Log In Sign Up

Wish me luck...


Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Arachne
Guest
Posts: n/a
I seem to have missed ALL of the classes in this area for NCB/Bradley/Hypnobabies. I actually didn't see anything for hypnobabies. Bradley classes, from what I understand are 12 weeks long. I've only got 8 weeks left. I've contacted a doula, and am contacting the other one in this area today. I really have no clue what I'm going to do if she doesn't contact me back, or if I can't afford her. I've always been insanely stubborn. I could always hope my being stubborn gets me through without pain medicine and hopefully other interventions. I've been doing reading. I got "Natural Childbirth, The Bradley Way" and "Ina May's Guide To Childbirth". I'm watching the Business of Being Born, tonight.

It looks like books, and hopefully this one doula are my only options. Can anyone recommend any other good books?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,030
I'm not taking any classes either. DH and I attended the class at the birth center, but it was really more of an education thing than preparation. I think DH benefited from it more than I did, and he has a better idea of what to expect now, but it didn't really do much for us in terms of coping techniques. I've read some books as well, and we do have a doula. She said that you can definitely do it, even with out a course, and that the key is being educated and having an idea of your different options for coping techniques.
__________________


*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*


Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
Reply With Quote
  #3  
November 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Left Coast
Posts: 816
You can maybe contact a Bradley instructor and ask for a fast track course. Usually child birth educators want to do as much as they can to help women achieve a NCB. So you can always ask!

Otherwise you are doing good with reading as much as you can.
__________________


Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
November 23rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,862
Hypnobabies is done completely from home on your own schedule, and I think they recommend starting around 32 weeks. You totally have time for Hypnobabies.
__________________
Mariah, AP Mommy to Juliana

Reply With Quote
  #5  
November 23rd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer8080 View Post
I'm not taking any classes either. DH and I attended the class at the birth center, but it was really more of an education thing than preparation. I think DH benefited from it more than I did, and he has a better idea of what to expect now, but it didn't really do much for us in terms of coping techniques. I've read some books as well, and we do have a doula. She said that you can definitely do it, even with out a course, and that the key is being educated and having an idea of your different options for coping techniques.
That's exactly what I thought of the hospital's class. They did go over some very minor pain management techniques, but the only thing that ever came into play was the breathing thing.

I agree.. contact an instructor and ask for a crash course. You can also head to your library to pick up videos and books. It can still be done . In the end you can take 100 courses, but you're going to have to try different things to see what works for you. Just something to keep in mind when you actually get to it and are in labor. Don't worry if a technique doesn't work for you, or if part of it works and part of it doesn't. Try variations of techniques, make up your own etc.
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #6  
November 23rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
Arachne
Guest
Posts: n/a
My husband's been through this twice before, and this is my first time. However, the other labors/deliveries he's seen were very much the standard, with medicine, interventions, etc. He's extremely nervous about me doing this naturally, but I think he's slowly easing into it.

I guess I need to find books that offer different coping techniques?

I've checked everywhere in my area. No one is offering classes right now, except the hospital... which are typical, hospital-standard classes.

I contacted that last doula/midwife. She's going to be out of town when I'm due. If I still haven't gone by the time she gets back, I can call her though, she says. She also has a student, who MIGHT be willing to travel down to me. I'm really not holding my breath on it though.

The doula DID say if she had to recommend a doctor in this area for NCB, one of the OB's in my office is the one to go with. I go between the two OB's and there's no guarantee that I'll get him, but she said I'm at the right OB office, if I'm going to do this natural.

Looks like I'm back to more books, and possibly Hypnobabies. Does anyone know where I can get maybe a used copy of hypnobabies or anything? We're kind of tight, and while it's on sale at the moment, I'm still not sure we can swing that, plus the couple more things we need to get for baby, plus Christmas, plus closing costs on a house. I have checked my library, they don't have anything. It's a tiny library, and the only Bradley Method book I found in their system was the "Natural Childbirth, The Bradley Way" book.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 23rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 10,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fright View Post
Does anyone know where I can get maybe a used copy of hypnobabies or anything?
Ebay!
__________________


*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*


Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
Reply With Quote
  #8  
November 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fright View Post
Looks like I'm back to more books, and possibly Hypnobabies. Does anyone know where I can get maybe a used copy of hypnobabies or anything? We're kind of tight, and while it's on sale at the moment, I'm still not sure we can swing that, plus the couple more things we need to get for baby, plus Christmas, plus closing costs on a house. I have checked my library, they don't have anything. It's a tiny library, and the only Bradley Method book I found in their system was the "Natural Childbirth, The Bradley Way" book.
I honestly didn't think the books were all that helpful, just the tracks. Last time I checked, you could find the torrent and download the tracks for free.
__________________
Mariah, AP Mommy to Juliana

Reply With Quote
  #9  
November 23rd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Arachne
Guest
Posts: n/a
I consulted the library, and I applied for inter-library book borrowing. Hopefully the huge city has Hypnobabies on it's shelves, although, I won't get my hopes up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
November 23rd, 2010, 05:27 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,062
Yeah, you can definitely download the Hypnobabies tracks. I've got them on my computer, but it took forever to upload to send through e-mail! The file was huge, and I had to use a special website to send it. I did find a torrent though!
HypnoBabies ? hypnobabies ? isoHunt ? the BitTorrent & P2P search engine
You need to download the program Bit Torrent.
BitTorrent
Get the program downloaded, then go to the ISO hunt website I posted, and click on "download torrent". It will either automatically open the program and start downloading, or it will appear on your desktop, and you just need to double click it.
__________________

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!




