breakdown of placenta?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Super Mommy
Ok ladies... I am just popping in with a random question.

I am 38+2 with fraternal twins... I have two placentas and they are fused. I am giving birth at a BC so they are more willing to let me do as I please, but the OB I saw a couple of days ago is ready to induce me. They consider 37 weeks full term for twins and so I am "overdue" basically. He is concerned about the placenta breaking down, BUT since I have two placentas I don't understand. Shouldn't it be the same as a singleton as far as "placental breakdown" is concerned? I would understand a little more if I only had one placenta, but I have two.... I have spoken with 3 different OBs at the BC and the furthest they would want me to go is 40 weeks. I of course was ready to have these babies YESTERDAY!! But I don't want to be induced... yes we are trying all the "natural" ways to get things going... things are moving along, but I just don't know if they will make their "deadline." If I was pg with a singleton I would go at least 42 weeks before being induced... but I am having twins and I really don't know what to do. Most everyone I know has not gone over 38 weeks.
Please let me know any thoughts, advice, articles you have.
Oh, I should also add I am doing NST twice a week PLUS an U/S to make sure they have plenty of water around them and EVERY time I hear "they look GREAT! Babies are doing perfect."
FYI
with DS 1 I went 40+5
DS 2 I went 40+4

January 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NST and u/s....as long as they look good I don't see an issue. Good luck on the NCB with twins!!!! (and I mean that in the supportive way not the "yeah good luck with that" way LOL)
January 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am with you...I don't understand why the placentas would break down any quicker than normal. I "get" that full term for twins is shorter...BUT...I thought that was due to size/space issues, not because their placenta anatomy is any different than a singleton. Especially with fraternals. And from what I know about twins, lots of fraternal twins have fused placentas anyway. My aunt's fused at a stage before 36 weeks because when she delivered them there was one huge placenta and they knew they were fraternal (one boy, one girl). So I guess I don't get it either. But I am no help since I am pretty new to the board and don't know enough about twin pregnancies to help. I hope you get it figured out. I thought it would be better to carry them as long as possible.
January 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, if they keep telling you that everything looks great, then they're kind of contradicting themselves. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as things keep looking good!

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

January 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
If everything is looking fine you're A-ok Best of luck!!!!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 6th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no experience with this.. but what it sounds like to me is "This is outside the realm of what we're used to and comfortable with.. so we're jumping to the first solution we can think of."

If babies are doing well, you're doing well and there aren't complications then I don't see why induction is necessary. But like I said, no experience with twin pregnancy!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I thought the idea with twins was to keep them in as long as possible? Since when is 38 weeks overdue? I agree with everyone else that if the NSTs are looking good then I don't see a problem with staying pregnant. I am clueless on twin pregnancies though
January 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know an old co-worker went to 39 weeks with her twins. She began labor naturally and ended up having a c-sec. So yeah, I would think still being pregnant at 38 weeks with healthy babies and healthy mommy wouldn't be bad at all.

I'm sure it is uncomfy though. Hopefully however much time they have left in there goes by fast for you!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 7th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that if they're looking for a problem twice a week and can't find one, then I wouldn't worry too much. Congratulations on the twins, too! I can't remember the last time I heard of a mama letting her twins go past 37 weeks!

January 9th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Super Mommy
Thank ladies for all the support! I have my 39 week appointment tomorrow and will probably be setting an induction date. I did read a study about the rate of stillbirth goes way up after 37 weeks with twins. Anyway, we will see what comes tomorrow. On a positive note... I will be holding babies in my arms within a week one way or another!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search