Bathing baby after birth

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 09:28 AM
FusionGirl's Avatar Formerly TTC#1inNC
Is it really necesary in a vaginal delivery? I am still deciding on birth center vs hospital and I was just watching a video on the hospital website of the nursery and they said within an hour or so of being born they take the baby to the nursery put a probe on the baby to monitor temp, when their temp is 98 degrees they give them a bath and then they have to wait for baby's temp to rise back to 98 before they bring her back to the room. I really want uninterupted time with the baby in the first few hours for kangaroo care and breastfeeding and honestly don't want the baby leaving the room so they don't do anything I am not aware of.

My Bradley teacher has been telling us there is no reason to give a baby a bath in the first week or so. What have you done or what are you planning to do?
January 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Science & Sensibility Rub It In: Making the Case for the Benefits of Vernix Caseosa

Science!

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
January 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She was born in the water and we hopped back into the tub after it was drained and refilled for a herbal bath. We never washed her vernix off though, we just let it rub in and waited 3-4 days to give her a bath again. I don't think we used soap at all for the first few months.

Expecting baby #4!

January 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionGirl View Post
Is it really necesary in a vaginal delivery? I am still deciding on birth center vs hospital and I was just watching a video on the hospital website of the nursery and they said within an hour or so of being born they take the baby to the nursery put a probe on the baby to monitor temp, when their temp is 98 degrees they give them a bath and then they have to wait for baby's temp to rise back to 98 before they bring her back to the room. I really want uninterupted time with the baby in the first few hours for kangaroo care and breastfeeding and honestly don't want the baby leaving the room so they don't do anything I am not aware of.

My Bradley teacher has been telling us there is no reason to give a baby a bath in the first week or so. What have you done or what are you planning to do?
Ditto to the other ladies.

The hospital can't take your baby if you don't want them to. With Kailey, I didn't know how good the vernix was and she still had some of my blood on her hair (she had a lot of hair) so I made (well, asked...you know) the nurse to wash her head off at the sink in my room next to me, but that was it. The only time they took Kailey from me was to do some testing (the PKU? I think?) and she should only have been gone a few minutes. She was gone 50minutes and I asked for her back repeatedly. I just thought that was the stupidest thing ever to request for my child to be brought to me.

That's one of the many things that really cemented me into homebirthing from then on.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 12th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am probably doing the same thing Andrea did. My midwife brings these flowers and herbs for the first "bath" but we will not wash the vernix off. I will also be planning a water birth with this one. With our last, it was a hospital water birth and they let me keep my baby for about an hour and then they took him for a bath, if I knew what I know now I wouldn't have let them give him a bath.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

January 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree w/ the other ladies. There should be no reason to take your baby. They say to massage the vernix into baby's skin as it's really beneficial for them
January 12th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Super Mommy
I had my last 3 children at the hospital. They only let the babies stay for about a half hour or so, then they go and wash them. Then they had food sent for me. At the birth center I'm going to, they don't do the baths. She said that they like to leave that to the parents.

January 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They did bathe Jacob at the hospital, kinda. They had these wipe type things but there was just water on them and they wiped him down a little. DH was in RCIA at the time and had to leave for about an hour after Jacob was born. They were more than happy to wait until we were ready to do anything.

The only time Jacob left my room was for a hearing test. The lady offered to have me come with if I felt like it. I said no and consented (I almost went deaf as a child, so this was important to me). I had no fears she'd do anything because A) she wasn't actually a nurse and B.) she was very respectful and nice. She said it would take about a half hour, but brought him back in about 10 minutes saying "Yep, your lil guy can hear juuust fine." I could actually hear him crying down the hall, I guess the hearing test ticked him off

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 12th, 2011, 01:00 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I never really thought about it before birth...but was upset that they did bathe him without asking me. He had to go to NICU about ten minutes after birth (breathing and pulse-oxygen issues) and they did not wash him until he was stable. I was with him a lot that evening and through the night (although I was not allowed to stay though the whole night). But I figured when he was ready to come back to me, they would return him to me without doing anything unnecessary. But I noticed immediately when they brought him back that he was clean and I had missed it There are so many things I would do different if I had known. That is why I love this board...teaches me so many things.
January 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My hospital's policy is to wait several hours so baby gets a few good nursing sessions in. They found that the baby is more likely to be able to maintain a good body temp if they leave her with mom for a while. I don't think they bathed Abri until she was about 12 hours old. Even then, they did a little sponge bath on the bed in our room. She never left our sight for bathing or for the hearing test (they used portable machines for that).
January 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by corny7474 View Post
My hospital's policy is to wait several hours so baby gets a few good nursing sessions in. They found that the baby is more likely to be able to maintain a good body temp if they leave her with mom for a while. I don't think they bathed Abri until she was about 12 hours old. Even then, they did a little sponge bath on the bed in our room. She never left our sight for bathing or for the hearing test (they used portable machines for that).
Exactly. I hate how often I hear, "And then they took my baby and gave him a bath, and he OMGCOULDN'TMAINTAINTEMPERATURE and so they put him under the warmer. Goodness me, those doctors and nurses sure are heroes!"