Reply With Quote
  #11  
November 23rd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hurley, WI
Posts: 8,572
Youtube can be a great resource as well. Don't be afraid to start googling for literature as well! You might be able to find stuff for free online.

I hope you can find the stuff you need. As a last resort it might not be a bad idea to sign up for the hospital classes. They do usually go over very basic non medicated pain relief options. The downside is you have to sit through all the other bS.

I know it seems daunting to do NCB, but I promise you its not as bad as some people make it out to be. I think we hear a lot of the horror stories (which is why I like this board, you hear the good stuff more often!) about how bad things are, when in reality the discomfort, fatigue, pain etc are all very temporary! I promise you that you can do this!
__________________
‎"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace."

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
Reply With Quote
  #12  
November 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fright View Post
I seem to have missed ALL of the classes in this area for NCB/Bradley/Hypnobabies. I actually didn't see anything for hypnobabies. Bradley classes, from what I understand are 12 weeks long. I've only got 8 weeks left. I've contacted a doula, and am contacting the other one in this area today. I really have no clue what I'm going to do if she doesn't contact me back, or if I can't afford her. I've always been insanely stubborn. I could always hope my being stubborn gets me through without pain medicine and hopefully other interventions. I've been doing reading. I got "Natural Childbirth, The Bradley Way" and "Ina May's Guide To Childbirth". I'm watching the Business of Being Born, tonight.

It looks like books, and hopefully this one doula are my only options. Can anyone recommend any other good books?
Those are the two books I had/have. I didn't take any classes or have a doula. I had a near successful natural birth w/ dd1 (I'll link the birth story when I find it), the failure was due to other things. The books are wonderful and I felt completely prepared for birth by just the Bradley book alone (and all the online research and women on JM).
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #13  
November 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Arachne
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks ladies.

Honestly, I feel prepared. I think I've got this down. I really, really feel like I can do this. Like I've got this down, and I'll be fine. Yet, then I tell myself I'm probably idealizing and not being realistic. I'm pushing myself to do more reading and looking into classes, because I feel like I should, because how can I be this calm about birth with only 8 weeks left?? So I rationalize that I MUST be idealizing, and I'm not going to be prepared and that is what I'm doing all of the reading for.

I feel like if I don't go in with MORE reading under my belt, then I just don't know what to expect, at all. Even though, through Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and you ladies here, I've learned so much, and I'm sitting there going "Mmhm, mmhm, yep. I know that." when I'm reading Natural Childbirth, The Bradley Method.

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
November 23rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fright View Post
Thanks ladies.

Honestly, I feel prepared. I think I've got this down. I really, really feel like I can do this. Like I've got this down, and I'll be fine. Yet, then I tell myself I'm probably idealizing and not being realistic. I'm pushing myself to do more reading and looking into classes, because I feel like I should, because how can I be this calm about birth with only 8 weeks left?? So I rationalize that I MUST be idealizing, and I'm not going to be prepared and that is what I'm doing all of the reading for.

I feel like if I don't go in with MORE reading under my belt, then I just don't know what to expect, at all. Even though, through Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and you ladies here, I've learned so much, and I'm sitting there going "Mmhm, mmhm, yep. I know that." when I'm reading Natural Childbirth, The Bradley Method.

Does that make sense?
I felt the exact same way with DD1. My labor was a freaking cake walk all the way to 9.5 cm, I'm NOT lying. I felt so ready and knowledgeable and right.... I was looking forward to birth and I had a blast
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #15  
November 24th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 0
Sounds like you're in an awesome place mentally! That's great! I *wish* my DH hadn't thrown out all my natural child birth handouts we got in our class or I'd copy and send them to you. (nearly killed him OM *F* G)
Honestly though - reading Ina May's Guide is probably the most important thing I did to prepare for child birth. And I had no problem going to tally natural. One of the things we did in the class was watch natural birth videos. If you can find some - even on youtube - watch then with DH. It's really important to get used to what a natural child birth looks like. You go into an altered state after about 5 cm - it's pretty trippy and could be disconcerting - esp for DH - if he doesn't know about it.
Anyway - Good Luck!
__________________

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
Reply With Quote
  #16  
November 24th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
Sounds like you're in an awesome place mentally! That's great! I *wish* my DH hadn't thrown out all my natural child birth handouts we got in our class or I'd copy and send them to you. (nearly killed him OM *F* G)
Honestly though - reading Ina May's Guide is probably the most important thing I did to prepare for child birth. And I had no problem going to tally natural. One of the things we did in the class was watch natural birth videos. If you can find some - even on youtube - watch then with DH. It's really important to get used to what a natural child birth looks like. You go into an altered state after about 5 cm - it's pretty trippy and could be disconcerting - esp for DH - if he doesn't know about it.
Anyway - Good Luck!
Yes indeed
__________________

Co-Host July 2014 DDC









Reply With Quote
  #17  
November 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 17,089
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
We took the class at the birth center and as a previous poster said, it was more for DH than me. It was nothing new to me. I had a doula and she was my birth assistant and really helped me when I needed it.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #18  
November 24th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobittyBoo View Post
You can maybe contact a Bradley instructor and ask for a fast track course. Usually child birth educators want to do as much as they can to help women achieve a NCB. So you can always ask!

Otherwise you are doing good with reading as much as you can.
Just what I was going to say! Most Bradley instructors I know of are more than happy to do a 3 or 4 week "crash course." It can't hurt to call around!
__________________

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0