Where can I find scientific research proving the benefits of natural child birth?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
We're trying to weigh our options on what the right type of childbirth we'd prefer. We're interested in natural child birth, however, we're skeptical of all things-- we want to know that there's actually proven benefits to doing natural childbirth.

Where can I find medical research showing that natural childbirth is a real, proven, beneficial birthing method?

Thanks
January 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
there are TONS of links in the subforum
Natural Childbirth Information and Articles of Interest - JustMommies Message Boards

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I guess I'm looking for specific medical literature citations.
January 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I think your best bet if you're looking at it from a strictly medical standpoint is to research the side effects of various drugs and procedures used during delivery. There are some scientific studies in the subforum, but it's not really organized in a way that would let you search through to just find those particular ones. There have been studies of the individual components of labor (pitocin, c/s, cord clamping, etc..) but not much on natural childbirth as a whole. Some of the other ladies here might be able to help point you in a more specific direction

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 8th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Researching natural childbirth in general will give you more information than you bargained for already - then take a look at the citations for each thing you read, you'll find most of the medical studies there.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is probably because I'm reading this book right now, but I would recommend reading "Pushed" by Jennifer Block. She really gets into the nitty gritty of different studies on obstetrical procedures and interventions and how they came to be standard practice (and why many of them shouldn't). She talks about how it's pretty much impossible to do randomized controlled trials (pretty much the best standard as far as evidenced based research) when it comes to childbirth but she carefully examines a lot of the studies that have been done and they are all listed in an appendix. It's really a very interesting book and makes me wish that I had done a lot of things differently with my first birth.

January 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it should be really easy to find scientific research proving that ncb is safer, since ncb is the way nature intended and humanity has survived this long with it! good luck!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 9th, 2011, 12:40 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maternal deaths linked to regional anesthesia in childbirth increase - - Contemporary OB/GYN

This study was done on babies born from c-section mothers, but the result would be the same since the epidural was what caused the difference in body temps for the newborn, with the epidural babies having more difficulty maintaining their body temperature: Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research - The effect of epidural and general anesthesia on newborn rectal temperature at elective cesarean section

This one shows that female babies born after exposure to epidurals have less sucking reflex: Neonatal Neurobehavioral Organization After Exposure to Maternal Epidural Analgesia in Labor - Bell - 2010 - Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing - Wiley Online Library

This one shows that women with intermittent epidural are less likely to develop fevers, which logic would dictate means women without epidurals are even less likely to have fevers: The Incidence of Maternal Fever During Labor is Less With In... : Obstetric Anesthesia Digest

This last one looks like it has some interesting information, but I can't read all of it:

SpringerLink - Abstract

One more, it shows increased risk for c-section and instrumental vaginal delivery: SpringerLink - Maternal and Child Health Journal, Volume 14, Number 5

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Effects of Epidural Anesthesia during Labor on Maternal Plas... : Anesthesiology

This study shows that the natural 'pain killers' are reduced when a woman gets an epidural. The significance of this is that it means the baby doesn't get the benefit of those natural pain killers either. Meaning baby feels every strong squeeze of the uterus just as much as you do, or more because you have the pain relief from the epidural. That means that if you have an epidural the delivery is more traumatic for the baby because they feel more pain.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
January 9th, 2011, 07:29 AM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg76 View Post
Effects of Epidural Anesthesia during Labor on Maternal Plas... : Anesthesiology

This study shows that the natural 'pain killers' are reduced when a woman gets an epidural. The significance of this is that it means the baby doesn't get the benefit of those natural pain killers either. Meaning baby feels every strong squeeze of the uterus just as much as you do, or more because you have the pain relief from the epidural. That means that if you have an epidural the delivery is more traumatic for the baby because they feel more pain.
Wow!

I always suspected something like that might be true, but I never had anything beyond a gut instinct. That's a HUGE help to keep my booty on track and do it natural... I would never be selfish enough to let my baby be in pain (to CAUSE her pain!) when I'm sitting pretty!

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
January 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
childbirth connection has lots of great info, check it out
January 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am surprised no one has mentioned Henci Goer. The thinking woman's guide to a better birth. That is nothing but summarized medical research, properly annotated.

January 10th, 2011, 11:30 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I am surprised no one has mentioned Henci Goer. The thinking woman's guide to a better birth. That is nothing but summarized medical research, properly annotated.
i was literally coming here to recommend that book

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 10th, 2011, 12:11 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i was literally coming here to recommend that book
I don't know why I didn't post that too! It was really the only book I read on the subject while pregnant. Tons of great info!!

January 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I hate to admit, I have never read it. Maybe I should see if our library has it...lol

Sail Back to Me
January 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree about looking into side effects of a medicated birth. I assume by "natural child birth" you mean unmedicated. I don't mean to sound anything but curious.. but why do you need to prove that its safer? Everything has a side effect, even tylenol. You only weigh the pros and cons and make an educated decision. Not having medications is going to lessen the amount of side effects that you AND baby are bombarded with.

I guess I can see why you may want scientific "proof" for something like water birth, home birth, unassisted birth etc, but NCB is achievable even in a hospital. I guess I just don't see the need for proof with that.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search