? For my Charlotte, NC Ladies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know this is going to sound crazy - but please tell me you have a birth center or some great home birth midwives? It's looking more and more likely that we're coming to Charlotte next year (best case scenario) - and I'm already upset that I won't get to have my great midwives for baby #2.

I know it's a really minor thing when we're talking about having to move 800 miles away, but it was one of the first things I thought of.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
January 11th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
awww That's such a tough thing to have to do. I hope things work out for the best
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
January 11th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
awww That's such a tough thing to have to do. I hope things work out for the best
It really is, but us moving is pretty much the only chance that DH has to keep ANY job with the company, because his whole department is being eliminated at year end.

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11), Caleb (8/6/12) and Carson (10/14/14)Expecting #4 February 2017!!!
Life As We Know It
January 12th, 2011, 05:53 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
There is a birth center in Fort Mill, SC which is probably about 20 minutes from Charlotte. I have a tour there on Monday the 17th. I'll let you know what it is like. The web site makes it look like a pretty nice place.
Carolina Community Maternity Center

Last edited by FusionGirl; January 12th, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
January 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
^20 minutes from South Charlotte so it depends what part of the city you move to. I'm in a suburb NE of the city so it wasn't an option for me.

I don't know any home birth midwives here but that doesn't mean they don't exist. CPMs are not legal here and typically CNMs practice with OBs. There are only two hospitals that I know that give midwives delivery privileges. My midwives delivered at Carolinas Medical Center Main in uptown Charlotte (center city). CMC hospitals are pretty baby-friendly. My labor went too quick so I didn't make it to my hospital for my midwife to deliver. CMC Main allows intermittent monitoring, labor in showers or birthing balls, no iv necessary unless you're GBS+ and you can have a heplock then.

There is another member here (niknok) who delivered at CMC Pineville with a CNM. My understanding is that hospital has birthing tubs for labor but not for delivery and has the same policies as the main location.

Despite having a hospital birth, I really did love my midwives and plan to use them again and hopefully make it to their hospital next time

January 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I'm glad to hear that there are good options. We started looking at our options for houses online. We don't know TOO much about exactly when we'll be going but we are hoping to build again, since we JUST built our dream house, it's like nothing really compares when we look at resales.

Where is Mooresville? I guess I need to find a place to live based on what would be a reasonable commute across the state line and to the birth center! LOL I would do a hospital birth if it came down to it, but I'd really really really rather do a birth center.

Life As We Know It
January 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Mooreseville is north of Charlotte by Lake Norman. We have friends that live there. It's very nice but the lake area has a lot of traffic. I used to work for a homebuilder so feel free to pm me with questions. I moved to Charlotte when I was 5 and didn't move to the suburbs (Concord) until I was 24. DH was also a native of Charlotte so we've seen how it's changed.

You would probably want to look at South and Southwest Charlotte, Waxhaw, Weddington, or even Lancaster, SC. It depends on where your DH will be commuting for work too. DH and I grew up in the Ballantyne area of South Charlotte. That's an easy commute to the birth center.

January 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Hey! I have tons of advice and answers to your questions and will respond if I can EVER get my two year old to sleep tonight.

Come visit my blog!
January 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Im at Fort Bragg and i only know of 2 homebirth CNM's in the triangle area and 2 birth centers...but that is a bit aways from Charlette. With how big the city is you would think there would be more options then where im at! good luck!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 12th, 2011, 06:25 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
So I finally have kids in bed, but now I'm exhausted and can't wait to get to sleep. I'll answer what I can, and you can pm me for my phone number to call if you'd like. I can talk MUCH faster than I can type, haha.

I live in south charlotte, and LOVE it. I had both boys at CMC Pineville with CNM midwives, and LOVED it. I had no IV, no epi or drugs, delivered however I wanted, and went home in 24 hours. No eye ointment, no circ, no Hep B, and noone ever flinched or gave me any crap. And only intermittent monitoring after an initial 15 minute strip.

There is a birth center as someone above me pointed out. I had a friend/coworker tour there and she fell in love, but later miscarried. It's just across the state line.
There are home birth midwives, but they practice illegally and underground. Don't let that deter you if it's what you want. Many women go that route!

I hope this best case scenario works out for you. I came to Charlotte in 2003, and love it with all my heart. There is a definite group of natural mommies here. Honestly, the city is so large there is something for everyone!

Come visit my blog!
January 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies!

Life As We Know It
January 13th, 2011, 07:07 AM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I have to correct Niki.....Homebirth with a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) are perfectly legal in North Carolina....there are only 5 CNM's that do homebirths in the whole state though. A lot more CPM's (Certified Professional Midwifes) and yes they have to practice under the table. Hopefully we can get this state to change there laws soon.

im super happy to have one of the 5 CNM's doing my homebirth legally!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by bre4thewin; January 13th, 2011 at 07:10 AM.
January 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Mommy to girls
I live just below Charlotte and have delivered 2 babies with one of the birth center midwives. Mine were both homebirths but I live in SC. If you go to thier website, you can take a virtual tour. I am going to the birth center for my prenatal visits this time but will once again be delivering at home. I think it is called Carolina Community Maternity center if you want to google it.
March 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I know this post is a little old but I was wondering if you were still wondering about midwives.

I am due in September and I have a WONDERFUL midwife who lives here in Charlotte. There is one more who I hear is wonderful as well. She lives in South Carolina I believe (which, if you don't already know, is only about 15 minutes away) but she does come to your home for one visit and the birth, obviously, as well as postpartum visits. The same goes for the midwife I chose. I was going to meet with both midwives but I just fell in love with the first one I met.

OH! and there is another one too. I can't believe I almost forgot! She's actually from my hometown but she travels. She had agreed to be my midwife for this baby but I was worried about her making it for the birth (my son was born in 1.5 hrs from first contraction). She's wonderful too!
June 26th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Jennifer8080, and all,
There are now 8 homebirth CNMs in North Carolina. And, I am near Charlotte. I cover a 2 hour radius of Hickory, and I'm in Charlotte one day/week doing consults & prenatals. I was direct entry for over 25 yrs. & all but 50 of the over 850 births under my belt have been out of hospital, I will always remain in homebirthing, I also do well woman care & family planning. I take Medicaid & submit claims to all Insurances. Feel free to contact me,
Lovely days to all,
Karen Benfield, CNM
Owner of BirthTender Midwifery, a Homebirth, Well Woman, & Family Planning Nurse-Midwifery Practice.
828-495-1110

P.s. Does anyone know how to advertise on here?
accepts all insurance, including Medicaid
March 7th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bre4thewin View Post
I have to correct Niki.....Homebirth with a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) are perfectly legal in North Carolina....there are only 5 CNM's that do homebirths in the whole state though. A lot more CPM's (Certified Professional Midwifes) and yes they have to practice under the table. Hopefully we can get this state to change there laws soon.

im super happy to have one of the 5 CNM's doing my homebirth legally!
Im about one hour from Charlotte, 6 months pregnant and i am straying away from my local health care practitioners because they are all irritating nuts!!! Are you on Facebook? I would love to know about your midwife! Look me up so we can talk: Briana Nyleigha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search