Head size: How big is "too big?"

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 07:06 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
position means much more than size. If mom can get moving around and isn't stuck on her back it makes things much much easier.

I posted a "big baby" thread in the subforum, check it out
January 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While in Asian countries with my last pregnancy they told me their average babies were 8-10lbs. And this is coming from countries were women have the hips of a 10 yr old boy! LOL I got lectured because my baby was to measuring to small and that I may have a premie (by their standards)...which I did he was only 6 lbs 10oz.
15 cm head isn't big.... and those c/s babies that don't make it into the deep pelvis/vaginal canal have rounder heads than vaginal cone head babies...so a 15 cm vaginal is going to actually be a bigger head than a 15 cm c/s once it rounds back out LOL

I bet when she think she dilates to 10cm than no way a 15 cm would come out.... you would be SHOCKED by how many women think that!
January 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
KristenV's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_piggy View Post
I cannot believe the crap some Drs say. My hubby doesn't understand why I'm so against a hospital birth, but that right there is part of it. This is my first so I don't know head size yet, but I would be furious if my OB was threatening c/s "b/c my baby's head was too big" or the u/s showed my baby was huge. I've never once read someone say their baby was anywhere near as big as the u/s said.
Same here! DH just doesn't quite "get it". He did watch BOBB, so I think he's coming around. Maybe I should read him what some have written on 'My OB said what?'

Thank you AlexAiden Mommy for my siggy!

January 12th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
See! I knew I wasn't alone in thinking that was likely complete and utter B.S.! Her baby wasn't huge (9 lbs 5 oz) and she’s a little on the short side, but her hips aren't narrow. I asked my midwife at my last appt and she said 15" is large, but not "cause-for-a-c-section" large.

She also said that the actual circumference of the head is usually misleading because the baby usually emerges with the back part of their head first, which can shave up to an inch and a half off the actual amount of stretching and adjusting your body and... eh-hem... your girly parts have to do to get the baby out.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the situation is that now she feels like she couldn't have done it naturally, that somehow her body couldn't have handled birthing her baby. I have a very strong feeling that, barring any real emergency, she could have had the NCB she had wanted so badly. I also have a sneaking suspicion that her doc wasn't really all that supportive of NCB (as he claimed to be)...

Not to mention, now her chances of having a natural birth with any future kiddos is in jeopardy and will be subject to whatever her future provider/hospital's policies are (gosh darn VBAC bans!!!).

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; January 12th, 2011 at 07:04 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search