Any experience with Cervidil?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Crafty Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me start by saying, PLEASE send me labor vibes! I'm only 3 days over due, but my MW won't let me go over 7 days. We talked about what would happen if I make it to Thursday. She told me they would start Cervidil at nighttime, and if it does nothing, they have the option to send me home. DD came on her own at 40 weeks exactly, so I'm thinking that if I make it to Thursday, the induction should be pretty successful, hopefully without any pitocin. I did a little bit of research on the Cervidil, and it looks like the safest method, so I'm glad she offers that before the Pit. And I even read that in some cases, you can be sent home to labor after it's inserted! I was happy to read that, since I just HATE the hospital, and I don't want to think about what it would be like to spend my entire labor there again. My next appointment is Wednesday, and we'll get to talk more about the possible induction. I intend to ask her what would happen if I just don't show up, lol. I don't know if I'd have the balls to do that though, and I really love my MW and would hate to upset things like that. If I'm stubborn though, and let her know that this is NOT what I want, I think she MAY give me the option for another NST instead of an induction. I'm hoping for a few extra days to go on my own.
So anyway, what have you heard about Cervidil? Any experiences with it? What are the risk factors? And how "natural" is it, in terms of induction?

ETA: I had a NST and BPP today and was told that the baby is not at all engaged in my pelvis. DD dropped the day before I went into labor, but I think she was at least engaged in my pelvis before she dropped. This one is still floating. So I'm taking this induction talk seriously, and trying to come to terms with it now, just in case.

Thank you, AlexAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by Crafty Mama; January 24th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
January 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
would you consider trying acupuncture to induce?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was going to say acupuncture I have been on a ROLL with labor inductions lately and people HAVING their babies withint 14 hours of walking out of the office

Why won't your MW let you go more than 7 days past your due date? That makes no sense.

You can also try some deep squats and rolling on your birthing ball to open up the pelvis.

January 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM
My MW delivers at a hospital, and can only do what she's "allowed". At the practice she had before (when I had DD), she was allowed to let her patients go 42 weeks, but with this practice, the other OB's aren't comfortable with letting her patients go past 41 weeks. Like I said, I'm hoping that if I let her know how against it I am, she'll be lenient enough to give me another NST and I'll go on my own in another day or two.
I've never looked into acupuncture. How much does it cost? I'm usually stuck at home without a car all week, and have borrowing my mom's car for appointments. It would stink to try to fit something else in there, but if it's not too expensive, it might be an option. We don't have much wiggle room in our budget though.
I do appreciate the other suggestions, but if none of my home induction methods work, then I'll be facing the Cervidil, and I'd love to hear any personal experiences that I can. Any info on it?

January 24th, 2011, 04:39 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Here, acupuncture ranges from $60-125/session. I charge $80/hour session. You want to find someone who is experienced in doing labor induction and it should be done using electroacupuncture on the needles and a front and back treatment.

You can always try eggplant parm or spicy foods, lots of sex (or just orgasms).

January 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
And, the one that I hear constantly: Castor Oil. Not quite pleasant.

From my (not much, I admit) research: Better Cervidil then Miso. Miso is used off-label and is NOT approved for labor induction, even though it is used for it.

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
January 24th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I tried the Castor Oil a couple days ago. It landed me with 6 hours of contractions that were consistently 3 minutes apart. It was pretty disappointing, so I won't be trying that one again! lol

January 24th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would try every single natural technique in the book. If she doesn't let you go past 41 weeks, and won't do the NST, I'd probably just not show up for the induction. That's crazy that they won't let you go past 41 weeks.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
January 24th, 2011, 06:02 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree with Jennifer... "Let" you. Messed up way of thinking! Stupid hospitals! They let us sign waivers for epidurals, why not sign a waiver about NOT getting induced, saying you're aware of the (mainly imagined and exaggerated) risks?

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
January 24th, 2011, 06:19 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my acupuncturist charges $50/session for labor induction, but we live in the midwest. so things are usually a little cheaper out here.

all i know about cervadil is that unlike cytotec, it can be removed if things start to get too intense

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
January 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was induced with my first using pitocin and after 12 hours and still be only 2 cm, the OB let me sleep since my water was intact, and they inserted the cervadil before i went to bed. i slept well and didn't feel any contractions, but it effaced my cervix completely.
the next day he broke my water and started pit. so i have no experience with just cervadil. but i think if i HAD to be induced again, i would consider it.
i would def consider acupuncture if you can swing it. i know how hard it is having one car and being on a tight budget...i am in the same boat as far as that goes.
i hope you go into labor on your own soon! you are using EPO right? maybe try upping the EPO and spend A LOT of time on the birth ball to try and get hm engaged,

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
January 25th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Stupid "hospital policies". Stupid.

I agree, try acupuncture, acupressure, tons of orgasms, sitting on birth ball 24/7, eating turkey meat and e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. else out there as a natural method!

If you get to that point where you have to be induced, what about getting your membranes swept? I don't necessarily agree with it, but I would do that before using any medications first!

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 25th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard of women getting a pedicure and going into labor too because there are some pressure points on our ankles/feet that can trigger contractions. So that is another option maybe. Especially if they know you're trying to induce labor!

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh oh, and could you try EPO?

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
January 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would try nipple stimulation, accupunture (if you can), and all the other ideas the girls have mentioned here. I have also heard that semen has prostaglandins in it, which is what Cervadil uses to help ripen your cervix and hopefully trigger labor. That paired with contractions from orgasms might help. Who knows? It could work.

I agree that hospital policies can be seriously ridiculous. Just them trying to cover their butts...

KUP on how you're doing. Lots of labor vibes coming your way!

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
January 25th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Yes!!! EPO inserted vaginally at night, I think you can use up to 2,000mg (double check on that! lol), poke a hole in each one with a needle before insertion. Make sure the needle is disinfected. I would hold mine over a flame, wipe it off and then poke the pills.

Also, if you like oral, ingesting sperm works even better.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search