Any advice on how to get through it??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
I am 9 months pg with my second child (seven yrs apart). I have a private class this Saturday with a nurse that is dealt with natural childbirth. She said most of the class will take place in a delivery room (just me her and DH) and she will show me positions and what not that I can do to help ease the pain. I have so many mixed emotions. I'm worried that I'm going to give in and get an epi. Then I tell myself not to be so hard on myself..do what you have to do. What worked for you?
June 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The things that worked the best for me were laying kind of on my left side and completely relaxing my whole body, concentrating on belly breathing steadily in and out, and a couple affirmations (I am a strong woman and My body was made to do this). Also thinking through the contractions telling myself when the peak and release were just taking one contraction at a time.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
For sure taking one at a time.... that and doing whatever it takes to try to keep your body relaxed both during and after contractions. I found that concentrating on your breathing, the feel of the blanket, the sun hitting your skin, etc all helped distract me..

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>
June 20th, 2006, 03:28 PM
wonderfullymade's Avatar Doula & MW Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to wonderfullymade
I:

1) educated myself as much as possible, the more knowledge, the less fear - the less tension - the less unnecessary pain

2) learned to relax. Practice relaxation techniques like visualization, hypnosis, imagery, or tuning-in (whatever is more in line with your MO)

3) stay active as long as possible. Before labor, staying active and healthy in pregnancy will give you an easier labor. While IN labor, staying active (upright, walking, dancing, swaying, on all fours, etc...) lets gravity help things along and keeps unnecessary tension from your body.

4) Relaxation IN labor (positive affirmations, labor mantras, putting into action the relaxation techniques you practiced) will help you.

5) I also used hydrotherapy for a NAP with my first.

6) I also used lots of visualizing of my uterus and how it was working, how the baby was moving down, etc...

Bellies & Babies Blogger
June 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
aihsela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to aihsela Send a message via MSN to aihsela
Thanks girls .
June 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LadyInWaiting Send a message via MSN to LadyInWaiting
Thanks, that was very helpful.

June 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
katy1967
Hi, I just found this group, the natural childbirth one that is, today and am wondering what does BTDT mean?

Katy
June 22nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NaynayPie
Hi,

What worked best for me was reading everything I could find regarding natural childbirth. I especially liked Ina May Gaskin's midwifery books, which have personal accounts of different births, and A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth. Both of those helped to give me all the encouragement I needed to know that birth is natural and normal, and that our bodies are supposed to give birth. Throughout my labor I reminded myself that birth is just another body process. Another book that was extremely helpful was Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. The parts I liked the best were remembering that the uterus is a powerful muscle, "let that big bag of muscles work for you", and that relaxation helps ease any labor pain. A lot of pain is from being tense and nervous. Just let your body do it's job.

I had a natural hospital birth with my son. With this baby, we're going to have a homebirth waterbirth. I've enjoyed both pregancies the same, but I'm definitely getting better overall care with a midwife.

~Nay
June 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CharmieCM
Be 100% comfortable with your birth environment and everyone in it. Tell someone if you're not comfortable and make them MAKE it comfortable (even if this means throwing out a well-meaning family member or switching to a different nurse).

Vocalize. Don't be afraid to make some NOISE! Keep your sounds low and open. No high squealing or shrieks, as those make you tense up your bottom.

Relax. Let your body do this work. It was MADE to do this work and your tensing isn't going to help it at all.

MOVE. Don't "take to bed" as so many women seem to want to do. Keep about your normal activities until you absolutely can't do it anymore. In Birthing From Within, she tells of a MW who said to bake cookies during labor. When you start to burn the cookies (b/c of lack of focus), it's time to call the midwife/go to the hospital/get ready for the birth.
June 24th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Frelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to Frelle Send a message via AIM to Frelle Send a message via Yahoo to Frelle
youve gotten great advice!!!! The best thing you can do is read, reserach, and prepare yourself before you go in to birth naturally. These women know whereof they speak!

Thank you BAM for my signature!!

June 24th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My advice is don't fight the contractions. Accept them and breath through them and let them do their work. They hurt like he** sometimes, but try to remember they are good. I also did a kind of self-hypnosis with a focal point and that helped A LOT. The only bad thing was that right at the end the contractions got so bad I couldn't stay focused and would start to panic, but there were only about 10 contractions like that.

June 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Veteran
I would add to work with your support person on how much "support" you want. I thought I would be able to go through my relaxation exercises and visualizations on my own, but when I was in labor I really couldn't think about anything at all. I needed a lot of help from my husband to remind me to relax, breathe, etc. On the other hand, you might not want anyone talking to you at all, so prepare your support person to get some instructions (which might be strongly worded at the time) either way.

I also found that visualizing my labor and delivery in the weeks ahead helped me feel more confident when the time came. Just imagining the environment I was going to be in, positioning, and deep breathing helped the actual event feel not so intimidating. It was my first labor so I really didn't know what to expect in terms of pain but feeling comfortable with everything else helped me to focus on the new stuff. Good luck, you'll do wonderfully!

June 25th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had 3 naturals out of 5. I mainly found a focal point..wall clock this last time..and just breathed thru the contractions and told myself not much longer...however I am one of the lucky ones with short labors and didn't have as long as some to deal with it. By the time I was at the hospital there was no walking around for me!

July 4th, 2006, 07:17 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Water!!! I think a shower or tub is the best pain relief there is.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search