Isaeph (or other unasissted birthers)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2010, 07:46 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just curious, but how did you deal with the clean up of everything?

We were at the hospital, but before we could even make it there, I'd already thrown up on the floor twice. I think it would have been pretty messy if I'd stayed home the whole time. DH wouldn't have been great about cleaning everything up, that's for sure.

Also, how did you handle cutting the cord? Do they have kits or something you bought in advance?

Did you have anyone else at your house besides DH and your other children?

Did you see a midwife or someone through your whole pregnancy that knew you were going to birth at home without them?

I don't think I'm going to have an unassisted birth this time or anything, but I think it's pretty interesting. It sounds like it could be really peaceful compared to the birth I had at the hospital.

November 21st, 2010, 10:34 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'd love to know too!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
November 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Just curious, but how did you deal with the clean up of everything?

We were at the hospital, but before we could even make it there, I'd already thrown up on the floor twice. I think it would have been pretty messy if I'd stayed home the whole time. DH wouldn't have been great about cleaning everything up, that's for sure.

After #2 was born my mother cleaned everything up (we didn't ask though, she's just uber neurotic/controlling about cleaning and dh wishes that she would have just let it be so he could do it). She soaked the towels in the bathtub and then washed them and everything was fine. After #3 (she was NOT invited again), dh just threw all the towels in the washer and they were fine. They were dark colored towels, and nothing fancy so if they would have been ruined we wouldn't have cared. But they came clean just fine. I like to have a shower curtain on the floor and a couple of towels, and that's it. I've never thrown up in labor, but I'd keep a bucket handy just in case. The mess all-in-all is really much less than we thought it would be both times.

Also, how did you handle cutting the cord? Do they have kits or something you bought in advance?

We just boiled brand new scissors. We'll probably do the same again. We tied dd's cord with a brand new shoelace, but we didn't tie ds2's at all. We waited both times until the cord stopped pulsing before cutting. Dd's cord leaked a little trapped blood on her first pair of jammies, so I kept ds2's cord a little longer (maybe like 4") the first night and wrapped in a paper towel that I changed every time I changed his diaper (the cord was cold and I didn't want it making him colder). I loathe the cord clamping thingies, it always poked ds1's belly and drove me crazy, then it made the cord stump really pokey too and after the pedi took the clamp off I had to trim the edges of his stump because they scratched his belly.

Did you have anyone else at your house besides DH and your other children?

With my first UC my mother was there visitting from out of state *sigh*. With #3 it was just the kids and I during most of my labor during the day while dh was at work, and then I called him home about 2 1/2 hours before ds2 was born. I needed him to squeeze my back (back labor, stubborn posterior baby). This time it'll just be us and the kids again.

Did you see a midwife or someone through your whole pregnancy that knew you were going to birth at home without them?

With #2 I saw my old OB for the first two visits, then we moved out of state and I finally settled on an out of hospital birth center around 28w and saw 5mw's + 1 student. I didn't mesh with any of them though and knew by about 31w that I wanted to stay home for the birth. I kept going to my appts though. With #3 we had an unassisted pregnancy and are doing the same again.

I don't think I'm going to have an unassisted birth this time or anything, but I think it's pretty interesting. It sounds like it could be really peaceful compared to the birth I had at the hospital.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like this topic. I have a few questions of my own if you don't mind. How did you prepare yourself for going unassisted? I think I could do it, I'm not scared of labor or birth but my worry would be is that I'm not medically trained so I wouldn't know if I was losing too much blood or something. I think I have a tendancy to lose more blood than normal. I am fine and I've never had an emergency situation but I don't even know what that would look like, KWIM?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
I didn't have any blood loss concerns with #1, so I wasn't extra worried about or anything with #2 or #3. I did read that anything more than 2c of blood loss was too much, so dh and I took 2c of water and put red food coloring on it and poured it on a towel. We wanted to see what it looked like. I also make sure to communicate with him during labor/birth/after birth and if I were to ever feel light-headed or off, I would tell him immediately so he could keep a close eye on me or so we could go in. For the baby, we keep the cord connected until it stops pulsing and keep baby on me or with him.

As for how I prepared, when I was pg #2 I read everything I could find on the subject online, including an emergency birth handbook (I have since lost the link for it) and educated dh on what to expect as much as I could. I read hundreds of birth stories, any kind, I've learned something from all of them. And I checked out trustbirth.com I love Carla Hartley. And I prayed. A LOT. I felt a peace from God about the whole situation, and my litmus test was bringing it up to dh...who had been 100000% against a birth center birth with #1, and against a mw-assisted hb with #2, and when he immediately conceded, I knew it was a God thing. If I ever felt for a second, or dh ever felt for a second that God was trying to tell us that we were in over our heads with a specific delivery, we'd seek outside help right away, but we both have peace.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this may be a stupid question...but how do you go about the whole birth certificate thing? my 1st birth was a hospital birth so they just took care of it for us and we filled it out and signed it.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
November 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
It depends on the state. It's easiest to email the office of vital stats and ask what you have to do...something I haven't done here yet, but I've heard that you need a medical proof of pregnancy...guess I better get on that. In Oregon, you just needed someone that wasn't at the birth to sign a paper saying they witnessed the pregnancy. We had our landlord sign for #2 and my friend sign for #3.