Um... why don't we wait until baby is better able to maintain temperature on their own, and why don't we use skin-to-skin to get the baby back to temp? Is it really that hard?

This is probably the only thing I want that my midwives/hospital don't do as "standard." But, because they're very open-minded about birth and babies, I don't think it will be a problem to say, "Uh, no, you're not kidnapping my Princess."

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama

Last edited by NavyWifey; January 15th, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
January 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
I think the only instance where i would want to bath my baby soon after birth would be if he had poop all over him..

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

January 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Emm17's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Around here, they dont take the baby at all....they will bath, but only when your ready

January 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bre4thewin View Post
I think the only instance where i would want to bath my baby soon after birth would be if he had poop all over him..
That was my little angel. As she slid up my chest, she let loose on both of us. I just held her next to me, poo and all, until after the placenta was delivered (I was WAY beyond really caring about anything other than my baby being there at the time). Then they had DH use some water wipes to clean the poo off right next to the bed. We rubbed in as much vernix as we could, but she really didn't have much. She had a pocket of it in the small of her back I stole to rub into her poor little pruney, waterlogged hands and feet, and a little bit in some of her folds. After that, they gave her back to me to lay skin to skin to warm her up.

They did come to bathe her about 12 hours later (at midnight, when we had finally settled to try to nap ). They had said they would bring a portable bath, but the night nurse said she needed to be taken down to bathe, be photographed, and all that crap at the other end of the hall. She was cranky that I insisted on following her down, but I did. They brought a heat lamp to our room for her, but didn't say anything about it when I put her skin to skin again instead.

ETA: What little hair she did have was clumped together with dried blood by then, so I was okay with them washing her. I just would have preferred if they had stuck to the plan of bringing in a portable basin and letting DH do it.

January 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't bathe Lucius until March first (He was born February 13th.) He got wiped down with towels shortly after birth, but no real bath until we felt ready to attempt one. I don't think he was really all that dirty and he did have some vernix that must have absorbed into his skin or sloughed off onto his clothes...

January 13th, 2011, 06:07 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
with my hospital birth, we did rooming in and didn't allow them to take Cadie anywhere. I did allow a light bath on her feet and hands from the ink. They were really good about all our wishes but the nurse did get a little "***" about us not wanting her bathed.

Cadie only had a bit of vernix since she was 40 weeks gestation, Vivian (homebirth) had a ton because she was only 36 weeks.

you may want to bring something you approve along if you do allow a bit of washing because what ever they use will probably have lots of chemicals and scent. Most baby washes are full of chemicals. I highly recommend California Baby.
January 13th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Neither of my babies had much, if any, vernix because the were both past the EDD. They were both also covered in merconium, so the nurses kinda rinsed them off before handing them to me. I held & nursed both of them for almost an hour before they went for their hearing tests.
January 13th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Happy Mommy
L and C were never bathed in the hospital. bob won't be either.
January 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Abri was covered in meconium but they just wiped her off with a towel after suctioning her out. She was back on my chest just minutes after she was born once they decided she was fine
January 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon~maiden View Post
with my hospital birth, we did rooming in and didn't allow them to take Cadie anywhere. I did allow a light bath on her feet and hands from the ink. They were really good about all our wishes but the nurse did get a little "***" about us not wanting her bathed.

Cadie only had a bit of vernix since she was 40 weeks gestation, Vivian (homebirth) had a ton because she was only 36 weeks.

you may want to bring something you approve along if you do allow a bit of washing because what ever they use will probably have lots of chemicals and scent. Most baby washes are full of chemicals. I highly recommend California Baby.
Or request that they only use cloths and water. That's what our hospital did when we had Jacob. I think i would prefer this time around that Ben not be washed at the hospital at all, but if there isn't a way around it, I don't want anything but water used.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search