Another Vent...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish there were more women who trusted thier bodies!

On another message board I'm on, a friend of mine ended up with an induction - one her due date because "baby isnt' here yet" I played nice, wished her luck, because I knew nothing I would say would change her mind. Well, the baby was born and she posted again to let us know. The baby was about 9.5lbs and she wrote (not an exact quote) "We are shocked that I didn't end up with a c-section, our jaws are still on the floor that I was able to have him vaginally" She is NOT a small women and there's no reason to think she couldn't give birth to a baby of any size. I just responded with something like "Our bodies are amazing, aren't they?" and left it at that.

Fast forward to just a few minutes ago. An old friend from high school is pregnant with her first. She just posted that if her baby "isn't here yet" they are inducing her 2 days BEFORE her due date! This time, I didn't hold my tongue, crap like that just drives me nuts! I responded "Really? I thought your due date was still a few days from that? Why would you want the baby to come earlier than he/she is ready?" I know, there's a little rudeness in there and I doubt it will make a difference, but I just couldnt' help saying something. Why do most women blindly follow thier doctors on stuff like this??

Why the heck have we lost all faith in our bodies? Women seem to think we all have to be induced if we dont' have our babies by our due date and that a "big" baby of 9lbs would never be able to come out vaginally.

Remind me I'm not alone in my feelings here! Sometimes I feel like the only person who feels this way.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

November 24th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Mom to 4 girls!!
You are not alone. I feel the same way. I don't get the mentality of some women and drs. Just because we can use drugs to induce, doesn't mean we should!
Quinn Olivia Born at home Jan.13th, 2011, 7:37 am 9 lbs. 12 oz

November 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those kind of situations annoy me to no end! Seriously! You've been pregnant for 3/4 of a year! What will a few more days hurt? Let your baby decide when he/she is ready to be brought into this world. Sheesh!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
November 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
Those kind of situations annoy me to no end! Seriously! You've been pregnant for 3/4 of a year! What will a few more days hurt? Let your baby decide when he/she is ready to be brought into this world. Sheesh!
I've totally been infected by FB. I was looking for the "like" button on this.

November 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Purple654's Avatar Rhett's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieQueen View Post
I've totally been infected by FB. I was looking for the "like" button on this.
I am always looking for a like button! hahahaha

Unless an induction is needed for a serious medical reason I don't really get them! I agree that you have been pregnant this long whats a few more days?

November 24th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't get it either. If there's a health reason, sure. I think there's a few valid non-medical reasons too, but very few of them.

To each their own, but I don't think I'd agree to that.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM
4seasons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Omg, elective inductions/sections like that drive me bonkers. People are so freakin' impatient and such control freaks. Due dates are estimates any way.

November 24th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To top it off, I had another friend on Facebook just post that at her appointment today, the baby was measuring a week and a half ahead so they are probably going to bump up her c-section date. Ugh!

With the way this stuff is bugging me tonight, you would think I was pregnant

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

November 25th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
sigh. hugs. I feel the same way!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 25th, 2010, 07:09 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
To top it off, I had another friend on Facebook just post that at her appointment today, the baby was measuring a week and a half ahead so they are probably going to bump up her c-section date. Ugh!

With the way this stuff is bugging me tonight, you would think I was pregnant
See now THIS one really bugs me! U/S in late pregnancy are not accurate and bumping up a section date by a week!!!

I bet her section date was before her due date anyway. Generally if you are planning a c/s they schedule them early because gawd forbid they go into labor! So bumping it up a week from that! You are just asking for problems!!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 25th, 2010, 12:04 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
OMG. I could not keep my mouth shut either. Ugh.

and to you other ladies

November 25th, 2010, 08:38 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh. I can't stand doctors who act like the due date is the expiry date. No the baby isn't here "yet".... typically it's not supposed to be with first timers! I just really don't understand why there's this overwhelming feeling like past 40 weeks it's "too long" when that's not even the average gestation.... and then what the word AVERAGE means!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
That stuff all drives me crazy too! Jeez, especially the scheduled c-section dates getting moved up. You're pretty much nullifying the chances of the baby experiencing any labor, which is SOOOOO good for them! Yeah, it's inconvenient for the hospital to have to leave space open for c-sections that aren't on the schedule, but why can't they operate more like a dentist office and leave space towards the end of the day for non-emergency-my-labor-started c-sections?

