Why did you choose NCB?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
** This question is not ment to cause debate This is just to see ever ones reasons.. if they have one. **

I ask this since I have my own "beliefs" (and this is only my own thoughts) on why I choose and fought for NCB

I had my son pretty "Natural" 20 years ago.. My son never dropped so they had to use the vacume extractor, and they gave me a dose of Demerol while they used the extractor.

20 years ago they didn't "push" epidorals like they do today.. IMO they push them for Patient satisfaction... a happy birthing lady will tell everyone how GREAT the hospital was, how GREAT the Dr was, THE GREAT nurses.. blah blah blah... AND we all know the best advertisement is word of mouth!

I also feel.. again IMO.... over the past 20 years they have increased epidurals.. thier has also been an increase in autisim. I feel IMO maybe thier is a conection. I think it is the LONG labors that have an epidural (the ones that give time for the meds to cross the placenta)...

This was a BIG part of why I wanted NCB.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
December 29th, 2010, 09:44 PM
KristenV's Avatar Veteran
I'm new, but I thought I would jump right in....

I have always had a fear of the thought of a needle in my spine (having blood drawn is fine though, it's not all needles). The more I researched it, the more it seemed like it is the best thing for me and my baby. I have 9 months to make it through before I can attempt it though

Thank you AlexAiden Mommy for my siggy!

December 29th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I do it because it's what our bodies do. I'm very au-natural in that sense and I like to do things the way nature intended - it seems most sensible and practical.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 29th, 2010, 11:03 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My mom did it 8 times, so I knew I could, too. I also try to avoid medications unless absolutely necessary, especially during pregnancy. Why would I go 9 mos avoiding medications only to pump my body and baby full of them when I finally get to the finish line? Also, after the first birth I felt so empowered and elated that I knew I wanted to feel that way again. I also met a woman who went into a coma for 2 weeks after her epidural and missed out on the first 2 weeks of her baby's life. So rare, but still not a risk that I was comfortable with.

December 30th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
First - FYI Kary - your siggie makes me tear up! I am so happy for you! Your girls are gorgeous!
Anyway - my mom had a NCB with both my brother and I, and said it wasn't bad! I knew I wanted midwives and as a did research I realized that having a baby a home with midwives was the safest possible birth option (for a low risk pregnancy!).
I wanted to have all the proper hormone systems for breathing, birthing and bonding to be working. And I wanted to feel the natural 'high' you get from a NCB. I also think it's unfair to take pain killers that don't help baby. (like getting an epidural and pitocin seems really mean to baby - however I can see getting an epidural so you can sleep for a bit during a really long labour - kwim?)
I could probably go on forever LOL. Anyway - it's because I think it's the safest thing for baby and mom and feels best in the end.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 30th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I first considered a natural birth, after having Abigail, I wanted one because I had (almost) done it once, and knew I could do it again. Of course, I knew that avoiding medications during labor was best, but I hadn't researched much beyond that. After I made that decision though and got pregnant with my 2nd daughter, I started doing research and my reasons changed. I realized it's better for both MY and my child's health. I wanted to avoid interventions that lead to more interventions.

I also began to have a more natural mindset about parenting and raising my children, such as choosing breastfeeding, cloth diapering, not vaccinating, etc. The more I thought about childbirth, the more I realized that it's a natural process that doesn't need intervention in most normal situations.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

December 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been told for years (long before I even started thinking about having kids) that I couldn't have an epidural because of my back injury from a car accident. Once I got the point of thing about having children I started researching NCB. The more I read, the more I knew it was the best option for me, whether I could have an epidural or not. The more research I did, the more I knew that I wanted a waterbirth and that a freestanding birth center was the best option.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
December 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
I had always thought I would be first in line to get an epi during labor. After finding out I was pregnant though and doing a bit of research on it I didn't like the side effects. Plus like Jennifer8080 said - an epi may not even work for me. I had my lower spine fused about 2 years ago and the scar tissue may interfere.

