Natural Childbirth WITHOUT Classes

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM
Ashl3y
I am starting to think that I may want a natural childbirth, but I just don't have the extra money to take the classes that are specifically for it. Not only is it a money issue, but the nearest Bradley classes are 30 minutes away and I don't drive. So, do you ladies think it's possible to go through with a natural childbirth without taking those classes?
January 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a similar situation. I ended up doing Hypnobabies, which has a home study course, so that is an option. But you can definitely do it without classes as long as you prepare yourself. Check out the articles here on this board. There are also lots of good books on the subject that can help listed in The Reading List sticky. I think your level of determination is important too. So if you really want it and prepare yourself as best you can it is definitely possible!

January 2nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never stepped foot in any birthing class and I had my youngest naturally. As long as you will have good support in L&D it is definitely possible. I didn't even read any books on the subject.
January 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never taken a NCB class either and have had 3 pain med free labors. I read Natural Birth the Bradley Way, Birthing from Within and a few other books about NCB. I also read a book full of NCB stories. I have my husband read the Bradley book for the coach.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Ashl3y
Thank you ladies! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I definitely can (and will!) purchase some books and read up on it so I'm glad that I don't necessarily need to take the classes. I will also lurk around here and read some articles and what not too if you don't mind.
January 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not taking any classes either. I've been doing a lot of reading - books, birth stories, articles, etc. Obviously I haven't had a NCB yet, but I definitely think you can do it with out the classes.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Check your library before you start buying! You might be able to find a good amount of your books that way, maybe even some instructional class type videos. If you find something you really feel like you need to own then its probably possible to find it at a reduced price through amazon or something. You can do a free trial membership for Prime (free two day shipping and some discounts) that will lessen your costs a bit more. Just remember to cancel the membership trial if you go that route or you'll get charged 75 some odd bucks.

I think its definitely possible. Like someone else said, your level of determination has a lot to do with it as well as having good support. You can do it!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have any NCB classes before my first natural birth. The birth center did require us to take thier class, but it didn't teach a method, just helping us learn to trust our bodies and work with it during labor. I think much of it is a mindset and a method isnt' really needed to have a NCB. If you are giving birth in a hospital, you might consider having some support there also, like a doula, since they aren't always the most relaxing environments for a laboring woman.

Expecting baby #4!

January 2nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
another thing i think is very helpful is to watch videos - like on youtube- of natural births. just seeing the women do it is so inspiring. it's like "well if SHE can do it, why cant I?"

another thing that i personally found very helpful (though I did take Bradley) was to do positive affirmations..

"I believe in my body and my ability"
"I believe in my baby to do what she is supposed to"
"I trust in the creator that he has not made a faulty machine"
"I trust my provider and believe that she will stand by me and my wishes in my birth"
"I trust in my husband/SO to be my rock and remind me why I'm having this natural birth"

things like that, whatever works for you. I taped some to our bathroom walls so I would read them while I was getting ready, I put them on my desk, taped some to my computer, etc. they were everywhere i needed them to be.

and just start reading...read everything you can get your hands on!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 2nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
No classes here! Bradley Method book, Ina May book and tons of online reading...and JM

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 3rd, 2011, 05:23 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I didn't take classes either. I did read a lot of books and articles and had the mindset that I could do it.
January 3rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*lurking* I also did not have any classes, or read any book even. I DID have a fabulous midwife though

January 3rd, 2011, 10:54 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you don't have to do classes, but doing something helps----reading/studying/videos/home programs.

you don't have to do classes, but doing something helps----reading/studying/videos/home programs.
Or a doula!
January 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Tiki's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did it, I had done a little hypnobabies that I didn't use. We did have a doula and would really recommend having one as she was awesome, I don't know if we could have done it without her.

The belief that there is only one truth and that oneself is in possession of it seems to me the
deepest root of all evil that is in the world.”
— German physicist Max Born
Like Bear Moon on Facebook
January 5th, 2011, 05:00 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I didn't take any classes, I didn't have a doula, and my husband sat on the other side of the room reading a newspaper while I was in labor LOL. You just have to find what works for you in the moment really, what helps you relax and get through it. For me, that was closing my eyes...I could concentrate and shut out the world that way. I would only briefly, occasionally open my eyes in between contractions to see who was in the room and what they were doing.... I also said "Oh my god" a lot when a contraction hit.... I didn't get warm up contractions, btw... I got full-on intense ones once labor started.

Also, reading on all of the possibilities and of others experiences beforehand really helps. Be informed and don't be afraid. Fear can really hinder things. If you go in thinking 'I can do this', you're more likely to succeed.

I did not succeed with my first, but I did with my second. With my first, I was afraid because it was an induction and not what I had anticipated... I was caught off guard. With #2, I made sure I knew about everything and wouldn't be unprepared to handle anything so that I could succeed.

January 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Happy Mommy
dito. i never took classes, but I read up on things that I wanted to try. just make sure you tell EVERYONE that is going to be at the labor/birth your plans NOW so they are prepared to support you THEN.

also tell the nurses right when you get there. if you have a birth plan of sorts talk that over with them, but point out right away what drugs you don't want, and if any are okay. and make sure they will support that. if they don't seem like they will, don't hesitate to ask for a new nurse. you have that right.
January 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i also have to say...DONT be afraid of Pitocin. I have seen so many ncb hopefuls say "as soon as they told me I was getting pitocin, i opted for the epidural b/c I just knew I couldn't do it"

you can do it. Trust me, I cry when I stub my toe. Mind over matter!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Totally possible! I did it! I didn't take any classes, just did a lot of reading/research and planning/practicing. I really thought through how I would handle certain situations, the entire 2 months before I went into labor I would kind of practice focusing on breathing and "zoning out" of the world. It worked because once I went into labor I got back into that place and it was like there was nothing else going on!

Facebook
January 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I echo what has been said. Read a ton and get the most supportive provider you can find. A student doula can be no or low cost and can help you remember all of the info from the books you read.

I highly recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirh and The Birth Book by Dr. Sears.
January 9th, 2011, 07:59 AM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
My great-grandmother didn't need an epidural or narcotics.
Her great-grandmother didn't, either.
What makes me think I'm so special that I can't handle doing it?

It seems like a vanity to think that I was somehow made "special" and that I can't handle the pain. I am not different from my ancestors in any appreciable way. Saying I'm damaged and need to be TAUGHT to give birth by a stranger seems like an insult to all of the wonders of nature.

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search