November 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for sharing all your knowledge! I find your stories so beauitful and inspiring!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
November 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
4seasons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So interesting... I was considering a UC when my insurance company was being closed-minded jerks and forcing me to go to a hospital. No thank you, I'd rather do it home alone. I started the research and then they conceded. Anyway, my question is- what do you do if you tear? Who is stitching that up?! (I'm a ripper )

November 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Ty for sharing, doing a UC is one of our options this time and it's nice to read about yours

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 23rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
So interesting... I was considering a UC when my insurance company was being closed-minded jerks and forcing me to go to a hospital. No thank you, I'd rather do it home alone. I started the research and then they conceded. Anyway, my question is- what do you do if you tear? Who is stitching that up?! (I'm a ripper )
I'm not exactly sure what I would do if I tore, to be honest. I've got a friend about an hour away who has medical personel in her family, and I guess if I was completely desperate I'd ask for suggestions from her. I would probably call around to area mw's though and see if any would do the stitches, and if not I guess I'd have to find an OB that would. I had an (unnecessary, unwanted, unconsented-he just announced as he cut) episiotomy with #1 and I was very much worried it would tear with #2 or #3, but it didn't.

November 23rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
I tore w/ both, 1 because of hospital crap, the 2nd is because I have a small vagina No, I just didn't stretch it out like I needed to during pregnancy exercises... But that's a good idea to call around to local MW's. I would probably just go across the street since the hospital is literally right there That's one heck of an ER bill though... I rather not get stitched but heal naturally anyway. I had stitches w/ dd1 only because I had an epi and I knew I wouldn't feel it. W/ my homebirth the MW suggested a stitch but I told her if I could heal on my own she better not touch me w/ a needle.

Ok, enough rambling...

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 23rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Yeah, if it was a small tear, I'd just leave it. If it was ginormous or something though, I'd find someway to get it fixed. Thankfully, my "routine" episiotomy was small and only required 2 stitches. Should have kicked the doctor in the face for doing it though, I only pushed a few times anyway with all of my kids, and they've all been virtually the same size. The most injury I've sustained when left to my own devices was (ah jeez-words escape me now) rug burn type thing up inside with #2. It healed fine on its own though until I stepped too far about a week after birth and reopened it. Skid mark..that's what I was trying to say. It was still completely better by 2w pp though.

November 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for answering my questions!

November 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaeph View Post
Yeah, if it was a small tear, I'd just leave it. If it was ginormous or something though, I'd find someway to get it fixed. Thankfully, my "routine" episiotomy was small and only required 2 stitches. Should have kicked the doctor in the face for doing it though, I only pushed a few times anyway with all of my kids, and they've all been virtually the same size. The most injury I've sustained when left to my own devices was (ah jeez-words escape me now) rug burn type thing up inside with #2. It healed fine on its own though until I stepped too far about a week after birth and reopened it. Skid mark..that's what I was trying to say. It was still completely better by 2w pp though.
I got those w/ both pregnancies. Kailey's was pretty bad but Nola's stuff healed just fine in my opinion. Besides, I think my MW stitched my skin too tight w/ Kailey and I've always had a bit of a problem since so I def. didn't want her doing anything the second time!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 23rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
I have a question too! What if you go into labour before 37 weeks? That is the cut off for home birth here. Just wondering if it is a concern for you.

Christy
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

November 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
#3 was born at 35w6d. It's a very individual thing for each mom and for each baby imo. If I went to 42w, I'd probably be somewhat alarmed because I've never gone to 40w...much the same way that if someone who usually went to 42w delivered at 36w, she'd wonder if something was wrong, kwim? For me and for dh, it's all about prayer. With #3, I just knew he was coming early. I had a feeling right from the beginning that he'd be in a weird position at birth-I thought breech until around 20 weeks when he'd been posterior for 2 weeks and we found on our u/s that he had a placenta that draped over the top onto the front. I know I make short cords (another answered prayer, I was scared to death of a long cord with room for wrapping around the baby and getting knots while pg with #1 so I prayed a LOT about it), so I just assumed that he probably couldn't turn away from it. I still encouraged it for a while, but I came to a point that I felt like God was saying "this is his safest position, leave him be", so I did. I prayed that he would come early enough to fit with no problems, being posterior and all and knowing his head would come out wide part first. But I also prayed that he wouldn't come until he was able to eat and breath and do all the necessary life-sustaining functions. When I was 35w3d I was sitting (or laying?) next to dh and I felt a weird movement in my belly and I can only describe it as #3 practicing breathing. I knew then that it was a sign from God that everything was ok. Not long after, I started contracting. I contracted 11 minutes apart (closer while dd nursed and for the first hour or so after) around the clock for 3 days, and then on the 4th morning they started coming closer at 7 minutes apart. I felt like God gave us a nice long labor to finish up any preparation that #3 needed (the chemicals released in labor help the baby prepare for life outside the womb) and I felt secure knowing that he was ready to be born. And he was perfect when he was born. He never had any trouble breathing or eating. He did have a hard time regulating his temps for a few days, so I wore him skin to skin + diaper in my shirt.
God has always answered my prayers related to birth/pregnancy, we spend a lot of time praying that our babies won't come before they can breath/eat/poop on their own and have confidence that God will signal one of us if we need to seek outside help. So I guess my answer isn't a specific cut-off, but a feeling. And dh feels the same way. Just because ds2 was perfect at 35w6d doesn't mean that a future pg will be, and I don't think dd was ready at that point because she didn't come until 39w3d.

November 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Mom to 4 girls!!
Thanks for the info. I agree that gestation is very different for all women. I think once you get into a pattern you can figure out what is normal.
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search