I went to a birthing center today....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
So I met with the midwife at the birthing center today. I really liked it there, it was a super nice atmosphere, and everyone was super nice. Every question I asked they answered excatly the way I would have wanted... They dont induce or force C-sections, but they do play it very safe and try to be overly cautious about it. You can move, eat, drink, give birth in a tub, and they will massage your back while you are in pain... sounds like a good deal to me! EXCEPT....

I asked do you have ANY form of pain medication? Their answer is no.

I knew I couldnt get an epidural there, which is fine... but I thought maybe they would have lighter forms of things that I could have if I truly felt I needed it. No. This makes me nervous. Do I want to put myself in the position where I dont have the option?

They did say that sometimes a woman really wants an epidural so they are transfered to the hospital...

So ladies... how bad is the pain?.... really....

November 18th, 2010, 01:52 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Our birth center was very upfront that there was no pain meds as well as no transfer for pain meds. They did however have heat and cold packs, as well as saline injections in the lower back, which can reduce pain in back labor. I had a doula which helped me and the moving around was key for me. At one point the midwife told me to rest in the bed and the contractions were 10000x's worse. Moving kept them bearable, imo. I loved everything about the prenatal care at the birth center as well. It was very thorough and they really listened to me, educated me, and made me feel empowered and comfortable.

November 18th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
That's very normal with birth centers just an fyi. I don't know of any freestanding birth centers that offer any type of medicinal pain relief.

I've been through natural childbirth 3 times and it's been different every time. Yes, it hurts; yes, there were times I questioned my decision to go natural; yes, it probably is the worst pain you've ever felt. But it was worth it. It was worth being able to get up and feel good immediately after the birth. It was worth having an alert baby that breastfed right away. It was worth not having any lingering pain or other side effects. It was worth the empowered feeling you get afterwards.

If they offer non medicinal pain relief measures (which I'm sure they do), learn about them and how they can help. Water therapy, birth balls, massage, and other things CAN help. Going into it with the mindset that you can do it will help. Keep yourself open to the idea that things might not work out the way you planned, but don't EXPECT it to go differently. You don't want to be overconfident to the point where you spiral into depression afterwards if things happen different than you planned. But go into it believing in your body, and go into it and DO YOUR BEST for the situation. Your best is not someone else's best, your best right now is not your best 5 minutes from now.

sorry, kinda said more than I intended at first LOL. Anyway, the point is - you can do it, it's worth it. And if circumstances don't allow you to go totally natural, that's okay too.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's pretty typical for birthing centers and midwives. Personally I would rather get an epidural than IV meds. I know the method of admistration is easier but the sideffects IMO are worse.

So this is my take on the pain of contractions, (I know this is not how hynobaby people view it), labor is hard work and it can be painful. But it's pain for a reason, your body is pushing out your baby. So it's different than a broken bone or a punch in the gut. It's all about your preperation and mind set. If you are iffy about going without pain meds going into it, you might have a bad experience in a situation without pain meds available. There are exceptions to that. There are some women who just get through easily without any preperation or that have quick labors and there isn't time. But don't count on being in that group. I think you need to decide what you really want and go for it.

Research the different pain meds you were thinking you might want and see if you really like the idea of that. If you do then maybe the birth center isn't the right choice. Or maybe you decide you don't like the idea of them for one reason or another and stick with the birth center. Or you might decide your desire for a birth center out ways your desire for pain meds.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree, I don't know of any freestanding birth center that could administer pain meds. They are VERY limited as to what they can do (i.e. pitocin only after delivery to control bleeding). I agree that I would take an epidural over pain medication any day, because I think it's probably the lesser of two evils. With that said, I can't have an epidural, so that's not even an option. Pain medication like Demerol, or other narcotics have side effects for you and baby.

I would definitely research the other types of pain management and decide if it's something you're really willing to use. If not, I'd definitely stick with the birth center. I haven't experienced it yet, but I truly believe a lot of it has to do with your attitude going into it and how you perceive the pain (pain with a purpose).

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it at home No pain meds there! I think it's good that you can transfer if you want meds - I would actually question somewhere that doesn't allow for transfer for pain meds. I think that is very questionable and unethical. A woman must be allowed to transfer to a hospital at anytime she wishes for whatever reason.
Anyway - It just depends on what you want. Sure labor hurts and is hard work - but there is a huge difference between pain and suffering. Labour is a good pain, a broken leg is a bad pain. It's hard to explain.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 19th, 2010, 10:25 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, it does hurt, yes. Out of all the pain in my life, I wouldn't say that childbirth is even in my top three most painful experiences, though. During labor, you know the pain is productive and that each contraction brings you closer to your goal of birthing your baby. Once the baby comes out, really the pain just evaporates. It's fantastic. I don't think I remembered the pain even a week after my son was born because that was such a small and incidental part of the whole birthing process and really wasn't unbearable.

I also found that for me, not allowing myself a way to opt out is helpful to achieving the birth experience that I want. I think I COULD labor and birth naturally in a hospital where epidurals and pain-killers were available, but it is very grating and wearisome to have someone hounding you about doing something you don't want to while you are in labor. That is why I definitely prefer a home/ birth center setting for birth because while I do have someone to know if something is wrong and can foresee it, they aren't creating problems before they exist (you're not progressing fast enough, why don't you take this to relax, baby is too big, etc.).

November 19th, 2010, 10:46 AM
K_photo_mom's Avatar Krista
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
but there is a huge difference between pain and suffering. Labour is a good pain, a broken leg is a bad pain. It's hard to explain.
I completely agree. I have had migraines that were worse than labor pain because of the reason stated above. I've had three natural births and the pain was different for all of them, but they were all doable. Especially my second - a waterbirth.
November 19th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
I did it at home No pain meds there! I think it's good that you can transfer if you want meds - I would actually question somewhere that doesn't allow for transfer for pain meds. I think that is very questionable and unethical. A woman must be allowed to transfer to a hospital at anytime she wishes for whatever reason.
Anyway - It just depends on what you want. Sure labor hurts and is hard work - but there is a huge difference between pain and suffering. Labour is a good pain, a broken leg is a bad pain. It's hard to explain.
Well said and I totally agree!

I don't think I would have needed anything at all had I not had pitocin.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 19th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I think that not only every woman, but every pregnancy and labor and delivery, different. For me, labor was hands down the most pain I have ever been in.

Even so, I was in a hospital (insurance reasons) and never even once thought about getting pain meds because I wanted a natural birth so badly and had prepared as best I could for the pain of labor. I think the more you know about labor, the less scary it is. I think fear makes pain a million times worse.

If it were me, I would research and assess my options. I agree with Bobbity Boo that you may find the desire for a natural childbirth outweighs the concern of not having pain meds immediately available.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search