Escaping to NY was the best thing I ever did for my baby. :)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Yesterday, I had another appointment with my midwife. I told her that the idea of having an induction and the cascade of interventions scares me, so I want to know "when I have to prepare myself to fight you."

She said, "Well, we don't talk induction until 42 weeks. But if you're in a fightin' mood, we're pretty easy to convince about the virtue of 43 weeks and how your due date might be wrong."

Woooo!

I also asked about positions for labor. She told me that I've been in this body since 1986, and I know it better than anyone after 24 years... so I'll do what I please, and everyone else just has to deal with it. She said she has a sneaking suspicion that I'd walk out of the hospital at 10CM and pushing if someone tried to tell me what to do during labor, haha.

So... no inductions until it's actually scientifically supported, and nobody trying to make me give birth in the Dead Cockroach Position! I'm so happy!

Anyone else switch practices late in pregnancy and feel like they did the absolute best thing in the world for their baby?

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
January 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i switched at 15w with Brylie, so not really late at all..but i definitely know what youre talking about im super happy for you!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Yay for switching! I wish I had the option to switch that early, but the doctors on base were the ones I was told I had to see. (FYI, that's false... My particular insurance level would allow me to go to anyone who takes it!) If I had known I could switch that early, I would have... but I'm pretty happy to be in NY with my family for this.

January 4th, 2011, 09:15 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great! I wish I had switched but I think in this area I thought I would have only found someone marginally better and I didn't think it would have been worth it. In retrospect I wish I had been at a different hospital. Sounds like you have a great provider!

January 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry but your whole post made me giggle. Your doc sounds like a good one Glad you're happy with your move.

I've never switched doctors except for the "switch" I made when I moved. I wasn't pregnant during my state to state move though so there was really no switch. Had I stayed in Rochester though, I would not have gone back to the previous practice.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 4th, 2011, 10:32 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I switched from an OB office with midwives who may or may not have been on duty when I went into labor. I have serious doubts that that practice would have "allowed" me to deliver my 12 pound baby vaginally. I ended up transferring, around I want to say 30 weeks, to a birth center on hospital grounds that managed my pregnancy with basically no interventions. After Owen, the chunky 12 pounder, was born I realized even more how important that decision truly was. I loved it there and would without a doubt go back there again if I ever get to have another.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

January 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
So happy you found someone that good!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 4th, 2011, 11:04 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
That's great! I'm glad you made the switch.
January 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good for you!!! So glad to hear it went so well!

I switched really late in pregnancy with my last and it was the best thing I ever did! I started out seeing the same OB I did with my first, but I knew that I would not deliver with him. I was constantly in search of alternatives. I knew there would be a possibility of us moving to Atlanta so I fell in love with a midwife up here and when it came down to it, I was prepared to move in temporarily with my family until the baby was born if I had to, but luckily we moved up here (an hour from my midwife), around 32 weeks I think.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWifey View Post
So... no inductions until it's actually scientifically supported, and nobody trying to make me give birth in the Dead Cockroach Position!
Bwahahahahaha! Dead cockroach position!!!!!

I switched with my last at about 29 weeks. Best thing I did through that whole pregnancy. I have no doubt my experience would have been very unpleasant if I had stayed with my first midwife (who scoffed at the idea of a natural childbirth ).

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
January 4th, 2011, 06:07 PM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
the dead cockroach position - I love that! Glad you are happy with your switch!
January 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad you switched! I'm shuddering at the mere thought of giving birth in a military hosptial. Luckily I was in the reserves when I had Ethan, so I didn't have to deal with that!
January 4th, 2011, 09:58 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yay for a great switch! where in NY are you if you don't mind me asking?

i am using a different dr. this time that i did in my first pregnancy. the OB who delivered my dd was great for me at the time, but that was before i cared about having a NCB or anything like that. he was ok with inducing me for no real medical reason, and at the time i didn't see that as a red flag!
this time i went with a family doctor who is VERY mother friendly and ok with my entire birth plan. he is not into inducing and encourages bfing.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad that you have such a forward thinking midwife! That is awesome.

I delivered two of my children in a military hospital and 3 in civilian hospitals. The middle ones that were born in the mliitary hospital the births were nto horrible. If it was not for the military doctor telling me the truth about the 2002 study that was against VBAC and teaching me about how 'research' can be manipulated I may never have even known that VBAC was an option. I would never have been offered an external version at 37.5 weeks. I would not have been able to deliver a 9 lb 14 oz VBAC. My next VBAC was at the same hospital, all natural. So, not all military OBs are bad, and not all military hospitals are bad.

My worst birth? In a civilian hospital that was supposedly open to natural childbirth.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 5th, 2011, 12:40 AM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
I switched at 22 weeks, so not far along. I hated everything about my OB, from the condescending way she dismissed my fears, to the way she refused to discuss my thoughts on birthing with me. I knew if I stayed with her I'd have to fight every step of the way to have some semblance of the birth I wanted.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

January 5th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Jennifer Nadien's Avatar Bun in the Oven
Glad you have a midwife like that.
January 5th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthehay View Post
yay for a great switch! where in NY are you if you don't mind me asking?
Eastern Long Island... I'll be having Sephie at Stony Brook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
So, not all military OBs are bad, and not all military hospitals are bad.
I know, and that's actually what makes it worse... I was really looking forward to following in my Grandmother's footsteps and giving birth in a military hospital. But the one in Oak Harbor was horrible. The treatment they gave was inadequate, and the ridiculous things I was told were "policy" varied from OB to OB. Being told that episiotomy was 'routine' was NOT something I wanted to hear! I hated knowing that some military hospitals are baby-and-mother-friendly, and some others are awful. Some allow water birth, for goodness sake, and this place wouldn't even listen to me about using intermittent monitoring, in spite of the fact that I printed out the ACOG guidelines about monitoring!

So yeah... it wasn't "all military hospitals and OBs are bad" bias, it was, "HOLY CRAP THEY WANT TO CUT ME UP AND IF THEY COULD THEY'D STILL USE TWILIGHT SLEEP" fear.

January 5th, 2011, 09:26 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Eastern LI is nice!

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 11th, 2011, 01:27 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWifey View Post
and nobody trying to make me give birth in the Dead Cockroach Position! I'm so happy!
OMG thanks for the chuckle! I'm so glad you were able to switch and have a great MW on your side. I'm seeing an OB who seems to be very naturally minded, I was told I can labor and deliver in whatever position I choose, which I appreciate, but would prefer a MW so much more. I've heard some bad things about military hospitals and am so glad you won't have to deal w/ one. It's really too bad they are not more accommodating to preg ladies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search