Saving the placenta?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How many of you ladies have saved and used your placenta after delivery?

Honestly, until I talked to my midwife about it at our last appointment, I thought is sounded totally weird, but after listening to the benefits of utilizing it, I am contemplating if I should save mine.

I was thinking that I might have someone do encapsulation with it, but my DH thinks that saving/using the placenta is totally disgusting. I'll admit, it's still a little strange and foreign to me, but doesn't seem nearly as off-the-wall as before.

Should I try to convince my DH to let me freeze it so if I have issues post-partum, I at least have the option of using it? Did any of you have to sell your DH on the idea? If so, how did you do it?

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
February 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Im getting mine encapsulated. Im super excited as i had PPD with my last! She also makes a heart print...she is my midwifes montrice so she will just take my placenta with her when she leaves! It does sound weird though.....

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

February 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I eased into the conversation with DH, and started telling him all the pros, and I was shocked when he was not only all for it, but agreed to encapsulate it for me! We didn't wind up doing it (long story) but hopefully your husband will surprise you like mine did!

February 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm thinking about saving it.. but not for encapsulation. It actually doesn't gross me out to do the pills, but I don't think I could handle eating it like some women do. To each their own though.

I DO think it would be kind of neat to do a placenta tree though. I wish I had known about it with DS1, so there could be a tree for each of them. Maybe we'll just plant two trees and only Mom and dad will know that its not quite the same.. lol.

I'd go for it if you want to do it. It can be wrapped up so he doesn't know what it is. And let's be honest, within a few weeks they're going to forget what it is anyway.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 22nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Tiff802's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dad is actually going to encapsulate it for me. I knew there was no chance that my dh would consider doing it, but I also knew my dad wouldn't have a problem at all with it.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy Vicki!

See my growing belly!

February 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my hubby is a farm boy, so nothing is weird to him. he's been known to play with cow placenta because he thought they were cool as kid but when i approached him he was kinda like "weirdddd" and then he thought about it and how every other mammal eats their placenta so there must be a reason and he was totally cool with it. he offered to encapsulate it for me, but i am paying $100.00 to get it done since i don't want it cooking while im home

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
February 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
Maybe with the next kid. For some reason, this one line of hippiedom that I just can't bring myself to cross yet!

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
February 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't do anything with my first's placenta since I didn't really know about placenta encapsulation...

I didn't have to sell anything with DH, I told him that after the experience we had at the hospital I am giving birth at home and am encapsulating my placenta but after I get a print or two of it... he just show his head, called me crazy, and said "you're the one eating it not me, so have at it."
February 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Mama View Post
I was thinking that I might have someone do encapsulation with it, but my DH thinks that saving/using the placenta is totally disgusting. I'll admit, it's still a little strange and foreign to me, but doesn't seem nearly as off-the-wall as before.
Ditto.
However my husband is fine if I decide to do it, but said he wants no part of it.
February 23rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
My hubby and friend are going to encapsulate mine for me!

February 23rd, 2011, 06:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I talked to my DH about this just the other day. He thinks I'm nuts, but I told him some of the benefits and he's on board.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
February 23rd, 2011, 06:22 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWifey View Post
Maybe with the next kid. For some reason, this one line of hippiedom that I just can't bring myself to cross yet!
Lol this made me

I think that's where I'm at too. I do think the placenta tree thing is neat though. DH just kinda turns the other way. He's not that concerned with it as long as he doesn't have to do anything.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
February 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's totally worth it. I encapsulated mine and encapsulate for other women. I love it. My DH thinks its cool, so I didn't have to sell him on it
February 23rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
jillmarie's Avatar Veteran
I think it's cool that women do that. I don't want to bother with it. My last birth was at home and the placenta ended up in our outside garbage can. This time, I have a good use for it. I am giving it to my sister. She is in school to be a midwife and her school always needs placentas to study. I am happy to give it to her.

February 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
We plant ours. Tanith has a pear tree, my loss has an apple tree, and Tesla's is still in the freezer waiting for a nut tree (that's what Daddy wants).

February 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had mine encapsulated!!
a local doula/friend of mine did it for me. i was going to sell my Ergo since i got a new one but instead i traded it to her for her encapsulation services.
they give me a great boost of energy and i really feel they have helped my overall well being postpartum. i am so happy i did it!
i took them twice a day for 2 weeks after birth and then once a week the 3rd week. now i just take them as needed. they are still in my freezer.
really it's no different than taking any other pill or vitamin.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
February 25th, 2011, 05:24 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
Hey there. I wrote a post on the placenta here. It covers all types of things to do with your placenta. I am a huge advocate of doing SOMETHING to honor this amazing organ that did something wonderful for your baby for the last 9 months.

I do lots of encapsulation for the mamas in my area, my kids even love watching (and sometimes helping) prepare it.

Bellies & Babies Blogger
February 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately this is one of the things I'm "giving up" in going for a smooth hospital NCB... just in an effort to not gross out any nurses or make my birth plan longer than it needs to be. Also, there are no doulas or other people in my area who would encapsulate it for me. I looked. I sort of live in a NCB-hippiedom desert. I would have to do it myself and it just seems like too much work when I'm learning to breastfeed and all that with Baby #1.

I ingested human placenta as part of a TCM herbal preparation for building blood - I didn't know what it was until my acupuncturist mentioned it after I'd been taking it for like 2 weeks!!! That was some years back, I think it's more regulated now and you can't get it in the USA anymore. Boy it really worked though, it was awesome. I kept taking it after I found out what it was, just because it WORKED. I had it in a powder mix that I had to stir into water and drink.

So I always tell that story, like to DH and my mom when I was telling them I'd love to encapsulate my placenta. They were grossed out, but had to agree that it was a lot grosser to be having some random poor Chinese woman's placenta than my own!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search