worried about energy for labor

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Super Mommy
I posted this in my DDC, but I wanted some input from those of you here in the NCB center I feel kind of silly posting this after reading the post about trusting our bodies, but I just need some reassurance given that this is my first baby and I am not sure if what I am experiencing is normal.

Today I went for a walk. I haven't been as good at going on my daily walks since it has been cold. I have noticed that over the months I have gotten MUCH slower. I also ache in places I never used to ache, or haven't ached for a long time. I assume it is because my belly is bigger so I walk differently. However, what I was thinking about today was whether I would have the energy to go through a labor and push out a baby. I don't seem to have any energy right now and I feel swollen and stiff most of the time. People say giving birth is like running a marathon, well how am I supposed to do anything close to marathon proportions during labor when just walking up my stairs makes me tired and out of breath.

I have gained about 16 pounds so far, which my doctor says is within the normal limit, but I worry that gaining the 25 she recommends will put me in even more of a disadvantage. How am I going to do this? Should I exercise more or do more varieties of exercising to prepare myself? I just want to make sure I am as prepared as I can be.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
November 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
Just try to be a little active each day. I think if you lay around all day, then certainly the rigors of labor are going to be tougher on you. It's hard though when you feel like a mammoth/whale/etc and you just want to sit. Make sure you're eating good too, getting enough nutrients/calories/iron/etc.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that when it comes time for the labor and birth you just kind of get that burst of energy that you need. I know that I'm always really drained and don't have a lot of energy for exercise, etc., but I think that labor is different. You don't have a choice to get through it or not, like you do exercise, and you have something to focus on. I've been really good about walking several times a week, but it's hard! For me, it's still pretty warm here and with my back injury, the last thing I feel like doing sometimes is walking, but I try to keep it up. My midwife said as long as you're getting some sort of physical activity, it doesn't have to be a lot.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For me, adrenaline was a big part of the picture. Its also something where you're at least going to have DH, a parent, a friend or a doula there encouraging you as you go.

Its also not constant full on labor where your body is being pushed to the absolute limit the entire time. For me, that didn't start until I was put on pitocin.. but before that I was having contractions and could barely tell they were there. They were like intense BH contractions, but not bad.

Its also probable that you'll eat at least a little and drink during labor, that will help!

I do agree with what Isaeph said. Try to be a little bit active every day. I'm a firm believer that if you're idle all the time its harder to gather up energy.. where as if you're active, its not as difficult to muster energy.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
ditto the adrenaline.

I was on bedrest for nearly half of my pregnancy. I was taken off at 38 weeks, and started walking to try to get in shape, but went into labor at 39 weeks and was not in shape. However, I made it through a 30+ hour and didn't gas until the last couple hours. I felt like i had tons of energy for the most part.

November 26th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Super Mommy
thanks for your encouragement everyone

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
November 26th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
you totally do get a burst of energy. (i went nutty cleaning the house, sewing and doing laundry - and still had plenty left for labour - oh and I was up 2 night is a row in labour - and felt fine LOL)
DO eat well and exercise some. but you are designed for this! don't worry!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 27th, 2010, 05:40 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Exercising is good for pregnancy, labor and birth. But you don't want to try to lose weight or to not put weight on. Your body should gain the amount it needs, and a Doctor and books can't tell you what is right for you. I'm a short and petite girl, but with both my pregnancies I gained over 40 lbs.

During labor I had a lot of energy, I went on a ton of walks and did squats. There were times when I rested, but for the most part I was on my feet and moving. Eating foods like yogurt and peanut butter during labor can help get energy as well.
November 27th, 2010, 08:20 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
You'll get the energy when you need it. Just make sure you eat something so you don't get low blood sugar or anything.

November 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Exercising is good for pregnancy, labor and birth. But you don't want to try to lose weight or to not put weight on. Your body should gain the amount it needs, and a Doctor and books can't tell you what is right for you.
Ditto!

When you're in labor, your body has it's own natural way to keep you going. However, that's not to say you can't/won't get worn out during labor. Each one is different, or at least can be. With Kailey labor was a breeze, I was 9.5 cm and didn't feel like I was in labor, just having strong braxton hicks, I had plenty of energy, smiling, laughing... the adrenaline thing like what the other girls are saying. With Nola I was freaking exhausted, but I was in early labor for 24hrs w/ barely any sleep too. I couldn't keep my eyes open at the very end and right as Dh was getting me a spoonful of honey for energy (and spilt it all over his hand) I pushed Nola out and he's running to get to me to catch the baby and he has honey everywhere and it was hilarious and one big mess. But, I was EXHAUSTED. I ate probably 12dozen scrambled eggs my MW made about 20min after I gave birth. I've never been so exhausted in my life.

EAT/DRINK - some recommendations
Gatorade
Honey
What to Drink During Labor: Safe Liquids for Childbirth to Prevent Dehydration and Ketosis
another good list:
Good Foods to Eat in Labor Talk Birth

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search