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 27th, 2010, 10:34 AM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaeph View Post
That stuff all drives me crazy too! Jeez, especially the scheduled c-section dates getting moved up. You're pretty much nullifying the chances of the baby experiencing any labor, which is SOOOOO good for them! Yeah, it's inconvenient for the hospital to have to leave space open for c-sections that aren't on the schedule, but why can't they operate more like a dentist office and leave space towards the end of the day for non-emergency-my-labor-started c-sections?
Because if they did that, OBs would have to wait around and miss dinner, or God forbid, they might miss the 5 o'clock news!

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
November 27th, 2010, 11:14 AM
foxfire_ga79
I've had inductions for various reasons so I'm not going to go into a long spiel about it, but maybe I can give a little insight for why people don't trust their bodies....

I *should* have been able to trust my eyes to see correctly, but they didn't. I needed glasses and then finally got lasik surgery. I *should* be able to trust my body to properly digest my food and distribute the nutrients, but I can't. I'm always dealing with my blood sugar suddenly dropping because my insulin doesn't regulate itself and sometimes spikes.
Our bodies are not infallible. Things go wrong.
I do agree that in maternity care things have gone WAY too far in not trusting our bodies, but I'm also not going to obliviously say "I trust my body" and leave it at that. MY body has proven to me that it's not trustworthy.
November 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
You're not alone, all that stuff drives me nuts too. It's my body, my health, my baby, my babies health and one of the most traumatic (in a good way) things we women do in life so why women don't take charge themselves and allow Dr.'s who are like robots do everything for them is beyond me.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 27th, 2010, 04:47 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I've had inductions for various reasons so I'm not going to go into a long spiel about it, but maybe I can give a little insight for why people don't trust their bodies....

I *should* have been able to trust my eyes to see correctly, but they didn't. I needed glasses and then finally got lasik surgery. I *should* be able to trust my body to properly digest my food and distribute the nutrients, but I can't. I'm always dealing with my blood sugar suddenly dropping because my insulin doesn't regulate itself and sometimes spikes.
Our bodies are not infallible. Things go wrong.
I do agree that in maternity care things have gone WAY too far in not trusting our bodies, but I'm also not going to obliviously say "I trust my body" and leave it at that. MY body has proven to me that it's not trustworthy.
But you waited until your body proved untrustworthy. No one here will ever say absolutely no inductions or c-sections are needed. When necessary, they are awesome and life-saving advances. But to be induced just because you are 'close enough' to you EDD when baby shows absolutely no sign of being safer on the outside than the inside is unnecessary and can be detrimental. *That* is what bugs us here. And statistically, most c/s happen between 4:30 and 6 pm, especially on Fridays. There is no way that most women's bodies suddenly break in that magic hour and a half everyday. We just believe that women aren't as incapable as they are brainwashed into believing.

November 27th, 2010, 05:11 PM
foxfire_ga79
True, I didn't wear glasses until we found out I needed them.
And I definitely agree that the rate of medical interventions for labor is WAAAYYY too high. Things need to change.
November 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This annoys me too. Usually I just bit my tongue, but when a woman is going on about things her Doctor tells her I usually have to step in (it is my job after all). Majority of women's bodies are capable of giving birth with no problems, or minor problems. Soemtimes things will go wrong, but not as much as they do these days. If you start your labor off with an intervention, it's most likely not going to be that great and it will most likely need more interventions. I wish Doctors would shape up and learn about the body and help women be confident that they can birth their babies without inducing them, or anything like that, and that if something goes wrong then they'll be confident that their Doctor will be doing what he/she can to keep them safe. As of right now, I do not feel confident or safe with a OBGYN for my labor and birth, as they just don't seem to understand phsyiological birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search