Packing for birth center?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mrs.Ajalele
I have been able to find list for hospital births but I am not sure I need to pack the same things for a birth center birth. I am hoping for a water birth. I would like to know what would be good to pack for both me (DH wont need much maybe a change of clothes and swim trunks) and my baby girl. I wont be there long after she is born I believe it is 6-12 hours unless there are complications.

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

January 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My birth center gave me a whole list of things - I'm too lazy to get out of bed to get it, but it included some of the following -

-2-3 long shirts or gowns to labor in
-a sports bra or swim top, etc. if you wish to wear in the tub
-2 outfits for baby, including socks, etc.
-2-3 receiving blankets
-an outfit to go home in (maternity)
-Pads (Depends style slip on) - though I have had no luck in figuring out exactly what to buy
-snacks and drinks (I'd have to look at the list to know exactly what they suggest)
-change of clothes and swim trunks for dad
-hair brush, hair ties, shampoo, brush, etc.
-any other toiletries (I bought tooth brush, tooth paste, deoderant, shower gel, etc.)

I'll look at my list tomorrow and see if I'm missing anything else.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks that is very helpful! At my next appt I will have to ask if they have a list or anything. I am just getting a little antsy to have things ready

Oh and depends style? So like diaper? Ick..

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

January 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah - I'm trying to get all my stuff packed as well. The whole pad thing has really thrown me for a loop. I guess I need to look on drugstore.com. I was getting a strange look in Target from the 80 year old next to me in the Depends aisle. I was tempted to call my mom and say something like, "What kind of Depends does Grandma like again??" LOL!

Life As We Know It
January 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it may seem "ick" but seriously, depends are GREAT after birth.

these are the ones: Walmart.com: Depend For Women, Large Extra Absorbency Underwear, 18 pk: Personal Care
surprisingly comfortable and it's nice not to stress about leaking out of a pad, plus it helps comfortably support your belly after birth

Jennifer's list looks great.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
it may seem "ick" but seriously, depends are GREAT after birth.

these are the ones: Walmart.com: Depend For Women, Large Extra Absorbency Underwear, 18 pk: Personal Care
surprisingly comfortable and it's nice not to stress about leaking out of a pad, plus it helps comfortably support your belly after birth

Jennifer's list looks great.
Ugh! I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around it - but I guess you have a point! LOL

How long did you wear the depends for? And what kind of pads did you get for after the fact? I ONLY wear tampons, except for when I had my miscarriages, and that was AWFUL. I hated them. I know I'll be wearing pads for a lot longer PP than with a m/c, so I feel like I'm at a complete loss here.

Life As We Know It
January 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah that will be interesting I am just used to putting my patients in them lol. It makes sense though. I have some very thick ob pads that were given to me and then was planning on my super always. I am a tampon person as well pads just feel like diapers. Thank you ladies!

January 11th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I used the depends for the first 2 days until the bleeding slowed to a normal period, then used 'overnight' pads for another few days to a week depending on the baby, then just regular pads. I personally prefer Always brand.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
I never did the depends, I love the underwear/panties cloth thingies (I don't know what they're called) that they give in the hospital. My MW gave me some at my homebirth too, after that I just used the largest pads I could buy, but many women use the Depends and love them. I think I will be trying that next time!

As for the list, I'm not sure what all your BC supplies for you so I'd ask for their list and then compare it to hospital lists and see what's missing that you might need/want to take

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 11th, 2011, 11:47 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmmm i never thought about using depends. i just used super thick pads last time. ugh i hate them! this time around i had planned on using the 7th gen pads.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 12th, 2011, 04:55 AM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
I wish I'd seen this post yesterday. I spent about 30 minutes trying to decide what kind of pads to get. Nothing looked comfortable, so I just went with cheap overnight pads. I considered getting depends too but I didn't know people actually did that. I will pick some up soon though.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

January 12th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jennifer's lists seems to cover it. I brought something to wear in the tub (a tanktop), clothes for after the baby was born, an outfit, blanket, hat and diapers for baby, and any toiletries I thought I might want (never used them though). Check with your midwife though, mine gave me a list of suggested items to bring and they gave me the Depends to use while I was there and sent me home with some. They were great for after the birth, but I picked up thin overnight pads for the weeks following my birth, because I prefer those.

January 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
This is what I brought to the BC-

robe
big t-shirt/nightgown
nursing tank
pj pants
slippers
a few pairs of socks
hair bands and brush
toothbrush and paste
change of clothes for DH
baby clothes, blanket, hat, etc
toilet paper (i am VERY picky about my TP and was glad i did this because i had castor oil and the BC toilet paper would have been murder after a while on my sensitive bum!)
pads
underwear
squirt bottle

I was a hospital transfer, so they gave me stuff there, but my MW said that you can soak and freeze maxi pads and wear them to soothe your girly parts after birth.

I just wore overnight pads and i bled for 8 weeks i think. it was gross. i hate pads and had not worn them since i was like 14 years old! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search