Placenta Delivery Question...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Jasonswife99's Avatar Super Mommy
With my 3rd child my doctor said since it had been 1/2 hour and I had not delivered the placenta, she would have to manually remove it. It was a horrible, painful experience. How long can you safely wait to deliver the placenta?

Forever missing our angels...
April 25, 2010 & January 4, 2010
January 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I believe it's up to a few hours actually. I'll go double check...

This site says it can take from a few minutes up to an hour. I think I read in Ina May's book that sometimes it takes a couple hours though. I could be incorrect.
Delivery of the Baby

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .

January 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember my midwives tugging on my placenta, I can't remember if they were manually delivering it for me or if it just wasn't coming out easily with the contractions. It was just uncomfortable though, not neccesarily painful. I'm not sure what the same timeline is, but I would think you wouldn't want to wait more than a few hours to deliver it.

January 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I believe legally my birth center is only allowed to wait one hour for the placenta to be delivered, before transferring me to a hospital. She said that they have Pitocin on hand, as well as techniques such as having mom stand up, etc. to get the placenta to deliver if you're getting close to the time frame. She said usually they can find a way to beat the one hour limit.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, 30 minutes is definitely too soon to manually remove it. Ouch!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 8th, 2011, 04:01 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ouch! I almost had mine manually done after Phelix. I had waited 30min after delivery, then my midwife gave me the injection they can give to help to release, had another 30mins on top of the first 30, we were trying everything to get it to come. The other midwife was on the phone to the hospital to arrange a transfer over to get it manually removed (but they give you an epi first) when it finally came!

For #2 andd #3 they gave me the injection about 5mins after delivery and they both came out 5-10mins later

January 12th, 2011, 08:59 AM
moonmama03's Avatar Reese Gabriel due 5/15/11
With my first daughter I remember when I delievered the placenta, and it actually hurt more than delievering my baby! The OB had been down there stitching up my episiotomy and I think he was tugging on it, it hurt! Second baby, I didnt even feel it come out.

January 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I didn't feel it w/ Kailey because of the epi, but with Nola I did feel it. No pain, just a "plop" ...LOL!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC
..........Jackie..........

Awaiting our Team Green baby at home July 2014. . .

January 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This freaks me out, it sounds like as soon as baby is delivered my ob likes to go in and "massage" it out. Personally I think that is too soon and would prefer waiting. Sounds like more convenience for the OB and hospital than what is best for patient.
January 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Loves View Post
I didn't feel it w/ Kailey because of the epi, but with Nola I did feel it. No pain, just a "plop" ...LOL!
Lol yep. Same. I think I delievered the placenta within 20ish minutes. I could feel it and everything, but it didn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_piggy View Post
This freaks me out, it sounds like as soon as baby is delivered my ob likes to go in and "massage" it out. Personally I think that is too soon and would prefer waiting. Sounds like more convenience for the OB and hospital than what is best for patient.
Tell them not to.

With mine they didn't do anything until after the placenta came out. The OB guided it out to catch it, the nurse massaged my abdomen a bit but it wasn't anything hardcore. I have heard the opposite end of the spectrum though.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
My midwives give you 45 minutes before they try anything drastic, I'm sure they would give you longer except at the hour mark they have to transfer you.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

January 12th, 2011, 09:37 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I pretty sure it was an hour but mine came within 10-20 min for all my kids

January 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
nicolelogg's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After 15 minutes with my third baby too, the placenta didn't come out, and they thought that was too long and manually took it out, and you are right it hurts really bad then I got an uterus infection because of it on top of them taking it out, I will not allow them to take it out again manually, that is why, i did not go to a hospital and went to a birth center for my last baby, it made a world of difference.
January 13th, 2011, 05:38 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1hr to transfer
January 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I bled heavily after my first (hospital birth) and needed the pitocin shot and all that. I had a home birth with my second and did ask my midwife about the possibility of bleeding heavily again. She said many OB's and even midwives in the hospital actually tug the placenta out instead of letting it come on it's own. This causes bleeding. Often mothers don't even know this happened because they are so into their babies. She said she just doesn't have bleeding as an issue with her births. Sure enough I had no issues with my home birth. Nursing or just nipple stimulation really helps bring the placenta down. It is really important that they leave well enough alone and let you deliver it on your own. Unfortunately hospital protocol isn't always what is best for mom and baby.

Even with a birth plan I think it will be VERY important that you communicate directly with whomever attends your birth and make sure it is clear what you wish.
January 13th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Jasonswife99's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies!!!!

Forever missing our angels...
April 25, 2010 & January 4, 2010
January 13th, 2011, 08:51 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Just as a little addition, my midwife just had me stand up and squat as best I could. It had been about 40 minutes and mine was still not out (they had already taken my son to NICU). She helped me stand up and before I could even really get into the squat position, it was out. It was not painful at all. But I know she did not tug on it or anything before that. She was just holding the rest of the cord and gently pushing on my belly (also did not hurt). I never knew there was a time limit, but now it makes sense why she had me stand up to deliver it when she did.
January 13th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Arachne
The midwife who delivered me (not my doctor) gave me 5 - 10 minutes, and she started tugging on it, and yelling for 100mg of Cytotec. Apparently my uterus heard "cytotec" because two seconds later, I'm like "Dude, can I just push it out?" and she looked all surprised. "Do you have the urge???" and a teeny push, and 2 seconds, it was out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search