The other side of induction/elective c-section -

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
There has been a lot of talk lately about moms getting elective inductions only because they don't want to be pregnant anymore. I know that can have a negative effect on the baby but something I don't see talked about too much is the effect on mom. Is there one? Is there any negative effect on a woman's body when the baby is taken out before she goes into labor? I think about this a lot with elective c-sections and wonder why they are scheduled rather than waiting for the woman to at least be in the beginning stages of labor. I am sure I can google this but I am curious to hear what you ladies have to say.
November 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't say personally. I know the co-worker who was pregnant at the same time I was pregnant with DS had to be induced for severe pre-eclampsia. As far as I know she's fine now, but went into it terrified. I know she was very nervous about labor before this happened, so I'm sure some of that was what was going on, but the knowledge that baby was coming early because of something other than normal labor had to have a play in it too.

I know, not elective, but she wasn't in labor and had to go in. In that case it was for the best, but she was very scared going into it.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would think the elective c-section there could be an issue with the milk coming in since you do not ever go into labor, your body never gets those signals.

November 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a good question! I really don't know much about it, other than milk not coming in like the PP said. I hope some of our wonderful NCB board members will have some insight because now I want to know, too!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
November 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I wonder this because my friend had a scheduled c-section. It was before she went into labor and a week later she was back in the hospital with congestive heart failure. They told her it was caused by the fluid shift of being pregnant to not being pregnant. I hope some people can chime in on this!
November 19th, 2010, 06:41 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
Heart failure can occur with any pregnancy or birth. It is more common when excessive fluids are given during the birth. With epidurals and c-sections, fluids are given to keep the blood pressure up. The body just can't handle it, as its swollen already. This causes temporary Heart failure.

There are other kinds of heart failure caused by pregnancy (more permanent) but that's more related to high blood pressure.

November 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not have an elective induction, but I did have an induction when my body was absolutely not ready for labor (0cm dilated/0% effaced/-4 station/long & firm cervix, etc)

i had milk supply issues (took my milk 8 days to come in and was very low initially, it took a LOT of effort to build my supply up.

I had terrible PPD

I also fully believe I never would've bonded with Brylie if
1) I had an epidural
2) I was unable to breastfeed

also, many women who have cytotec have horrific side effects - uterine rupture, etc. cytotec is very dangerous.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 19th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Arachne
THe mention of congestive heart failure... and now I'm worried about it!! I'm one of those awful sorts of worry warts.
November 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well - the biggest risk would be from a c-section. It's major abdominal surgery - which does kill people. The main risk is infection, then there are bad reactions to anesthesia, doctor mistakes (intestines being cut - leading to internal infection) and blood loss. These are just what I can think of off hand. Surgery is best avoided whenever possible. The biggest risk to mom of an induction is a c-section. Then there are things like uterine rupture ( more of a risk with cytotec or vbacs).

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
HurricaneLady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a mom in my PR who was forced into an induction and the child had severe reflux and milk protein intolerance after loads of crying baby, RX's, and finally the ped telling her not to breastfeed. She just tried a chiro as a last result who told her the reflux was due to an immature nervous system caused by induction too soon and after one visit the baby is better!! So they CAN cause issues with baby!

Parker Hudson 11/1/08 8.14, 22.5" Frank Breech Csection/Kennedy Eve 11/18/10 9lb, 21" Natural VBAC
November 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
deacons_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Well I definitely have experience with this. With my first, I was very stupid and uninformed and my doctor induced me early for no reason (about a week before my DD, and I was not dialated, 0% effaced, etc). I of course didn't progress like they wanted me to because my body & baby weren't ready for labor, and I ended up with a c-section. I had horrible PPD, felt very detached from my son & had a very hard time bonding, had a lot of issues with my milk coming in and breastfeeding, and had infections afterwards including mastitis. It had a HUGE effect on me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search