble with that too. A little butter, okay fine.. but I'd have trouble adding it to everything. It sounds iffy to me because it would seem like a doctor with geniune concerns would suggest something like Pediasure to help add something to baby's diet. Oil and butter sounds like an odd solution from a health professional.

Some things that she can try feeding baby:
Avocado
Sweet potatoes
Squash
Cheeses
Yogurts (full fat)
Meats like chicken (check thorougly for bones), cut up ham like ham off of an x-mas ham.. not lunch meat, ground beef (drain of course).

At that age my son loved macaroni and cheese, but we did baby led weaning and he was pretty good at gumming around 10 months. So we had no concerns about choking.

Beans, any of them! Kidney and black beans are awesome sources of nutrients

She can puree all of those things if she needs to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corny7474 View Post
That does seem like an odd thing to add to a baby's food. If it were me, I'd ask for a referral to a nutritionist that specializes in infants and children to promote weight gain through healthy foods.
Good suggestion!

She might be able to call WIC in a pinch. Even if she doesn't use WIC, I'm sure their nutritionist would be happy to take a moment or two to talk to her on the phone.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 17th, 2010, 04:01 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I have ALOT to say about this!!!

First off, my almost 18 month old just hit 19 lbs. My dr is very Pro-bfing and bf her kids for four years. I think that has alot to do with it. Have your friend look at growth charts for bf babies vs formula fed babies. My dr has NEVER mentioned DD's weight to us, I was the one who brought it up and she was never concerned. I think DD was 16 lbs at a year?

Ok, back to the butter/oil. I have a patient who is a nutritionist at a very large children's hospital. She and I have discussed this exact type of advice. She says that it is very common for drs to recommend babies and toddlers who are slow gainers to eat butter, oil, ice cream, etc. She says then the dr never sees the patient again and then she sees them a couple years later and they are obese and/or have heart issues at a very young age because of this antiquated advice. I would tell your friend to ignore the advice or see a new dr.

As far as what we do, I do cook in olive oil as much as i can for DD and we give her avocados. She is growing on her own curve that mimics the curve on the growth charts, she just happens to not be on the charts.

November 17th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I went through people having concerns with Courtney's weight too (she was 17lbs at 1 year), but I never had anyone say to add butter and oil to her diet! Mostly I got told to give her full fat yogurt and stuff like that...
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
November 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I've heard of babies on jm eating icecream because of slow weight gain!
November 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
well.......just a differing viewpoint. I *MIGHT* consider using ghee- BUT that is only because I have a friend in ayurvedic medicine school and she has really educated me on ayurvedic eating. Ghee is very balancing and an immune system booster. Also a nice organic olive oil could be very beneficial without adding saturated fats. Even an organic butter is still butter and probably not the best idea. Of course I would always reach for the avocado first (what I gave both my babies for their first food) but yes, I *might* add a bit of organic ghee or olive oil. A real bit.

I do agree that you want to be careful not to get kids used to eating foods that are loaded with butter because they will always need that, but in my mind it has also to do with the quality of what you are using. A nice organic butter is much better than a poor quality margarine, or using something like a generic GMO corn oil vs a nice quality organic olive oil.

however, she is 9.5 months old, so I probably also would not do these things that young. Around a year old I might consider it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search