For those who tested GBS positive....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you decline or accept the antibiotics?

I know that the chance of the baby contracting it is pretty rare, but having worked in pediatrics I have seen one of the absolute worst case scenarios with a baby, and seen how it affected her for life. I know that's REALLY rare, but just knowing that it could happen scares me.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The research says it is just as likely to happen to a baby whose mother does have antibiotics as one who does not, so I see them as really, really non-evidence based. And to me, the chances of thrush destroying our future breastfeeding relationship were a lot more likely than her being GBS positive. I believe I am correct in saying NO other developed country even TESTS for GBS.

January 4th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tested positive with my first and had the antibiotics. I hadn't done any research, just went with the flow for everything.

With my second, I went to a midwife that really thought taking the test wasn't necessary, but it was mandatory for her to give it, she just gave me the swab and let me do it in the bathroom. I scantily swabbed, lol. It came back negative. I would have declined the antibiotics.

With this one, I am not even getting tested. My midwife doesn't think it's necessary.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i accepted them w/ brylie...i am declining the test this time

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had them with my first and also didn't question anything at the time.

With my second, I debated even testing, but decided to in the end. It was negative, but I still was undecided if I wanted to treat it if I did have it.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

January 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not to sounds stupid, but what are the affects of GBS on babies? I could have sworn one of my friend's mom had a baby that passed away from GBS soon after birth that was perfectly healthy otherwise. Obviously she was a huge advocate for GBS tests and medication, which was the first I ever heard about it. She even got the meds with the babies she had after just in case (can't blame her there). Was that a really rare thing to happen?

January 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
Not to sounds stupid, but what are the affects of GBS on babies? I could have sworn one of my friend's mom had a baby that passed away from GBS soon after birth that was perfectly healthy otherwise. Obviously she was a huge advocate for GBS tests and medication, which was the first I ever heard about it. She even got the meds with the babies she had after just in case (can't blame her there). Was that a really rare thing to happen?

ACOG Education Pamphlet AP105 -- Group B Streptococcus and Pregnancy

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 4th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
It's rare, but possible. The child that I knew in the pediatric practice I worked with developed meningitis and some other infection, I'm drawing a blank on. She basically had no motor skills at all. I left the practice when she was about 18 months old, and she was not able to walk, talk, etc. They went through tons of therapy, which sadly had no effect.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer8080 View Post
It's rare, but possible. The child that I knew in the pediatric practice I worked with developed meningitis and some other infection, I'm drawing a blank on. She basically had no motor skills at all. I left the practice when she was about 18 months old, and she was not able to walk, talk, etc. They went through tons of therapy, which sadly had no effect.
How devastating.

I'm still debating this myself. I have a feeling that I would probably decline the antibiotics if faced with the choice right now. Note to self: must do more research on GBS...

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
January 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your best bet with GBS is to research the symptoms and keep an eagle eye out for them. I plan to do this with ANY baby, because GBS status is a day to day thing, and if you're neg at the swab means absolutely nothing on the day of delivery.

But with all my "not evidence based!!!" I have to put in a disclaimer. I declined antibiotics at home. When we transferred to the hospital, the took my baby to the NICU after delivery for TWO DAYS until all tests came back negative. BUT the unnecessary interventions they did in the meantime (like an IV) caused problems in my otherwise healthy baby and she had to stay 3 more days. (They wanted three MORE, but I fought hard at that point.) If I'd known then what I know now I would have signed us both out AMA 24 hours later, but cest la vie.

All that to say that being a homebirth I am in a unique situation with the potential hostility of a transferring hospital. So while I will do everything possible to pull a negative test, if I am pos I think I will still do antibiotics at home. The fact that I am right (and I know I am!!! ) is just not worth potentially having to face all that trauma again.

January 5th, 2011, 06:13 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I took them in the birth center. I had an IV lock and they would give me a bag every 4 hours. It was not a big deal. I hate antibiotics, but when I was transfered for my c-section I was glad I had had them, because infection is the real scare I had with the surgery! LOL. I am not sure what I would do in the future.

January 5th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Google:

Mothering Magazine and GBS

(sorry apparently I need 10 posts before I can use links...)

Anyway, its a GREAT article
January 6th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Super Mommy
I am declining. I don't handle antibiotics well and don't feel like I can risk it. We will watch the babies very carefully and do the heel stick to make sure everything looks good.

January 6th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I tested positive with my son and accepted the antibiotics. I didn't even think of declining them. I hadn't done much research into GBS, but I was sweating so much after my water broke that they had to literally tie the IV onto my hand using the tape that sticks to normal people. Having the IV lock in meant it was stable when they went to start adding pitocin. It was in my way from time to time, especially when I was pushing I kept trying to claw it off.

This is something I'd like to do more research on, but if I test positive again I will likely still take the antibiotics.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
January 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If they'll give me oral antibiotics to take prior to birth, sure I'll take them. I will not take IV antibiotics. I will fight tooth and nail over having an IV put in for many reasons, most of which have to do with my past experience.

I tested negative with DS so it was never even an issue.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 6th, 2011, 08:46 PM
sunny mama's Avatar Super Mommy
I tested positive. I let the hospital give me IV antibiotics. I was able to stand up and move around with Mr. IV pole until the bag finished.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search