Backup doctors and hospitals Tiny update. :(

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are TTC this fall. For those who don't know me, my birth story is here (not for the GIP): http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...7-12-09-a.html and a recent thread about my dilemma here: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...hhhhhhhhh.html (Ughhhhhhhhhh) .

I am going to plan an HBAC with my amazing midwife. I need to have a backup doctor on board. I really got my heart set on Dr. F, not only because he is so amazing, but also because he delivers at the one amazing hospital (St, Lukes) with great c/s and mama-baby policies. I do not know how he will take being asked to do shadow care, and am TERRIFIED he will say no.

My midwife's back up delivers at a hospital that is pretty average for the area - not the best. BUT WAIT. I just went to his website and he also delivers at West Houston Methodist. This is a new hospital that is right next to my house - as in, it would be our emergency transfer. I already know he backs midwives...The Methodist system has a very decent reputation for mama-baby policies - not perfect, but workable.

It has only been open for deliveries for 2 months, so I have not heard ANYTHING about it yet. (Although I put out feelers to my doula friends in case they've heard anything.) I am having an appointment with my midwife to talk next Thursday. I guess I need to 1) talk to her, 2) talk to the doc, 3) tour the hospital, 4) decide.

It isn't St Luke's, but it sure would be nice to wrap up my midwife/doctor/emergency and non-emergency plans in one nice neat package.

I guess I just wanted to update everyone, since I know this will be ongoing and I will need the support. I just need good wishes, and of course advice always welcome!

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; April 26th, 2011 at 04:35 PM.
April 20th, 2011, 10:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
best of luck!!! We are contemplating maybe TTC in the next year (no time soon!)) and I really do not know what to do. My only options are a HBAC or a VBAC at a birth center about an hour away. And your birth was wayyy more traumatic than mine and I am petrified to even think about it right now, so I am very proud of you if that makes sense?

April 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Oh geez, I know right where you are. 6 months ago even THINKING about having to pick where to give birth was paralyzing.

April 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly and you get a good team together and plan in place for your HBAC!

April 22nd, 2011, 04:11 PM
pink_piggy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh, reading your birth story made me want to bawl! I'm so so so sorry you had to go through that. *big hugs to you* You should have never been treated that way and I seriously want to kick those midwives, the nurses and the a-hole dr in the head for you. I fear needing to transfer as well. One of the hospitals out here just had an issue w/ a transferring family and a know it all nurse calling cps on the family. I fear my baby being taken away from me. I don't understand how anyone thinks this is OK?! Ugh I'm sorry my heart just aches for you and I really hope that this time you get the birth you want. I'm glad your mw is so supportive and I hope that Dr F is on board and everything goes good w/ the back up hospital. *hugs*
April 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_piggy View Post
Oh my gosh, reading your birth story made me want to bawl! I'm so so so sorry you had to go through that. *big hugs to you* You should have never been treated that way and I seriously want to kick those midwives, the nurses and the a-hole dr in the head for you. I fear needing to transfer as well. One of the hospitals out here just had an issue w/ a transferring family and a know it all nurse calling cps on the family. I fear my baby being taken away from me. I don't understand how anyone thinks this is OK?! Ugh I'm sorry my heart just aches for you and I really hope that this time you get the birth you want. I'm glad your mw is so supportive and I hope that Dr F is on board and everything goes good w/ the back up hospital. *hugs*
Hon, you should NOT have been reading that 41 weeks pregnant! Thanks for the support. I am mostly healed now and only concerned with having the best possible experience this time, no matter what happens.

And my midwife, who has been delivering for 25 years, said she has never seen or even heard of anyone being treated like I was. Since she was born (of COURSE not before), I have heard nothing but terrible things about that hospital. For everything from broken bones to L&D, they just SUCK. And at the suckiest hospital, I managed to get the doc who has a HUUUUUGE chip on his shoulder against natural birth - let alone homebirth.

The two things I try to stress to homebirthers is to pack an honest-to-goodness transfer bag, just in case. I did and was so glad, although this time i have a much better idea what to bring. My friend did NOT, and running around trying to get her stuff together was just stupid because she could have done it herself. Also? Preregister at any and all hospitals you might transfer to. It just helps everything along.

I am sure your birth will go AWESOME.

April 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hope you can find some supportive alternatives!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011

Last edited by GrowBabyGrow; April 27th, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
April 26th, 2011, 04:37 PM
She wrote me not to go to her backup. He won't even do primary VBACs in the hospital much less back an HBAC. I am back at square one. I was so sad about this development I almost wanted to cry.

April 27th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
big huge hugs!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
April 27th, 2011, 04:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
((((hugs))))))

April 27th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I'm sorry to hear that he won't support it. But at least you know now instead of later...

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
April 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I am thinking at this point I might just sign up for the hospital ride, as much as I hate the idea.

April 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry it's not working out better for you! I know a hospital is still a hospital but hopefully this one will end up not being too bad.

April 27th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I am always prejudiced because I am a homebirther through and through, but the hospital is pretty darn amazing for a hospital. It is pretty much the only one here (out of dozens) that is. Almost everything I would ask for is already standard there, or at least common enough to not be a problem.

One of our ICAN ladies had to plan a cesarean because of a serious health problem. Before the scheduled date, her health deteriorated and they had to go sooner. They had to put her under general because of her health problem.

Under general, in an emergency c-section, and after the baby was out the nurse put her on mom and helped her to latch. While mom was unconscious, ON the table. So at least I can console myself with that - they are very serious about being mom and baby friendly - and they pride themselves on actually being evidence-based.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; April 27th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
April 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM
You know, the more I think about it the better it feels. I think Chris likes it better even though he didn't make those feelings known until I brought it up.

I spent 30 mins going through the renderings of the new maternity pavillion, and the sample birth plans. If I can have Dr. F, and Texas Children's, and my good friend who is a doula, and my amazing, supportive husband, then maybe I can be at peace with this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search