Evening Primrose Oil

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was at the grocery store the other night I saw they were clearing out some EPO so I took it as a sign and bought it. What is the dosage for internally? When do I start it? Is this something I should wait until after my due date to use or is it a primer like the red raspberry leaf tea?
TIA

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
December 18th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I start using it at 36/37wks. I believe I start w/ 1 500mg capsule and at 38/39wks move up to 1,000.

Make sure you know if your capsules are 250mg each or 500mg (you don't want to use too many! lol).

Some people don't notice a change w/ EPO but I swear by them. With Kailey I'd put a pad on at night, lay down, sterilize a needle, poke a hole in each capsule and insert them as far as I could get them. About 10-15min later I'd start getting contrax/BHs each night.

You can also break them open and use them as lubrication for intercourse

Same thing happened w/ Nola too when using them.

Oh, I just realized maybe you're thinking of taking them like regular pills? I'm talking about inserting them in the vagina. It helps ripen the cervix and loosen things up

Very good to use for perineal massage as well or AKA 4-play w/ DH

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 18th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My MW recommends 1000 mg I believe. She just okeyed me to use it started at 35 weeks. I'm doing 1 pill orally right now, and will start them vaginally around 37 weeks. The pills I got were 1300 mg but she says it's not a problem.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

December 18th, 2010, 08:10 PM
^ With Nola my MW suggested doing it orally if I didn't want to do it vaginally. I tried it orally and I never noticed a difference. Every time I'd do it vaginally though I'd start getting the BH's/Contrax so I just kept doing it vaginally. I wish it'd work orally on me, much less messy

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started at 34w with Brylie...500mg vaginally, at 35w I went to 1000mg vaginally, and at 36w I started 1000mg orally and 1000mg vaginally.....at 37w (when I was induced for pre-e) I was not even like 1% effaced! So they didn't do much for me. I'll probably do the same course this time, just in hopes that my cervix will cooperate a little more

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
December 18th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I took 1000mg daily starting at 35 weeks with Avery, then at 38 weeks I started inserting the same dosage vaginally. I was 4cm dilated at 39 weeks (now, I walked around like that for 9 days before she was born ). I had a very quick labor with her. It took about 3 hours of hard labor to get to 5cm & then I went from 5 to 10 in around 30 mins. I don't know if it was the EPO or the fact that she was my 2nd, but I'd certainly do it again.
December 18th, 2010, 09:23 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for asking....i was wondering this as well.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
December 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for all your answers! I figure it can't hurt so why not..

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
December 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
HeatherLyn429's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to HeatherLyn429
Thaks for sharing....do you guys take them orally & insert them? Or is it one or the other?
and introducing my new baby princess Penelope Kate born 3/18/14 5:35am 9lbs 5oz 22"
December 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM
You can do one or the other or even both

I personally didn't find taking them orally to do anything, but every night after I inserted them I'd start having strong BHs.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 19th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my 1st I did not take any and never dialated to more than 1cm until I went into labor. This past time I took EPO orally (1000) starting at about 36 weeks and I was running around at 6cm by 39 weeks. I do not know if it was the EPO or something else but I would definitely take it again.

December 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I started at 34 weeks taking 3000mg orally at 38 weeks I went to 4000mg orally...

My water broke at 38 weeks, the same day I increased my dose. I was 1cm and 70% effaced when I went into the hospital, I believe it helped... and I will do it again for the next pregnancies...
December 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I took 1000mg orally starting at 36 weeks. By 39.5 weeks I was 4cm dilated at 90% effaced and went into labor that night. I definitely think it helped
December 20th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandertramp View Post
With my 1st I did not take any and never dialated to more than 1cm until I went into labor. This past time I took EPO orally (1000) starting at about 36 weeks and I was running around at 6cm by 39 weeks. I do not know if it was the EPO or something else but I would definitely take it again.
6cm?! wow!! lol

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search