How do you tell? - crampy contractions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Super Mommy
I have been having crampiness for the past week or so, in my lower belly and back. I still have contractions, but I am pretty sure they are BH since they seem to go away, but the past couple days, they have been accompanied by the crampiness. I don't know if the crampiness is due to him dropping or what. Everyone says that you will know when they are real, and I thought that would be true because I know what BH feels like, but these feel different to me, but maybe they are still just BH and the fact that he is REALLY low aggravates thinks and makes the crampiness. It is so hard not being able to just "know" here I am, in labor. I am still too early, so I would like to wait at least a bit over a week. I would just like to have the discomfort over with also (but I am not sure I am ready for the baby to be here yet ). So how do you really "know?" Do I just wait until they are so uncomfortable I can't stand it, and then I know ;P

Thank you to Claire1979 for my wonderful siggy
January 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well mine were like period cramps but very uncomfortable like nothing i ever felt before. All i wanted to do was sleep, and lie down and nothing i did could get me comfortable i tryed bath, lieing down, whatever i could and they didn't stop but they didn't get worse either. I was in early labor for 6 day's they would come and go they were never really steady, till the day i went into labor. Since this is your first by the look of it, i wouldn't wait till you are hurting in pain or crying since it could be a fast labor i would time them if they are comeing 5 mins or less for a hr or 2 i think it is then go in your still to early to be going into labor drink some water, take a warm shower or bath, lie down and see how they are.

Last edited by Sweetpea24; January 10th, 2011 at 12:32 PM.
January 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Everyone says you just know, but this is my first so I can only speculate based on what my doula has said. I would say unless the contractions are getting closer together and stronger, that it's probably just BHs.

I was talking to my doula today about losing my plug and she said that it's very common to have cramping and an increase in contractions as it gets closer, but there's no real concern unless they are consistent, and get closer and stronger.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The nurse I spoke to when trying to decide if I was in labor or not with Jacob said that one of the things to look for is their timing.. so how far apart they are and how long they are.

Another thing is when comfort measures won't help them go away. Usually whe BH's get too intense for me I can lay down, use a light heating pad, drink water, eat, relax, shower, take a bath etc and it will help stop them. So if you can go down the list of comfort measures and they're not stopping then I'd say you've got something going on.

My contractions with labor were not intense until I was put on pitocin. I dialated to 6 and could laugh, talk, eat, sleep, walk etc with no issue. Every once in a while I'd have to slow down a bit but that was it. The only indication I had was the two things I mentioned above and then my water broke so my water breaking sealed the deal.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I didn't know I was in labor with Kailey. The only reason I called my MW is because I thought my water broke while I was sitting in the tub. I sat in the tub to see if the contrax would stop, and they did, so I just assumed early labor, and that can last for days.

By the time my MW got to my house I was 7cm and 0 pain.

With Nola I went into early labor and it HURT. It didn't stop when I got in the bath and they were consistent. I just "knew" that it wasn't it though (I don't know how...). The next night... same thing... contrax started at 7pm and at midnight DH made me call my MW. The only reason I thought I was in labor was because DH said, "This is how you acted last time, you're in labor, call her!"

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I had crampy BH on and off for a long time. I knew instantly when i was in true labor though. They just felt different, more in my back. They were painful enough that i could not get comfortable or go back to sleep. (it was 4am and they woke me up) I found myself having to concentrate to get through them. When i got up to use the bathroom, i already had bloody show.

January 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had crampy BHs for weeks with my second. Both of my active labors felt like I was about to have a really bad case of diarrhea. It was much more intense than the crampiness

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search