What tests/ultrasounds DO you do?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I did 3 ultrasounds - 11 weeks because she couldn't find a HB (never can, nothing new really), 20 weeks obviously, and at 42 to check placent and fluid levels. Then just basic bloodwork and GBS. That was it! Oh and she did a pap but not until my 6 week PP check up, which was nice. I only ever had 1 exam during my pregnancy and 1 during my labor... two thumbs up for that!!

Facebook
November 24th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Arachne
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
95% sure you're pregnant!!!!?! - I want to see a POAS pic tomorrow morning! LOL!

tests - because of 2 previous m/c I had an early ultrasound scheduled - started to spot that morning but all was well. (had 2 subchorionic hematomas) Had a second u/s about a week later just to check on the SCHs.
Also did a 20 week scan - because I had a home birth and just wanted to check that baby wouldn't need to be born in a hospital. (baby ended up being an emergency transfer - but not because of anything preexisting and is fine now! )
Did the normal blood work - iron/std test
did the GBS test
No quad screen, no nucal fold, no amnio, no cvs.
I had a pap done at my 6 week post partum. - I'd say do that. I hadn't had one in about 4 years. Every 3 years is Canada's new recommendation for women who have had normal results. There isn't really a point doing one now if you are pregnant because they won't do anything about it if it's abnormal - just check it again 6 weeks post partum. SO why find out something that will cause you stress when your pregnant if there isn't anything you can do about it?
They did a pap smear on me. I got a call back saying I had some abnormal cells, and the OB nurse had me FREAKING out. Like, I cried for TWO weeks. She said it was "4ish" on a scale of 1 - 10, and definitely not nothing. I'm like What the ***!? How the heck do YOU know? I talked to the doctor, and he shrugged it off like it was nothing. They wanted to do a colposcopy, but I told them to wait until I wasn't pregnant, because, they weren't going to do anything else (they said they wouldn't, and I wouldn't have allowed it), and, if the colposcopy came back with bad results, then I just had how many more months of getting upset over bad news? This was July, they wouldn't do a biopsy until I was 16 weeks postpartum, so, next May. I saw no point in stressing myself out.

With just the pap results, I can tell myself it's most likely nothing, and maybe it was abnormal cells brought on by pregnancy, because my immune system dropped a good bit when I got pregnant. And maybe, when I efface and dilate, all those 'bad' cells with slough off and I'll get new ones and it'll be no issue. Denial works wonders for me. The doctor even said he had no problem with me waiting until 16 weeks postpartum, because he thought it wasn't much, if anything.
November 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiana View Post
Oh I had a Pap done just this last fall, and it really hurts to get one when pregnant so I'd decline it.

I am a week late, but the test is negative this morning so it must be other factors. Oh well...

I did the HIV thing w/ Kailey but haven't w/ others. I don't see the need to continue with the STD testing thing.
That's exactly what I said to a nurse. She tried to explain that "you can never be completely sure what your partner might be doing, only what you're doing." Um yep, I can. Just because some men cheat doesn't mean they all do. Thanks though. Needless to say, I haven't encountered her again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fright View Post
They did a pap smear on me. I got a call back saying I had some abnormal cells, and the OB nurse had me FREAKING out. Like, I cried for TWO weeks. She said it was "4ish" on a scale of 1 - 10, and definitely not nothing. I'm like What the ***!? How the heck do YOU know? I talked to the doctor, and he shrugged it off like it was nothing. They wanted to do a colposcopy, but I told them to wait until I wasn't pregnant, because, they weren't going to do anything else (they said they wouldn't, and I wouldn't have allowed it), and, if the colposcopy came back with bad results, then I just had how many more months of getting upset over bad news? This was July, they wouldn't do a biopsy until I was 16 weeks postpartum, so, next May. I saw no point in stressing myself out.

With just the pap results, I can tell myself it's most likely nothing, and maybe it was abnormal cells brought on by pregnancy, because my immune system dropped a good bit when I got pregnant. And maybe, when I efface and dilate, all those 'bad' cells with slough off and I'll get new ones and it'll be no issue. Denial works wonders for me. The doctor even said he had no problem with me waiting until 16 weeks postpartum, because he thought it wasn't much, if anything.
A lady in my DDC went through that. She did the colposcopy though. It indeed turned out to be absolutely nothing. They're still going to check again post partum.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search