Perineal Massage

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you do it? If so, did you still tear? This came up in my birth class, and they suggested that DH do it starting at 36 weeks. Of course he's completely freaked out by the idea, and I'm not entirely sure I want him to!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do it, and I didn't tear along my perineum. my tear was along my labia. (Small, one stitch that was questionably necessary) but I might do it this time - to myself, I wouldn't want Sam rubbing that....idk, just not my cup of tea!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 30th, 2010, 02:25 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i also gave birth on my back, but I *think* my CNM did perineal support - and she guided me really well.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
November 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did, and like ChicaChels I didn't had tears, but not on my perineum.

I don't know that it actually helped, I think the counter-pressure is probably more responsible.

November 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Arachne
I'm doing it now. I'm 33 weeks. I make my husband do it 3 - 4 times each week... he's such a jerk. "Well, you don't really need it..." and I'm like "What!!? That isn't nice!" and he's like "Well, I think you don't, the muscle is pretty stretchy..." and I'm all "How about you just shut up, and rub?"

That said, it burns, and stings when he does it. So, I guess hopefully it's working. Maybe I'll get used to the burning and stinging, so it won't bother me when baby is on his way out.
November 30th, 2010, 03:15 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't do it and I probably wouldn't. I thought I heard somewhere that it might cause tearing where you don't do it.

I only tore a tiny bit at the very end. It healed up pretty fast and was never uncomfortable.

November 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a 2nd degree tear with my first, no perineal support. So I had DH do it with my second and no tears. Studies have shown that it has an effect on a small number of women, and won't do much for the majority. But I still did it anyways. I gave birth standing and DH did perineal support during that too.
November 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I had a 2nd degree tear with my first, no perineal support. So I had DH do it with my second and no tears. Studies have shown that it has an effect on a small number of women, and won't do much for the majority. But I still did it anyways. I gave birth standing and DH did perineal support during that too.
That's interesting. Thanks!

November 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
we didn't do it. The only tear I had was with my second birth and it was tiny enough that I didn't need any stitches

I think laboring/birthing in the water helped a LOT with that though.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 30th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With DS I had an episiotomy. It was back when they were more of a norm. The nurse in the delivery room stretched me out with DD and I didn't tear at all. With my surrobaby my contractions stopped while he was crowning so his head slowly stretched me out and I had no tearing. This time I plan on doing the perineum massages and hopefully I wont tear again.

November 30th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post

I think laboring/birthing in the water helped a LOT with that though.
That's my plan, and I know the midwife does support the perineum as well. I guess I was more worried about what happens if I don't end up with a water birth. I just don't know that DH can handle it, and if he can do it, he'd probably end up making smart comments and piss me off!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
November 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do massage prior to birth.. but a nurse did perineal massage and support during the delivery. I delivered on my back and did not have any perineal tears, but did tear along the labia. I tore in 3 places actually, one on each side, one at the top. They were pretty minor though and healed fast.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
November 30th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Cherished1's Avatar On an extended babymoon
we did it once and I found it really uncomfortable and dh didn't like doing it as he felt he was hurting me. We looked into a few contraptions that do the stretching for you and we asked a few midwives and our OB. Some say it's a good thing to do but our OB said that if you are going to tear than you will, he said it's the same as some woman are prone to stretch marks and others aren't. We also researched it heaps on Dr. Google and found that there is no real evidence to support doing it. In the end we chose not to do it and I didn't have any stitches and I healed quickly. I had a water birth so apparently that reduced the severity of any tears anyway.

Our Amazing Water Birth Story
November 30th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do it. I tore a little - but I didn't get any stitches. It wasn't bad. I delivered on my side/back, and I pushed her out fast (13 min) and she came out all at once! (and I was trying to go slow. I think being able to feel what you are doing makes a big difference.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 1st, 2010, 05:23 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do it. That said, I did tear with each birth but I don't think it was the lack of massage, lol

Cassidy was posterior (face up) and it took me 3 hours to push her out, and despite the midwife's perineal support and massage with warm olive oil, I tore.

Joel Peter was a very easy delivery and I was in the tub for a couple of hours before his birth, but he was almost 10 pounds and I tore just a tiny bit. I don't think she even stitched me.

I think proper support during delivery and the warm oil is the best, even better than prior massage can be. We are not allowed to deliver in the water here, but I stayed in the tub until just before delivery, so my skin was all warm and stretchy, and that undoubtedly helped.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search