would this require a c-section?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
My SIL was talking today about her previous pregnancy (she is pregnant again and due in 3 weeks) she said that she carried her baby really high and her daughter got "caught in her ribs" and that is why she had to have a c-section. I just kept thinking, there is a uterus and placenta between you and your ribs, not to mention fluid, there is no way that your baby got caught on your ribs. Please tell me I am not dumb, and that this is not a valid reason to have a c-section.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
November 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
foxfire_ga79
Not that I'm a professional, but I've never heard of it before. For what it's worth.
November 27th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No way. It could be she misunderstood, or the doctor tried to tell her something in layman's terms and ended up being more confusing. I guarantee you her surgical report doesn't say "caught in ribs." My best guess would be failure to descend.

November 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never heard of it, and the baby can't get caught in the ribs. It might be failure to decend or dialate, but even that isn't always a reason for a c-section because who decides how much time the baby/body needed? She can request her papers from the office at the hospital and see what it says. The Doctor can't put a BS reason on it like caught in the ribs since that doesn't happen.
November 27th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Super Mommy
I think my SIL just likes drama so she is willing to go with whatever measure will get her the most drama, not caring what the reason was, or just making up her own reason.

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
November 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe she was just looking for a reason to justify having a c-section. Clearly not a good reason, or one that's even possible....but it sounds like she was grasping at straws to make it sound medically necessary!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
My only thought would be a really high floating baby that never descended in time for an induction or picked out date or something. Not a true medical emergency that caused a need for a c/s.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
November 28th, 2010, 08:21 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaeph View Post
My only thought would be a really high floating baby that never descended in time for an induction or picked out date or something. Not a true medical emergency that caused a need for a c/s.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Doesn't really sound like it, but it might just be how doc explained it to her.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Some babies can drop while you're even in labor.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me it sounds like the baby failed to descend. Which in turn caused her to have a c-section.
Just because it happened with her last pregnancy, doesn't mean it will happen with this one.
November 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's a funny one.

she better be careful if she uses tampons - imagine one of those 'stuck to her ribs'. DOes she eat peanut butter too often during pregnancy?
Sorry. I'm bad. I agree with the others though - sounds like the baby didn't descend as fast as the doc wanted.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search