introducing bottle: questions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Ripley is 3 weeks old now and seems to be going through a feeding frenzy! She seriously ate all night last night and my left nipple is KILLING me! I had two lactation consultants tell me that her latch is fine, that the nipple is just more sensitive than the other one. She is a fantastic eater, but it would be great for dad to be able to give her a bottle if I am in too much pain. I don't want to deal with nipple confusion, but I would like her to be able to take an occasional bottle from dad.

When would you suggest starting to get her used to an occasional bottle, and what type of bottle/nipples did you have success with?

Also, when she's super mad, we let her suck on a finger, but she's sucking our skin off! Do you have a pacifier suggestion? I really hate pacifiers, but would not be opposed to occasional soothing.

Please let me know what you think about the bottle (when to start and what to use) and the paci.

Thanks!!!

I'm also posting this in the Oct playroom.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
November 20th, 2010, 10:10 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't start the bottle until two months. I wanted to make sure my supply was in and that good nursing habits were established first. Right around 6 weeks, DS had a huge growth spurt and nursed constantly. If we'd started the bottle before then, my supply probably wouldn't have been able to catch up with that.

We used avent bottles. One suggestion I have is to never go past the slow or #1 flow on any nipple you use. Once they start getting a faster flow, they might get discouraged waiting for let down at the breast.

We used NUK pacifiers http://www.nuk-usa.com/products/c-8$p-57/classic-silicone-pacifier.aspx from a few weeks on. We never had any issues with them affecting his latch or anything. I think they actually helped DS figure out his tongue needed to be down when he nursed.

November 20th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always been partial to Soothie pacifiers. They're the big ones you see with the disc on it where its all one piece. Sadly they're pricey, but imo worth it. Your little one is going to end up having a preference though, so whatever you get, don't go all in on one type. My son's preference changed as he got older and he ended up with MAM pacies in the end. Those are also pretty nice.

For introducing a bottle.. I have no idea. We dealt with several issues that lead us to switch over to bottles completely, so its not something I dealt with. I've heard some really good things about medela's therashells and soft shells. I've never tried them, just heard second hand. I do have some to try for this time around though!

I can honestly say that lansinoh's lanolin didn't help me, but medela's tender care lanolin did (its easier to apply and seemed to really moisturize/heal the skin better) and Soothies gel pads are nice to have. When you put the soothies on your nipples they are cool/cold so its very soothing. I've also heard really good things about Earth Mama products. If you're intrested in them look on Franklin Goose's webpage. I'm not sure where else you might find them.

Some good products meant for healing and soothing might go a long way towards helping you through this growth spurt your little one is going through!

For bottles we liked Soothie bottles as well. They're just like the pacifiers. If you want one that claims to be breastfeeding friendly, look into breastflow bottles. Supposedly they make baby do the same things with their mouth to bottle feed as they would to breastfeed, so it helps maintain and support latching.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bottle - I was told to do it at 5 or 6 weeks. I did - it was fine - and then I didn't and now my 6 month old won't take it at all.
Soother - wasn't going to do it but she needed it at the NICU. so she has a gumdrop. It's very nice. And honestly now I'm happy she takes one because being a human pacifier does get old fast. (car ride, teething )

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok, I went to the grocery store (super small town) and got a soothies paci, an avent paci (well both were 2 packs), and a avent bottle. She used both pacifiers!! It was great!! She was able to remain calm for so much longer!! Now she's eating and never really fussed before hand. Next will be to pump and try out the bottle. I need my left nipple to heal. There is a hole in it where her upper gums hit it. I try different positions, but she still clamps down on it so hard I gasp and my toes curl in pain. the right side is always fine, but the left is a killer.

Thanks for the advise!

[url=http://lilypie.com]
November 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh ouchie . I can relate a little. I didn't actually nurse very much because DS had trouble latching so I pumped. The pump eventually actually ripped a mole that was on my left breast right off. It was just close enough to the suction area to be effected even though it was flat. Oh that hurt!

I hope it heals fast!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
If you can get them, I'd recommend looking into a nipple shield. Usually they are for latch troubles, but it may give just enough protection to your nipple to let it heal. I had a Medela one that we used for a couple of months. I got it at Target. My DD ended up in the NICU for a few days after birth and I was pumping. Initially with just the colostrum, there wasn't anything to lube the shells on my pump, and they ended up sucking the skin off in rings around both nipples. Then a baby started sucking on them. OW! The shield helped a lot! If you do get one, don't use it any longer than you have to, though. I got this one: Amazon.com: Medela Contact Nipple Shield - Small (20mm.): Baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search