Your Reasons For NCB?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM
foxfire_ga79
If it's not too personal a question, can I ask what are all your reasons for wanting NCB's?
I know there are lots of different reasons, that's why I'm curious. I'd love to know how different people come to the same conclusion.
November 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is safest for the baby and myself with a much lower risk of interventions and complications.

I hate needles. They seriously make me have a mental breakdown. I know now from experience that I *CAN* handle an epidural/spinal and not give a crap about the giant needle in my back, but that that point only comes well past my last reserves of strength (like 9 hours of pushing).

November 28th, 2010, 07:59 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a sensative stomach, and a chemical imbalance, so I've never done good with any type of medication. I knew when I got pregnant with Hunter that I didn't want any medications because of the way it would make me feel. But after close to 20 hours of labor, not being able to get out of bed, being on Pitocin (I wasn't induced), no food or water, and the nurse asking me every 5 minutes if I wanted something, I finally broke down and said yes. My main reason was because of the restrictions I was getting a really bad stomachache. I took the Nubain which made it 10 times worse, then I took the Epidural to counteract the Nubain.

The Epidural left me very disconnected, my son wasn't breathing at birth and slept for the first 3 days straight, wouldn't latch on, and almost 4 years later I still have back pain at the injection site. When I became pregnant with Liev I decided to have a homebirth because there was no way I could give birth the way I did the first time. There were so many problems that happened because of the Epidural and because of the Doctor that I just couldn't do it again. Luckily I had an amazing homebirth.
November 28th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My initial reason to try for a NCB was because I had labored naturally with my first (getting an epi at 10cm) and I thought "if I did it once, I can do it again". I knew I wouldn't have a chance in a hospital so I decided to look into a home birth or birth center. My views and opinions changed a lot over that pregnancy though and by the end, I had a whole new set of reasons. The main one being that it was safests for both me and my baby.

Expecting baby #4!

November 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a strong belief that my body was meant to do this, I've never really trusted the medical establishment to always make the best choices for me. I feel it is safer and offers a better outcome for baby and me. I also think that with a natural childbirth I will have a stronger spiritual connection to the God and Goddess..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
November 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom had NCBs. My dad is a veterinarian (radiologist professor at a big hospital) - and sees how dangerous medical intervention is on a daily basis. The taught me to avoid messing with nature as much as possible. I also educated myself and feel it's best for baby, safest and helps bonding. I also think it just really isn't that hard LOL!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
November 29th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've known for years (long before I was ever thinking about getting pregnant) that because of a back injury I could not have an epidural. Once we started talking about having kids....three years ago, I started doing research and quickly realized that NCB was the way to go, and that even if I could have an epidural, I didn't want one. It's so much safer and less invasive for me and baby if we don't have the extra medications or limitations associated with an epidural or even narcotics or other pain medications.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I was terrified of the complications that could possibly rise from an epidural. More than anything, i wanted to avoid THAT. I also wanted the best possible chance of a vaginal delivery. My mother did it 4 times. I wanted to as well.

November 29th, 2010, 08:02 AM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Initially my reasons were because of fewer risks to mom and baby, fewer complications, and less need for interventions.

Now that I've actually had an NCB, I can tell you my reasons for wanting to do it again include better initially bonding with baby, better breastfeeding results, and quicker, easier recovery time. But shhhhh, don't tell my hubby that I recover faster and better - I like to milk it a little and get pampered!

November 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
noworries
The reason I first started to look into it was because my cousin had a horrific experience with an epidural and I was terrified of something like that happening to me. The more I looked into it, the more I learned that it is the safest for me and for baby.
November 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom had NCB's and when I got pregnant with my first baby, my DD Kaily, she really encouraged me to go natural and recommended Bradley classes. I was just raised with the notion of natural child birth, so it never struck me as a big decision to make, I was just going to do it. After my mom went through Bradley classes her SIL, took them as well. She became an intructor. Her 3rd, 4th and 5th children were born at home, so the idea of home birth has always been around too.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
November 29th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
I have a strong belief that my body was meant to do this, I've never really trusted the medical establishment to always make the best choices for me. I feel it is safer and offers a better outcome for baby and me. I also think that with a natural childbirth I will have a stronger spiritual connection to the God and Goddess..
100% ditto

It wasn't really a question for me. We're a pretty natural family so it's just second nature to do things "like normal" of how my body is meant to do it.

As for the medical side, the medical establishment scares the crap out of me in regards to pregnancy, birth and for about 95% of health things in general.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think what triggered looking into it (many years ago) was a fear of an epidural. Plus I wanted to do everything I could to avoid a c-section. The more I read, the more it made sense to do a NCB and let my body do what it's supposed to do. By the time I was pregnant I felt very earth-mothery, I loved pregnancy and natural birth just seemed like the right thing for me and the baby.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
November 29th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Arachne
Because I feel it's best for baby, and myself. I don't handle medicine well. It doesn't take much to knock me out, and I get funky side effects, sometimes. Because I've heard the recovery time is much quicker after an NCB. Because I HATE needles (despite the fact that I have tattoos), and I don't want a giant needle going in my spine. Doctors and anesthesiologists are human, they're not Gods. They make errors too, and I'd rather NOT deal with a possible "oops" when it comes to my spine, ya know?