Then I started thinking about it and - it is what our bodies were meant to do. Why would I want to put all of these drugs in my system that will in turn go into my baby's system before she is even born! It just didn't seem right to me. I feel society and the medical field has taken away the idea that childbirth is a natural process and I am hoping to remind close friends and family that is still is!
December 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I chose NCB because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. After doing more reading I decided it was way better for baby to avoid interventions altogether. I was already cloth diapering so I lean a little crunchy anyways or as my DH says I'm too liberal.
December 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
at first it was fear of needles and a desire to prove to myself I could. Later it turned to doing the research and knowing it was the safest option if there were no other complications.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 30th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I wanted a NCB with all of my kids, my first two labors were induced -first one because I was too dumb to say no and second one because my OB used the, "if you don't induce your baby will die" tactic on me and it worked! They were miserable to say the least and I left both with these birth-horror stories, which I thought was NORMAL until I found this board and started reading all these wonderful birth stories and I knew I wanted that! Then the more I learned and thought about it the more I started to feel like pitocin/epidurals really are just icky and unsafe/unhealthy! So with my 3rd I set my mind to it and did it and it was wonderful! I finally got that dreamy birth story that I wanted so bad! And now, I could not imagine having a baby any other way than naturally!

Facebook
December 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
to be honest, i was afraid of the complications of epidurals. I happen to know someone who was paralyzed afterwards. She was only 21 years old. I also was afraid of having my labor stall and ending in a c-section.

My fears weren't unfounded. My labor with Teddy was very long, and he just would not descend. I wound up asking for them to use the vaccum extracter. I was relieved in the end that I was able to deliver vaginally at all. With an epidural, it might not have been possible.

December 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I chose to attempt NCB with my son initially because I was terrified of the idea of having an epidural. Not afraid of pushing out a baby, but afraid of an epidural lol. I didn't like the idea of my legs or any part of me being numb for any other reason other than natural reasons. Then when I looked into it more it became more about how much healthier and easier on my body and DS than my fear of needles.

I did not end up having a totally NCB as they pushed pitocin for failure to progress (I wasn't progressing fast enough for them, only about 1/2 cm an hour to 1cm an hour at times). I didn't know I could refuse it, so I took the pitocin drip and couldn't handle the contractions completely so I got neumorphan (similar to demoral I think?).

This time I'm still determined to get my NCB because its better for me, better for baby, its what my body is made to do! So I will try my best to have my NCB this time

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
December 30th, 2010, 06:05 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because I don't feel the need to have medications, labor and childbirth weren't painful for me. Intense, but not painful and I knew it would only last a little while. I also don't feel the need to have interventions unless I need them. I don't eat unless I'm hungry, pee unless I have to, etc. So why use interventions if I don't need them?
December 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
at first it was fear of needles and a desire to prove to myself I could. Later it turned to doing the research and knowing it was the safest option if there were no other complications.
Ditto.

December 30th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
First - FYI Kary - your siggie makes me tear up! I am so happy for you! Your girls are gorgeous!
Anyway - my mom had a NCB with both my brother and I, and said it wasn't bad!
Thanks!

My mom also went natural with me and my brother...

Thanks for all the responses! I love to hear why people choose to do things, I am so glad I can be part of this wounderful board! (even though I don't get here much!)

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
January 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM
I really wanted the best start for my children. We took TBM in 2001 before the birth of our first child and found it very informative. I did have an induction with her birth. In 2003, I vowed never to do that again. I wanted a peaceful birth w/o the machines and structure. I wanted to birth on my own.

My second was born at home after a fairly peaceful 5 hour labor. It was absolutely enjoyable and calm. I couldn't image doing a hospital birth ever again and had another home birth in 2005. I have enjoyed that I become the active participation in the births. I love the recovery...so much quicker for a natural birth. I love the "high" I have from the births.

"Women’s bodies have their own wisdom, and a system of birth refined over 100,000 generations is not so easily overpowered."
Sarah Buckley
January 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started researching NCB initially because I really wanted to avoid a c-section. I hate the idea of major surgery if it's not necessary. After learning about the cascade of interventions it just made sense to try to do it naturally. I just realized that was definitely what would be best for my baby and for myself. Plus I wasn't too thrilled about the prospect of having a needle in my spine or the possible epi complications I had read about.

January 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
My reason: Because I could.

Sounds simple. But I never had my head into 'absolutely no meds' before I went into labor. It was more "if I need them, i will ask for them." But when it came down to it, I managed most of my labor at home and by the time I was in the hospital, I was past transition and heading into pushing. I just did not need one. And now I will pick it for totally different reasons (all the ones listed, pretty much). But I realize I just got lucky the first time.
January 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a bad experience with an induction/epi with my 1st & absolutely did not want to do it again. I started lurking here & decided an NCB as definitely what I wanted. I thought it was the best thing for me & baby girl. My only regret is that I allowed my Dr to induce me with Ethan at 41 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search