Bradley Reborn/Brio

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I've been wanting to ask for awhile, but was hesitant with all the drama centered around it...but has anyone been following the Bradley Reborn (now called Brio) movement? They are supposed to go to court this Friday (The hathaways of The Bradley Method are suing Brio)

what are your thoughts on this? Is anyone going to become an instructor?

briobirth.com is their website

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 8th, 2010, 06:55 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had never even heard of it but now I'm interested. I just sort of glanced at the website but it seemed geared more towards instructors. Can you tell me how Brio is different from Bradley? What is the lawsuit all about?

December 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM
The lawsuit is because they are using Dr. Bradley's name - which the hathaways have trademarked. (Which is why the group is called Brio now, instead of Bradley Reborn)

Basically it's a more updated version of the Bradley Method, and there is more freedom for the instructors. (If you're a AAHCC instructor you cannot advertise yourself as a doula, lactation consultant, or anything else. The rules are strict (but a lot of instructors fly under the radar anyway)

Here's their post about their "inspiration" to form this group. I am planning on going Brio once the drama settles - I think it's a much better organization.

Brio Birth: Inspiration for our work

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
December 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... I've never heard of this either. Sounds interesting! Research time!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
January 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM

Last edited by avocadobaby; February 18th, 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: deleting comment
January 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
After 22 years of teaching Bradley, I too am switching to Brio Birth, I am so excited about updated materials, leadership that listens and cares and most of all. . . helping families give birth!
January 1st, 2011, 10:11 PM
are you going to the training in colorado, mom and avocado?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 1st, 2011, 10:37 PM
I think we are both going to Anaheim.
January 2nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
oh nice..my doula (she is also one of my best friends) is going to the training in colorado and leaves tuesday..she's excited.

i only just did my aahcc training and am waiting to get my okay to do provisional teaching...i think ill certify with aahcc this year and see what happens with the brio movement next year and then decide.

the stuff that i heard about what went on in court from the brio side kind of dissuades me (one of my friends went to the hearing)

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 2nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
Do you know that the Bradley daugthers are in total support of Brio Birth? I can tell you from my 22 years of experience with the AAHCC, that I disliked how it was run from the get go. The teachers are the ones who made it the small success that it is.
January 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
oh yes, i know they are supporting it. im worried brio will fall apart due to the fact that they have like no money though.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have been following the drama of Brio vs. TBM and have concern about Brio. There are a bunch of people missing from their current leadership/member list that were VP's when they were Bradley Reborn. I don't think they are very stable if people are dropping like flies.
January 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I agree, bunny...I'm also concerned about the way Kyle was treating the Bradley daughters in court...I heard an audio of it. Not impressed at all

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 6th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Oooohhh... how did you hear an audio of the hearing. I would love to listen to it.
January 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I don't know about the audio, but the letter I read from Dr. Bradley's daughters was in complete support of Brio and quite complimentary toward Kyle and his wife, Naomi, and this was after the trial.

Also, it is my understanding that some have left positions at Brio over concern about the possibility of being named in lawsuits by the Hathaways and wanting to protect their families from the stress and legal fees that would entail. This doesn't mean they think that Brio Birth is out of line in what they're doing, only that they didn't sign up for that kind of stress.
January 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Are you sure you are talking about Kyle and not the Hathaways attorneys? I have heard from the daughters themselves and say that Kyle and Naomi were wonderful to them.
January 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I imagine the potential for getting sued would scare off a lot of people. All the more reason Brio should have treaded more carefully to avoid getting sued in the first place.

I have read through the judge's summary and the lawsuit is more than just the use of the Bradley name. There is the part about "INTENTIONAL INTERFERENCE WITH EXISTING AND PROSPECTIVE
BUSINESS ADVANTAGE". I wish there was more detail on these proceedings, but the summary is available to read if one searches google for American Academy of Husband Coached Childbirth v. Thomas et al.

As much as I think the AAHCC is archaic and doomed, it sure doesn't seem like Brio has what it takes to be viable either. I am not giving my hard earned money to Brio with all of the uncertainty and drama.

Last edited by bunnybythesea; January 6th, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
January 6th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybythesea View Post
Oooohhh... how did you hear an audio of the hearing. I would love to listen to it.
my friend went to the hearing and recorded it on the phone in the hallway of the court house

yeah, im not going to invest in Brio at this point. i was planning on it until my friend came back from the trial (she is still Brio and is currently at the training in CO) but I Just dont feel confident enough in them yet to make the switch

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
January 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I have the letter, I had contact with the Bradley daughters, and what you say happened did not. They were very upset with the other sides lawyers and some other things from the other side.

Anyway, I have gotten more support and learned more from the people at Brio than I did the whole time with the AAHCC. I hope in the end we all continue to reach out to families and help them in this journey.
January 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Just to chime in, there are a ton of questions about BR/Brio that make me very uneasy. If you have access to a pacer.gov account you can read a lot of the documents from the lawsuit proceedings and according to the judge's ruling at the hearing, Brio folks did a lot of illegal stuff, and that AAHCC has demonstrated "a substantial likelihood of success" toward proving 7 of their 8 counts. It's entirely possible that the whole thing will be shut down as a result of the lawsuit. I would also seriously question the mass exodus of leaders from the original group. Perhaps it could be legal fears, but a lot of them left before there was any legal drama. Perhaps there were "personality conflicts," but that's a whole lot of personality. Does anyone know how many of the original 12 are still on board? Has anyone asked some of the people who have left why? Kyle Thomas was on record at the hearing as making a lot of threats toward the Hathaways and their business. Granted, the AAHCC is nothing to get overly excited about, but that's no excuse for some of the extremely questionable behavior from Brio. Something tells me there is a lot of shoddy stuff going on behind the curtain that Brio and the Thomases don't want to be public knowledge. Just an impression, for what it's worth. My advice to those who have reservations and red flags: trust them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search