I hear babies are so much more alert, aware, awake, that breastfeeding comes easier, when you don't have medicine/epidural.
November 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I wanted a NCB almost purely out of stubbornness. I wanted to prove that I could do it and that my body could do it and I didnt need any drugs to get through the pain that was supposed to happen. My rational was pretty much "If women all over the world for thousands of years have done this then I know I can do it too." I kept an open mind about if there were some emergency then I would be fine changing my plan but I wasnt going to let just the pain change it. I knew I could take the pain and I wasnt about change my mind about that. haha
November 29th, 2010, 04:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallisti View Post
I wanted a NCB almost purely out of stubbornness. I wanted to prove that I could do it and that my body could do it and I didnt need any drugs to get through the pain that was supposed to happen.
That's exactly what interested me about NCB. The more I read about interventions the more I knew that NCB was the healthiest way to go.
November 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Arachne
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallisti View Post
I wanted a NCB almost purely out of stubbornness. I wanted to prove that I could do it and that my body could do it and I didnt need any drugs to get through the pain that was supposed to happen. My rational was pretty much "If women all over the world for thousands of years have done this then I know I can do it too." I kept an open mind about if there were some emergency then I would be fine changing my plan but I wasnt going to let just the pain change it. I knew I could take the pain and I wasnt about change my mind about that. haha
Bolded part... that's pretty much what is going to get me through a NCB, I think. I'll have to defy everyone who's telling me I'll WANT the epidural, I'd better get it, blah, blah... and to prove to my husband I CAN do it, 'cus, he's on the epidural bandwagon.

I may not get a gold star for NCB from anyone else... but I'll give myself one. Because it's a huge accomplishment, to me.

And I can make a snippy comment to my husband's ex about how I delivered naturally... That's just me being mean, though.
November 29th, 2010, 04:50 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
The Marines have a saying: "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

This is pain with a purpose. Like working out, there are tangible goals (healthy baby, healthy mother) that I am aspiring to. I don't want the low APGAR scores. I don't want the trouble breastfeeding. What I DO want is to know that I worked my tail off to keep drugs out of my child's system, AND out of mine.

But there's another reason, and I can't pretend that it doesn't color my opinion on every bit of medical care I receive.

My Aunt died from lung problems. The hospitals said it wasn't pneumonia, it wasn't cancer, it wasn't anything that they knew about. It was 100% mystery to them. My uncle had his leg amputated just below the knee because of hospital neglect. He had arthritis and was in the hospital. The nurses didn't turn him, and he got bedsores. The bedsores became gangrenous, and they needed to amputate. My Grandmother had surgery on her hip. She was well on her way to recovery when she became infected while in the hospital. An otherwise healthy woman, she passed away when the infection spread throughout her body. She would have made a full recovery if not for the hospital-created infection. My other grandmother died due to hospital negligence. My sisters' mother had a botched surgery that nearly killed her.

I could go on to list the number of horrible things that doctors and hospitals have done to my family.

Why would I let these animals anywhere near by baby if my baby were otherwise healthy? I can't do it.

As far as medication goes, I had a terrible ex-boyfriend. When I would complain about headaches, he'd go and get me "Tylenol". Turns out he was giving me Tylenol with CODEINE. That's right. I was being drugged with narcotics against my will. God forbid I got into a car while screwed up on the codeine and got into an accident. Codeine knocks me out cold for a long time. I have been terrified of what he did to me while I was in a drugged out sleep.

I will not give a doctor an open port to medicate me without my permission. I have heard too many times of nurses coming in an adding pitocin to IV bags without the patient's consent. I've heard of Nubain being put into IV bags without permission. And these aren't one-off stories... I've heard it too much. I have a friend who was only saved from getting medicine that SHE WAS ALLERGIC TO when her Doula said, "What are you putting in that bag? Her doctor didn't order any drugs!" "Oh, just Demerol." "SHE'S ALLERGIC TO DEMEROL, LOOK AT HER CHART!"

I won't be a guinea pig. I won't be someone's dinner-table, "I saved some poor woman!" story. I won't be punishing my child with drugs because I, her MOTHER, was too weak to bare it out for HER.

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
November 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I have some religious reasons mainly revolving around my body was made to do this. I think that in normal circumstances, interventions are unnecessary and I also wanted to just know what it was like.

Now that I have done it, I realize it was not "painful" like everyone told me. Just intense. Now, I do not know what I was so scared of, and why so many people get epidurals. I have realized what a big role that fear plays in the aspect of pain in childbirth. I have no problem have NCB for any more children that I might have.

November 29th, 2010, 07:38 PM
foxfire_ga79
Well hopefully your ladies' strength will rub off on me between now and go time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search